XnView is so much better and faster at displaying these images, so I use XnView.
Pierre, if you could just add a "Book Mode" to XnView, I think you could attract lots of new users - XnView could become the most popular comic reader program! It would be very simple to do…
How it works
- Press 'b' to turn on Book Mode (the message "Book Mode" appears). Press 'b' again to turn it off (the message "Book Mode off" appears.)
- In Book Mode, all images are displayed in pairs of 2 - side by side.
- Image 1 is always shown alone (it's the front cover).
- Pairs of images begin from image 2 onwards.
- Pairs are scaled so their heights always match (widths don't need to match).
- If the width of the left page is more than 1.5 times the width of the right page, the left page is likely a double-page scan and should be shown alone.
- XnView is able to open Comic Book archives (.cbr and .cbz) - these are just rar/zip archives.
- In Book Mode, thumbnails could also be grouped as pairs (this feature is not essential).
- I think this would be an attractive way to view ANY collection of portrait images, even if they're not comics.
To make it look like a book, simply add a black gradient to the left page, as shown here: