Error opening file <path> if path contains Turkish chars

Ask for help and post your question on how to use XnView Classic.

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

kimi

Error opening file <path> if path contains Turkish chars

Post by kimi »

Hi all,
Today i figured out a very strange issue, on my Vista Turkish OS, i installed the latest XnView Multi-Language executable from official site and chose "English" for the interface language (and what i prefer for all my programs), if i associated files with no problem, but if i try to open files containing Turkish (actually non-English) chars such as "ğ", "ş" in their paths, i get "error opening file <path>....". That's too weird coz i don't have such problem on my other Vista English box using older XnView.

What is the cause?

Note: Setting interface language to "English" did not help as expected. And restoring + re-registering images using XnView's Tools->System Integration->Associations DID NOT help. Also following these steps by running XnView as administrator also DID NOT help. It's definetely not an association problem and other viewers open these Turkish_char_having files just fine such as Windows Live Photo Gallery!. I also have the same problem on my Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 box with XnView 1.97.8 (Sep 20, 2010).!

Huh, this is new thing? I certainly DID NOT have such problem in older XnView versions such as 1.97 on various boxes (such as old 1.91version), now why is that? Completely frustrated because my friend's English Vista + XnView 1.97 runs these Turkish-char-having-file paths just fine.

Any ideas? Please help! :(
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: Error opening file <path> if path contains Turkish chars

Post by xnview »

XnView doesn't support unicode, only XnViewMP
Pierre.
kimi

Post by kimi »

xnview wrote:XnView doesn't support unicode, only XnViewMP
So, explain this:

I have XnView 1.97.8 (Sep 2010) on my another Vista PC, it works flawlessly and can open non-english filenames just fine.

And i have 2 other XP boxes which can open non-English filenames just fine. XnViewMP hasn't been on the earth since i've had no issues with XnView with my existing Turkish_char_having_filenames.

C'mon Pierre, there mustn't be such a silly reason to give up using XnView anymore. Because i can read my Turkish filenamed photos just fine, but cannot on my other Vista + 7 system, Why???
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

kimi wrote:C'mon Pierre, there mustn't be such a silly reason to give up using XnView anymore. Because i can read my Turkish filenamed photos just fine, but cannot on my other Vista + 7 system, Why???
Perhaps you have changed default locale for non unicode program in windows settings...
Pierre.
kimi

Post by kimi »

Hi Pierre,
Actually i had found the solution by myself before i saw your post. Yep, i changed the locale setting to Turkish for non-Unicode programs and it worked!

Thanks for your attention, too.
kimi

Post by kimi »

Hi, sorry for bumping very old thread, but I had similar problem on Windows 11 (English) when opening files having Turkish chars. I applied the same setting (changed locale setting to Turkish for non-Unicode programs) that was mentioned in my previous post 12 years ago, I did it through Regional Settings of Windows 11 (English) and it worked, now I can open files with Turkish chars BUT the problem is, now the file names appear to be encoded incorrectly on title bar and tabs of XnView.

I am using XnView Classic (zip), not installed.

Here is the problem with such file names, for example "dış cephe.jpg" is rendered wrong on title bar. I did not have this problem on English Windows 7 with any Turkish files, but only in Windows 11 (maybe on Window 10, too):
kimi

Post by kimi »

Any thoughts about the issue I've mentioned above?

It is present with XnView Classic + Windows 11 environment when displaying non-English filenames within the program. File are opened OK, just displaying (char encoding) is wrong and garbled.
cday
XnThusiast

Post by cday »

The answer is to use XnView MP which has full Unicode support; whether foreign characters display correctly or not in XnView Classic depends on the locale set on the computer used.

Please see this earlier post.
kimi

Post by kimi »

cday wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 12:41 pm The answer is to use XnView MP which has full Unicode support; whether foreign characters display correctly or not in XnView Classic depends on the locale set on the computer used.

Please see this earlier post.
Hi cday,

I already know this setting and have done this setting already. I also had mentioned about it earlier in this thread. This setting lets us to open files with non-Unicode naming, but does not solve the problem of displaying file names incorrectly in XnView GUI itself (badly encoded filenames on opened images tab and on title bar). So the problem still persists even after applying this regional setting. The problem is not present on earlier versions of Windows, like on Windows 7, it is fine. Only present with Windows 11 (haven't tried Windows 10).

It must be a bug with XnView Classic itself on newer versions of Windows like 11.

See my another post about this here also:
viewtopic.php?p=185767#p185767

I'll look into XnView MP though.
cday
XnThusiast

Post by cday »

kimi wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 7:30 pm The problem is not present on earlier versions of Windows, like on Windows 7, it is fine. Only present with Windows 11 (haven't tried Windows 10).

It must be a bug with XnView Classic itself on newer versions of Windows like 11.
An XnView Classic update some time back was intended to increase Unicode support, possibly related to that?
I'll look into XnView MP though.
That is the best solution unless you have a particular reason other than present familiarity to continue with Classic: some additional editing options, an attractive modern interface, 64-bit versions and cross-platform support, now mature but still under active development, particularly the file browser which is now highly regarded by many users... :D