Preview thumbnails are not rotated

*** Please report new bugs here! ***

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview, Dreamer

xnview
Author of XnView

Re: Preview thumbnails are not rotated

Post by xnview »

bege wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 5:17 pm So {EXIF:Orientation} is useless in image view? I cannot see, whether the image is displayed in the original orientation or rotated?
yes, will be always 1
Pierre.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

FKCapitalism wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 5:37 pm Update, somehow it does manage to save orientation for some files, its unknown to me how.

All there ARW files are new from today.
Could you send me a ARW file?
Pierre.
bege

Post by bege »

xnview wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 7:15 am
bege wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 5:17 pm So {EXIF:Orientation} is useless in image view? I cannot see, whether the image is displayed in the original orientation or rotated?
yes, will be always 1
It should show the original orientation when the file is just displayed and has not been edited.

What about 2. in this post? viewtopic.php?p=175853#p175853
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

bege wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 6:45 pm It should show the original orientation when the file is just displayed and has not been edited.
No, because if you save it, exif orientation will have new value, so it shows the current value.
That?
"2. inconsistent meta data (maybe reason for the first issue?) "
Pierre.
bege

Post by bege »

xnview wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 12:47 pm
bege wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 6:45 pm It should show the original orientation when the file is just displayed and has not been edited.
No, because if you save it, exif orientation will have new value, so it shows the current value.
The current value before saving is "Rotate 90 CW".
That?
Yes
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

bege wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 2:29 pm The current value before saving is "Rotate 90 CW".
the current value (in bitmap) is no exif rotation
That?
Yes
What do you means by inconsistent metadata ?
Pierre.
bege

Post by bege »

xnview wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 2:40 pm
bege wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 2:29 pm The current value before saving is "Rotate 90 CW".
the current value (in bitmap) is no exif rotation
OK, I give up.
xnview wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 12:47 pm That?
bege wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 2:29 pmYes
Pierre, I am very grateful for XnViewMP. But it is very strenuous and meanwhile annoying to repeat many arguments two or three times. Please, read my posts fully.
With respect to "inconsistent meta data", it is deliberately explained in the linked post above.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

bege wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 5:25 pm
xnview wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 2:40 pm the current value (in bitmap) is no exif rotation
OK, I give up.
Sorry but when you load an image file in 'edit mode', EXIF orientation field is changed, so you see 'no rotation' in EXIF tab. If you save it, the file will have this new orientation.
The only way to see the original orientation of the file is to check the Exiftool tab
xnview wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 12:47 pm That?
bege wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 2:29 pmYes
Pierre, I am very grateful for XnViewMP. But it is very strenuous and meanwhile annoying to repeat many arguments two or three times. Please, read my posts fully.
With respect to "inconsistent meta data", it is deliberately explained in the linked post above.
The Makernotes field is not used (should be perhaps changed too)

The global problem is not related to EXIF orientation re-save but with the catalog, please check next version, i've fixed a problem similar to your problem.
Pierre.
bege

Post by bege »

xnview wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 7:13 am The global problem is not related to EXIF orientation re-save but with the catalog, please check next version, i've fixed a problem similar to your problem.
Would you, please, provide the mentioned new version? For download there is still 0.99.7. Thanks.
trance

Post by trance »

Why MP? i created this thread in Classic - Bug reports.
So the bug is present - different orientation in thumbnails, not showing orientation icon.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/16bqY-G ... sp=sharing
FKCapitalism

Post by FKCapitalism »

Lets get some dust off this thread, i have problem with images taken in portrait mode as JPEG files not showing properly in folder thumbnails only, they however do show properly once folder is open.

Thumbnails show sideways on second folder.
1.jpg
Thumbnails show properly, once folder is open.
2.jpg

I have all three options set.
- General>Rotate images according to EXIF orientation
- Browser>Misc>Change EXIF orientation
- Browser>Misc>Use lossless if possible

Uploaded files here.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

ok, this will be fixed in next release....
Pierre.
Damit

Post by Damit »

I am also trying to figure out why my images are not displaying consistently. I am coming from ACDSee and all my thumbnails are displayed with the proper orientation, however, in XnView MP only the .ARW files seem to orient properly in the Thumnails. I did rotate the images in ACDSee according to EXIF info, but this does not impact the way the images are displayed in File Explorer, where they display the same as in ACDSee.

I have Rotate images according to EXIF orientation tag, Change EXIF orientation ONLY (if Possible), and Use lossless rotation (if possible) all checked.

Also, it seems my .ARW thumbnails are of much higher quality than my jpegs. Is there a reason for this?
Lastly, my video files, which consist of .mp4 and .mov files are not showing previews in the Tumbnails. Any way to fix that?
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

Damit wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 7:34 pm I am also trying to figure out why my images are not displaying consistently. I am coming from ACDSee and all my thumbnails are displayed with the proper orientation, however, in XnView MP only the .ARW files seem to orient properly in the Thumnails. I did rotate the images in ACDSee according to EXIF info, but this does not impact the way the images are displayed in File Explorer, where they display the same as in ACDSee.

I have Rotate images according to EXIF orientation tag, Change EXIF orientation ONLY (if Possible), and Use lossless rotation (if possible) all checked.

Also, it seems my .ARW thumbnails are of much higher quality than my jpegs. Is there a reason for this?
Lastly, my video files, which consist of .mp4 and .mov files are not showing previews in the Tumbnails. Any way to fix that?
Please send me some sample files?
Pierre.