Dock the edit window for IPTC

Ideas for improvements and requests for new features in XnView MP

Moderators: XnTriq, xnview

Post Reply
SergSA
Posts: 22
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:35 am
Location: Ukraine
Contact:

Dock the edit window for IPTC

Post by SergSA » Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:48 am

I propose to add the ability to pin the IPTC editing window, so as not to call it each time to edit the metadata of the next image.

User avatar
xnview
Author of XnView
Posts: 31166
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2003 7:31 am
Location: France
Contact:

Re: Dock the edit window for IPTC

Post by xnview » Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:43 am

in edit mode?
Pierre.

SergSA
Posts: 22
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:35 am
Location: Ukraine
Contact:

Re: Dock the edit window for IPTC

Post by SergSA » Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:07 pm

xnview wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:43 am
in edit mode?
Yes, so that you can edit IPTC without invoking a new window.

Carismarkus
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:41 pm

Re: Dock the edit window for IPTC

Post by Carismarkus » Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:51 pm

I just wanted to open a new topic and then I've seen that there is already one :)
Oh yes, this would be a great progress! Especialy (in my case) the IPTC keywords field. With focus on that field even after switching images ("sticky") would speed up many things.

Carismarkus
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:41 pm

Re: Dock the edit window for IPTC

Post by Carismarkus » Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:31 pm

Update: I've just found a software called "iTag" which is only made for Preview + IPTC. But it's definitly far away from the quality of XnView! But the pros: Preview and mass-tagging within one window.

User avatar
xnview
Author of XnView
Posts: 31166
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2003 7:31 am
Location: France
Contact:

Re: Dock the edit window for IPTC

Post by xnview » Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:05 pm

and why you don't use previous/next in IPTC dialog (from browser mode)?
Pierre.

Carismarkus
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:41 pm

Re: Dock the edit window for IPTC

Post by Carismarkus » Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:01 pm

xnview wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:05 pm
and why you don't use previous/next in IPTC dialog (from browser mode)?
This ok for single photos. With the software mentioned above (and with Adobe Bridge CC too as I've found out yesterday, but thats another thing) you can bulk edit these fields for e.g. 20 photos with one click from the thumbnail mode.

User avatar
xnview
Author of XnView
Posts: 31166
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2003 7:31 am
Location: France
Contact:

Re: Dock the edit window for IPTC

Post by xnview » Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:00 am

Carismarkus wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:01 pm
This ok for single photos. With the software mentioned above (and with Adobe Bridge CC too as I've found out yesterday, but thats another thing) you can bulk edit these fields for e.g. 20 photos with one click from the thumbnail mode.
you can do that for multiple photos too with XnView MP
Pierre.

Tehbotol
Posts: 15
Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2018 3:28 pm

Re: Dock the edit window for IPTC

Post by Tehbotol » Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:38 am

ah i just notice that you can do multiple edit with the IPTC editor but you need to select multiple images first, or else the next & previous button is greyed out
also when you multiple select a images and there is an psd file in one of the selected one then the Edit IPTC menu is greyed out .

so i agree that a possibility to dock the iptc editor will be much more easier to edit multiple images IPTC
xnview wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:00 am
Carismarkus wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:01 pm
This ok for single photos. With the software mentioned above (and with Adobe Bridge CC too as I've found out yesterday, but thats another thing) you can bulk edit these fields for e.g. 20 photos with one click from the thumbnail mode.
you can do that for multiple photos too with XnView MP

User avatar
xnview
Author of XnView
Posts: 31166
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2003 7:31 am
Location: France
Contact:

Re: Dock the edit window for IPTC

Post by xnview » Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:25 am

Tehbotol wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:38 am
ah i just notice that you can do multiple edit with the IPTC editor but you need to select multiple images first, or else the next & previous button is greyed out
also when you multiple select a images and there is an psd file in one of the selected one then the Edit IPTC menu is greyed out .
If the menu was not greyed, and next&previous button works even you select one file, will be better?
Pierre.

Tehbotol
Posts: 15
Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2018 3:28 pm

Re: Dock the edit window for IPTC

Post by Tehbotol » Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:33 am

yes it's definitely better but in my opinion it's much better to have the option to dock it like the categories section
but the prev-next without then need to select multiple file is okay compared to now.
xnview wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:25 am
Tehbotol wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:38 am
ah i just notice that you can do multiple edit with the IPTC editor but you need to select multiple images first, or else the next & previous button is greyed out
also when you multiple select a images and there is an psd file in one of the selected one then the Edit IPTC menu is greyed out .
If the menu was not greyed, and next&previous button works even you select one file, will be better?

User avatar
xnview
Author of XnView
Posts: 31166
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2003 7:31 am
Location: France
Contact:

Re: Dock the edit window for IPTC

Post by xnview » Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:52 am

ok, and for you dock IPTC in Edit mode is better than having IPTC pane in browser mode?
Pierre.

Tehbotol
Posts: 15
Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2018 3:28 pm

Re: Dock the edit window for IPTC

Post by Tehbotol » Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:38 am

ah sorry i do meant it's better to have IPTC Pane in browser mode
and maybe enable prev/next in edit mode without the need to select the images first
xnview wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:52 am
ok, and for you dock IPTC in Edit mode is better than having IPTC pane in browser mode?

User avatar
xnview
Author of XnView
Posts: 31166
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2003 7:31 am
Location: France
Contact:

Re: Dock the edit window for IPTC

Post by xnview » Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:51 am

Tehbotol wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:38 am
ah sorry i do meant it's better to have IPTC Pane in browser mode
Sorry but which is better, IPTC dialog as pane in browser or edit mode?
Pierre.

Tehbotol
Posts: 15
Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2018 3:28 pm

Re: Dock the edit window for IPTC

Post by Tehbotol » Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:17 pm

IPTC dialog as pane in browser mode seem better
xnview wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:51 am
Tehbotol wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:38 am
ah sorry i do meant it's better to have IPTC Pane in browser mode
Sorry but which is better, IPTC dialog as pane in browser or edit mode?

Post Reply