Make a New Folder and Name It

Ideas for improvements and requests for new features in XnView MP

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

bobd441

Make a New Folder and Name It

Post by bobd441 »

Right-clicking an existing folder to make a new folder results in a new folder named 'New Folder 1'.
I then have to right-click that to 'Rename' it to what I want.

Can you make the 'New Folder' allow naming when it is created as it is in the old version of XnView?

Also to be able to highlight it and hit the 'Delete' button if it is created in error.

Thanks. :D
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: Make a New Folder and Name It

Post by xnview »

Sorry but i don't understand. When you create a new folder, you can't change the name?
Pierre.
bobd441

Post by bobd441 »

Yes, I can change the name of the new folder, but it takes more steps to do it than in the old version of XnView for Windows Version 1.98.2 (Jul 19 2011) Libformat Version 5.95.

I will try to explain this again, and I just tried it once again.

In XnView MP-64,I right-click an existing folder in the folder list and choose "New Folder" or hit "F7" to create a new sub-folder.
A new folder named "New Folder 1" is created.
I then have to right-click that new folder and choose "Rename" to give it the name I want.

In XnView for Windows Version 1.98.2 (Jul 19 2011) Libformat Version 5.95 I right-click on a folder in the folder list and choose "New Folder F7" and a new sub-folder titled "New Folder" is created, but it is highlighted (live) so I can simply type the folder name I want to use without having to right-click it and choose "Rename" first.

Also, to delete an unwanted file in XnView MP-64, I have to right-click and choose "Delete" to remove an unwanted folder or file, and in XnView for Windows I simply have to click on a file or folder and hit the 'Delete' button on the keyboard.

Pierre, thank you for your continued interest and attention to this very good program which I use every day!
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

Oh, you means in XnViewMP??
Pierre.
bobd441

Post by bobd441 »

Yes, in XnView-MP.
Did I post my suggestion in the wrong forum?
If so... *sorry*!
budz45
XnThusiast

Post by budz45 »

bobd441 wrote: Also to be able to highlight it and hit the 'Delete' button if it is created in error.
yes the current behaviour in MP is a little funny for me. When I create a new folder in the Browser the flashing renamer is on and even after single clicking on the file to stop the renamer to try and delete the new folder, the renamer keeps getting activated. Best place to click is not on the folder itself but under one of the header's (details view). Also maybe in this case, the 'slow click to rename' feature needs further tweaking perhaps that's what would address this issue.
All My Topics || my 'MP' Topics
My own Bookmarked topics--->for me only
bobd441

Post by bobd441 »

Thank you, Pierre.
XnView is a TERRIFIC program, and I'm sure XnView-MP will get 'squared away' in due time.
Bob
Karl02

Post by Karl02 »

It is still not working as expected: When I create a new folder, it gets the name "New Folder 1" (or a higher number). The rename mode is activated, and the cursor is placed at the end of the name. If I now enter a name, e.g. "test", and press "enter", the folder will be named "New Folder 1test" instead of "test". The default name "New folder 1" should be automatically marked/highlighted, so entering a new name will overwrite the default name, or pressing "enter" will accept it.

Tested with XnViewMP version 0.75 beta2 (2015-06-06) win32 and 0.72 (2014-12-19) win32 on Windows 7 64 bit SP1.
-- Karl
jadO

Post by jadO »

I even suggest to go a step further and incorperate something like this: http://www.howtogeek.com/125360/how-to- ... n-windows/

This little tool lets me select a number of file and move them into subfolders which I can name or which get named automatically based on rules. This makes moving of files very very handy.
Karl02

Post by Karl02 »

^I think that would be a job for the "Move" function in "Browser menu > Edit > Move to..." or "Viewer menu > File > Move to..." or "Alt+M".
-- Karl
Karl02

Post by Karl02 »

-- Karl