0.99.7: M.2 drive not readable

Ask for help and post your question on how to use XnView MP.

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

rnmerchant

0.99.7: M.2 drive not readable

Post by rnmerchant »

Just updated to the most recent version: 99.7
With this the program doesn't seem to want to read one of my M.2 drives.

I have a SSD, a conventional platter HD, and 2 M.2 ssd's. All but one work fine. One of them show up in the 'file explorer' window but will not open or show thumbs. Neither root nor subdirectory. I did try a complete uninstall and reinstall but the problem stayed unchanged.

Worked fine before. XN Classic continues to work fine.

Any thoughts on this? Seems and odd change to have happened.

The drive is a Plextor PX-256M8PeG on an Asus X570 motherboard, Ryzen 2600 processor, and NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670 video card. No hard drive problems are reported.

Richard :?
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: update to 99.7 - M.2 drive

Post by xnview »

You can browse this drive with XnView MP, but you can with XnView Classic or windows explorer, right?
Pierre.
rnmerchant

Post by rnmerchant »

I cannot browse with XnView MP but I can with the others.

Yes, this is correct. Or, more specifically, I can identify the drive and the folders in the XnV MP "folders" window/tab but when I click on the folder it does not "open" that folder, or show the thumbnails in the thumbnail window. The thumbnail window remains on the originally viewed folder, and actions on the thumbnails (eg. Info window) reflect the originally viewed folder's files.

Richard
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

rnmerchant wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 7:27 pm I cannot browse with XnView MP but I can with the others.
Yes sorry
Yes, this is correct. Or, more specifically, I can identify the drive and the folders in the XnV MP "folders" window/tab but when I click on the folder it does not "open" that folder, or show the thumbnails in the thumbnail window. The thumbnail window remains on the originally viewed folder, and actions on the thumbnails (eg. Info window) reflect the originally viewed folder's files.
the drive is connected as letter?
Pierre.
rnmerchant

Post by rnmerchant »

Sorry - I've been away.

Yes, the drive has it's own drive letter...

But now you are going to think I'm just a crazy maluser of your program... It seems to me that when I started with this issue it was my M.2 drive E: which was giving the trouble. Now today it is my M.2 Drive H: ... but this time, it will open the various subdirectories of the drive - but as with my previous note, when clicking on any of the folders/subdirectories on this 'problem' drive they do not open to show thumbnails of the images in that folder.

As before, all the other directories work fine.

Rather seems like it might be a problem with my system, though none are obvious. I've checked the disks with Disk Management and they are all recorded as healthy and without problems.

I'll reboot and investigate further - but not now, it's getting late over here.

Richard
rnmerchant

Post by rnmerchant »

I thought I would re-check my problem.

I thought this was just with the most recent version of XNViewMP - so clean unistalled and installed 99.6 . Same problem with my H: drive. So I went back to 99.1... Same problem. Recheck, no problem with XNV Classic.

The drive is this: WD Black™ SN750 500 GB NVMe/PCIe M.2 internal SSD M.2 NVMe PCIe . According to Windows10, and the WesternDigital software, the drive is healthy...

Doesn't make sense. Perhaps I'll try going back to an earlier version. However, not the end of the world!

Richard
rnmerchant

Post by rnmerchant »

Uninstalled 99.7 and installed 0.94.1 (64 bit, Nov 21 2019).

The program works as it should. All drives are visible and can be viewed and modified...

Interesting, though, that with 99.1 I was able to create a new folder on the "suspect" H: drive. Still wouldn't view folders on the drive (I omitted to check whether it would view the new folder, unfortunately, before uninstalling).

I have to wonder whether I was just not giving the program time to build thumbnails. But I believe once I did go away for a couple of hours (food reigns!) and this did not make a difference.

Rihcard
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

rnmerchant wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 8:07 pm Uninstalled 99.7 and installed 0.94.1 (64 bit, Nov 21 2019).

The program works as it should. All drives are visible and can be viewed and modified...
It's crazy, i can send you a test version to understand the problem?
Pierre.
rnmerchant

Post by rnmerchant »

Of course. Richard
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

rnmerchant wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 11:43 pm Of course. Richard
In the folder tree, do you see the drive?
Pierre.
rnmerchant

Re: 99.7: M.2 drive not readable

Post by rnmerchant »

(I had ver.99.1 installed but put 99.7 back on, fresh download, to try this for sure).

Yes, I can see the drive (all my drives) in the folder pane. In fact I can even create a new subdirectory in that pane. I can 'right-click' and view properties, etc, as normal.

However the thumbnail view does not update to view that folder. Ive double and triple clicked and all the things that one might think of doing.

Screenshot attached...

:|

Richard
Screen Shot 02-22-22 at 04.39 PM.PNG
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

i send you a PM
Pierre.
rnmerchant

Post by rnmerchant »

I'm sorry: I don't see a PM (private message)...
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

rnmerchant wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 3:12 am I'm sorry: I don't see a PM (private message)...
do you have it now?
Pierre.
rnmerchant

Post by rnmerchant »

Pierre has, I think, identified the problem.

For reasons unknown to me I had a entry in my registry under "nodrives" (HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer\nodrives ) which appears to be a way to hide the existence of a drive to the outside world (and other software I assume). This is not something that I am aware that I configured, but who knows... Furthermore the affected drive letter seemed only to be affected in XnViewMP (which does seem rather unlikely) (but this is Microsoft, after all).

In any case I deleted the offending and perhaps unnecessary registry entry (having made a backup first!), rebooted, and now I can see and manipulate the drive in both XnView MP and Classic.

Mark issue resolved!

Thanks to Pierre for his time.