Rotate image - View only

Ask for help and post your question on how to use XnView Classic.

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

Guest1

Rotate image - View only

Post by Guest1 »

Hi,

one feature I miss in XnView is the ability to rotate an image but without changing the file. So change the orientation only "on-screen".

Am I just missing something, or is this simply not possible.

Using the regular "Rotate" (Shift-L or Shift-R) is not what I am looking for, because it marks the file as beeing modified and thus XnView will prompt me to save the file but as I don't want to touch the original file, it's very cumbersome.

Regards and thanks for a great programme!
Dreamer
XnThusiast

Post by Dreamer »

Go to menu > Tools > JPEG Lossless transformations > Rotate...

Or try Options (F12) > General > Operations > Rotate images based on EXIF orientation option.
Dreamer

Post by Guest »

Dreamer wrote:Go to menu > Tools > JPEG Lossless transformations > Rotate...

Or try Options (F12) > General > Operations > Rotate images based on EXIF orientation option.
Thanks for the answer, but neither option is what I'm looking for. The lossless transformation will modify the file (which I do not want), and my pictures usually do not contain the EXIF orientation (because I have turned that off on my camera for various reasons).
If you check out IrfanView its "R" and "L" shortcuts is exactly what I'm looking for.
Drahken

Post by Drahken »

The only thing you can do is disable the ask about saving function (either temporarily or permanently). If you're rotating a bunch of images in a single session, when the thing pops up asking you to save, just click the don't ask again box before clicking no, then it won't ask again for the rest of that session.
Alternatively you can disable that prompt permanently by going into the xnview folder, opening up the xnview.ini file in notepad, find the "ShowSaveDlg=0" line, and change 0 to 130. You'll never get prompted to save again (unless you edit the ini file again and change it back). {You can still save normally, you just won't get that annoying prompt anymore.}

Post by Guest »

The only thing you can do is disable the ask about saving function
But then those files would be saved automatically, right?

So what you are saying is, that there is no way of rotating the image "just for display purposes" without affecting the file on the disk.
Too bad :(
Drahken

Post by Drahken »

No. If you tell it to never ask, it won't save unless -you- tell it to. Setting it to not ask means that it won't do -anything- unless you tell it to save the file.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

Anonymous wrote:
The only thing you can do is disable the ask about saving function
But then those files would be saved automatically, right?

So what you are saying is, that there is no way of rotating the image "just for display purposes" without affecting the file on the disk.
Too bad :(
In (browser) fullscreen, you can rotate picture only for the view
Pierre.
helmut

Post by helmut »

Sometimes, one just wants a quick rotate for viewing the file properly. For this purpose, I also think that there should be a way for rotating files for viewing, and when navigating to the next window there should be no asking "Do you want to save".

I'm not quite sure how this could be done and handled easily. Perhaps an option "Do not handle 90 degree rotations as change"?
Drahken

Post by Drahken »

An option listed under the view menu named something like "rotate view" would be better. In fact, I could have sworn that there was a setting in the options alongside the fit/zoom settings to always rotate images, but there isn't.

Post by Guest »

xnview wrote:In (browser) fullscreen, you can rotate picture only for the view
How do you do this? I can't find a menu entry in the popup? What is the shortcut for this?
helmut

Post by helmut »

Anonymous wrote:
xnview wrote:In (browser) fullscreen, you can rotate picture only for the view
How do you do this? I can't find a menu entry in the popup? What is the shortcut for this?
Shortcuts for Rotate Right/Left are Shift+R and Shift+L. Shift+Cursor Right and Shift+Cursor Left works also.

Be aware that there are two fullscreen modes: Browser fullscreen (aka fullscreen light) and normal fullscreen mode. The above works only in Fullscreen light which you open by selecting a thumbnail and then pressing "F11" or using context menu "View in Fullscreen".