Freeze when navigating to next image

Ask for help and post your question on how to use XnView Classic.

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

Freeze when navigating to next image

Post by Guest »

The following causes problems for me in Windows Xp, P4 3GHz, SATA Drive and 1.5GB Ram:

1. Open an existing image in Xn View
2. Use either the mouse wheel or next button to view the next image.

Result: Xn View performs a task (maybe some kind of caching?) with all images in the folder causing it to freeze with 50% processor usage till this task is complete. Once this task has been performed once you may continue using the program, moving forward / backward through images with no problem.

With a small number of images in the directory this is barely noticable. When dealing with 800 files totaling 120MB however this process can take over one minuite!

Version 1.61 did not have this problem so it may lie with features or changed made since this version.

Thanks,
Somnia Memorias
lawndart

Post by lawndart »

You may have overlooked a new browser>filelist>option:

Set 'scan headers in folders' option to 'never'.
-this will cause Xnview to recognize by extension instead of scanning
each file for content. This will speed things up in directories with
huge numbers of files.

The 'recognize by extension' option seems completely unused since
'scan headers' option works and now performs this task.
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: Image Preview Next Freeze

Post by xnview »

Anonymous wrote:The following causes problems for me in Windows Xp, P4 3GHz, SATA Drive and 1.5GB Ram:

1. Open an existing image in Xn View
2. Use either the mouse wheel or next button to view the next image.

Result: Xn View performs a task (maybe some kind of caching?) with all images in the folder causing it to freeze with 50% processor usage till this task is complete. Once this task has been performed once you may continue using the program, moving forward / backward through images with no problem.

With a small number of images in the directory this is barely noticable. When dealing with 800 files totaling 120MB however this process can take over one minuite!

Version 1.61 did not have this problem so it may lie with features or changed made since this version.
You have this problem with 1.74?
Pierre.
Somnia Memorias

Post by Somnia Memorias »

Set 'scan headers in folders' option to 'never'.
Thank you for the suggestion, I'd already tried scan headers and it has no effect on the problem.
You have this problem with 1.74?
This is a problem with 1.74, I was using 1.61 before and had no related problems.

Additional Information
The directory listing and thumbnails all work fine, it is just limited to navigating forward and backward through images in the normal full fsize view.
It occurs only when you first change the image (you can load the first file in a directory and wait before changing the image, this has no effect on the duration of the application freezing.
It occurs each time a file is loaded (changing to a second file in the same or another directory with a number of images and then going forward / backward causes a second freeze.)

Supposition
The application freezes while determining the order in which to show the images in a directory.

If you need any further information please let me know.
Thanks,
Somnia Memorias
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

Somnia Memorias wrote:Supposition
The application freezes while determining the order in which to show the images in a directory.
Yes, but very strange. Which sort do you have in the browser? (View/Arrange by)
Pierre.

Post by Guest »

Yes, but very strange. Which sort do you have in the browser? (View/Arrange by)
That solves it, Thankyou!
If i change the order in the browser to "by name" instead of "by type" there is no pause.