Pasting a selection into other programs works differently in XnView MP

Ask for help and post your question on how to use XnView MP.

Moderators: XnTriq, xnview

RNP

Pasting a selection into other programs works differently in XnView MP

Post by RNP » Sun Dec 23, 2018 7:36 pm

I use very frequently XnView to get selected parts of a screen shot into a document of another application (e.g. Word, Powerpoint etc.).

For this I do the following steps under XnView classic: (a) I take a screeenshot using XnView, then (b) select an area of the shot by drawing a regtangle (but without cropping), the (c) do a CRTL C which copies the image in the rectangle which (d) I then repaste in a document of a different application (Word, Powerpoint etc.). This process ist fast and very efficient.

When I do the same in XnView MP it does not seem to work: Here (a) capturing a screenshot is not problem, (b) drawing a selection rectangle of the shot seems to work as well (but is different in apperance : everything outside the rectangle appears grey); I can also do CRTL C for copying my selection, but (d) when I then try to paste my selection via CTRL V in my Word or Powerpoint document, I get queer messages about format problems and I see nothing pasted.

For me it looks as if XnView Clasisc and XnView MP differ, and a useful functionality is no longer supported by XnView MP. Or did I do something wrong in XnView MP I am not yet too familiar with ?

Anybody has experienced this problem as well and can offer a solution ? Thanks for helping me out.

For the time being I'm reverting back to XnView Classic. :(

Ruprecht

cday
XnThusiast

Re: Pasting a selection into other programs works differently in XnView MP

Post by cday » Sun Dec 23, 2018 8:45 pm

RNP wrote:
Sun Dec 23, 2018 7:36 pm
I use very frequently XnView to get selected parts of a screen shot into a document of another application (e.g. Word, Powerpoint etc.).

For this I do the following steps under XnView classic: (a) I take a screeenshot using XnView, then (b) select an area of the shot by drawing a regtangle (but without cropping), the (c) do a CRTL C which copies the image in the rectangle which (d) I then repaste in a document of a different application (Word, Powerpoint etc.). This process ist fast and very efficient.

When I do the same in XnView MP it does not seem to work: Here (a) capturing a screenshot is not problem, (b) drawing a selection rectangle of the shot seems to work as well (but is different in apperance : everything outside the rectangle appears grey); I can also do CRTL C for copying my selection, but (d) when I then try to paste my selection via CTRL V in my Word or Powerpoint document, I get queer messages about format problems and I see nothing pasted.

For me it looks as if XnView Clasisc and XnView MP differ, and a useful functionality is no longer supported by XnView MP. Or did I do something wrong in XnView MP I am not yet too familiar with ?

I've just tried with XnView MP [0.89, so not the latest version] and pasted successfully into Word 2010 and LibreOffice Writer and Draw, so I'm afraid that isn't much help... :wink:

Which program versions are you using, in case that is relevant? And what is the text of the error messages, in case that is useful?

Can anyone else reproduce the problem Ruprecht describes :?:

When I do the same in XnView MP ... (b) drawing a selection rectangle of the shot seems to work as well (but is different in appearance : everything outside the rectangle appears grey...

If you would prefer not to have the area outside a selection darkened, the following setting can be changed:

Tools > Options... > View -- View tab -- Show highlight selection