Zoom to the mouse cursor position.

Ideas for improvements and requests for new features in XnView MP

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

FKCapitalism2

Zoom to the mouse cursor position.

Post by FKCapitalism2 »

XnView MP does not zoom on mouse cursor position.

I want to zoom on the house to the left, i move cursor over the house

I press plus (+) key on the keyboard multiple times and XnView MP zooms in center of the image, rather than position of the mouse cursor.

In order to zoom on the house i have to do too much work:

1. zoom little, say 70%
2. pan to desired area of interest and place it in the center of screen (without any crosshair to aid)
3. zoom again to desired zoom level, say 200%

There is also a problem if area of interest is too far to the side of the image, i can't place it on the center of the screen at zoom level 70% therefore forced to repeat step #1 and #2 multiple times.

And if i first zoom image 200% using plus (+) key on keyboard then use pan tool this takes lots of panning and searching for the area of interest that i want to see.

Please make ability for zoom with plus (+) key on keyboard to center on the current position of the mouse cursor, rather than center of the screen.

P.S. Anticipating question "why don't use Zoomed Selection tool instead", please see related feature request for more details.
user0
XnThusiast

Re: Zoom to the mouse cursor position.

Post by user0 »

FKCapitalism2 wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 5:53 am XnView MP does not zoom on mouse cursor position.
ctrl+scroll
FKCapitalism2

Post by FKCapitalism2 »

user0 wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 7:16 am
FKCapitalism2 wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 5:53 am XnView MP does not zoom on mouse cursor position.
ctrl+scroll
Thanks, did not know about it.

However still need same option for keyboard zoom if someone has mouse without scroll wheel (e.g. laptop trackpad) or scroll wheel is broken.
Lefebvre

Post by Lefebvre »

Hy
This feature already exists!
Just assign the "Move image" function in Preference/Interface/Mouse to the left mouse button and the zoom goes to 100%
We definitely discover new things every day with the settings of XnView
FKCapitalism2

Post by FKCapitalism2 »

Lefebvre wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 2:08 pm Hy
This feature already exists!
Just assign the "Move image" function in Preference/Interface/Mouse to the left mouse button and the zoom goes to 100%
We definitely discover new things every day with the settings of XnView
I am well aware of that feature and using it every day, what if i need to zoom 200% or more, i still prefer zoom with keyboard (numpad + key) option (already implemented) only provide option to have zoom center follow mouse cursor (already implemented for another feature), not simply zoom center of the image.
Lefebvre

Post by Lefebvre »

Good morning,
Indeed it's a bit like a magnifying glass what you want, with an adjustable ratio. I have misunderstood
FKCapitalism2

Post by FKCapitalism2 »

Lefebvre wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 11:38 am Good morning,
Indeed it's a bit like a magnifying glass what you want, with an adjustable ratio. I have misunderstood
There's also already implemented magnifier functionality, when set select mouse left button to Move Picture then press and hold left mouse button - can use scroll wheel to zoom in and out.

But this requires mouse with scroll wheel, on laptop this won't work, this is why i want alternative keyboard option for magnifier.