learning metadata storage methods for category/comment

Ask for help and post your question on how to use XnView MP.

Moderators: XnTriq, xnview

TyMay

learning metadata storage methods for category/comment

Post by TyMay » Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:49 pm

I am new to xnview and wanting to understand which types of user defined metadata are stored external without requiring embedding within each image file.
Comments are user derived and have a foot print in the "descript.ion" file for each folder known to xnview.
Comments seem to be created only through the Rclick context of thumbnails within Browser View "EditComment"
In the SearchTool Comments are searchable by the Add Menu but are called "Embedded Comments" after selection
Is that a misnomer?
I have not found a search input dialog that successfully pulls an image into the browser based on comment tag in "descript.ion"
Is it fair to say that comments are never written into the embedded metadata of an image?
These comments by sidecar file are not the same as the comment field in

CATEGORY
I have successfully forced category writes into IPTC and XMP fields but in my cataloging I would like to avoid writing into these image embedded regions
CATEGORY(Not embedded)
I notice this excellent Category Manager tool in the Browser displaying Categoriies and Sets which can be toggled on tree menu.
If I toggle the category for a thumbnail it retains the tagged setting for that thumbnail e ven after exit restart XnView despite the absence of any display of IPTC or XMP tabs in the general viewer for embedded metadata.
This leads me to believe there is at least temporary storage for Category "Manager" metadata external to the target image files.
Is this a correct deduction?
If so where/how is the category data stored (not in descripti,ion sidecar file)?
Is this a viable long term storage scheme for someone who wants to avoid writing organizational data into original image files?

Distrusting my understanding I hope for some expert explanation.and then I can learn how to avoid certain tools and menu choices and also safely configure Settings for metadata.

Ty

m.Th.
XnThusiast

Re: learning metadata storage methods for category/comment

Post by m.Th. » Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:55 pm

Read this: https://www.xnview.com/wiki/index.php/C ... _XnView_MP

Besides that:

"descript.ion" is legacy - a very old internet standard from the age of BBSes. It has its merits tho.

The best way to persist the RCK (Rating, Colors, Keywords = Categories in XnView's terminology), comments and other metadata with the files are XMP sidecars / info.
This leads me to believe there is at least temporary storage for Category "Manager" metadata external to the target image files.
Is this a correct deduction?
Yes - but it isn't temporary at all. :)

If you don't want to save your RCK & al. with your files then just disable the corresponding settings in Tools | Settings because anyway these cataloging features are saved in the Program's database. In fact when you filter your images by eg. Categories, the program uses the DB which is waaay faster than searching on disk. You will see that using the "Categories Filter" pane in order to filter by RCK is real-time, compared with a slow search on disk.

IPTC / XMP window is targeted to the users which want to store the data IN files. In order to catalog your files via DB use "Categories" and "Category Sets" panes (you should have them already on screen - if not, then you will find them in the menu View | Data Pane)
If so where/how is the category data stored (not in descripti,ion sidecar file)?
In the program's database - Catalog in XnView's terms.

The database is pretty fast (based on SQLite) and it is managed automatically behind the scenes. There are, in fact, two databases: one for the thumbs (thumbs.db) and the other one for the metadata - XnView.db. You can see their location (for backup purposes - do not mess with them otherwise) in Tools | Settings | Integration - click on "Open the Catalog Location". You can move them on a 2ndary SSD for maximum speed, if you want.

just my 0.02c++ & HTH

If you want to ask something else, feel free :)
m. Th.

The Ascetic Experience - The best photos and texts from Holy Mountain (Athos)

- Dark Themed XnViewMP 0.90 64bit & XnView 2.00 x64 on Win7 x64 -