MP4 video thumbnails

Ask for help and post your question on how to use XnView Classic.

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

xnview
Author of XnView

MP4 video thumbnails

Post by xnview »

I search someone which has a crash with MP4 video & XnView 1.97?
Please contact me by PM
Pierre.
JohnFredC
XnThusiast

Re: MP4 video thumbnails

Post by JohnFredC »

1.97.4:
  • 1. MP4 thumbs do not show an image and MP4 files do not play.

2. Attempting to open an MP4 on the XnView command line displays an Alert: "Format of file cannot be determined"
PS. MP4 files do not appear when the video filter is selected in the browser.
John
matt1696

Post by matt1696 »

This one's been annoying me for ages too. As far as I can tell, XNView isn't treating the MP4 extension as a video file, possibly because it's also used as an audio extension. Even adding it to a custom group and telling XNv to display thumbs on that group doesn't work, which is another reason I think it may default to a different media type.

The workaround is to remember to rename all MP4 video files as MPG or something else, but it's a pain, especially as MP4 as a container is very common these days for HD files.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

JohnFredC wrote:1.97.4:
In 1.97.4, i've removed mp4 extension due to several crash.
You need 1.97-1.97.3
Pierre.
Nigh

Post by Nigh »

xnview wrote: In 1.97.4, i've removed mp4 extension due to several crash.
You need 1.97-1.97.3
Why on Earth would you do something like that?
I love XnView and I need it to create MP4 thumbnails, because that's what my camera creates.
Please put the MP4 support back on. It's not a good solution to remove it because it sometimes crashes for some users.
Or at least tell me where to get the old version when you suggest to use it.

I think that the best solution would be to let the users choose which extension they want their thumbnails made of instead of just removing them for everyone.
Nigh

Post by Nigh »

xnview, could you please respond?

Thank you.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

MP4 extension is added in 1.97.8
Pierre.
Ian Andrews

Post by Ian Andrews »

i have the latest beta ( XnView v1.98 Beta 3 ) released on the 14rh April 2011 .

Everything is fine especially for a beta version , BUT WITH ONE EXCEPTION.

Yes readers you have guessed it , there is no thumbnail view for any .mp4 file. However let me make it clear when you click the default icon for the .mp4 file, it does open in the XnView Player. This shows me that support for .mp4 does exist but unfortunately thumbnails are not being generated for any .mp4 files.

I humbly ask xnview ( Author of XnView ) is it possible to fix this ........! Thank You

Technical Information

Operating System >>> Windows XP Professional
Installed codecs >>>>> K Lite Codec Pack Full ( Current / Latest ).

Finally In Windows Explorer all "Video/Movie" files have a thumbnail, It seems very strange that the superior software of XnView has not. And just to prove I have been a regular user, about 3 years ago I am sure XnView had the same issues with .flv files, But that particular event seems to have been sorted.

Yours hoping and awaiting a fix ( Today's Date 21st April 2011 )

Ian Andrews
marsh
XnThusiast

Post by marsh »

mp4 miniatures are available with ffmpeg addon.
- FFmpeg & xnview
Ian Andrews

Post by Ian Andrews »

To Marsh

I thank you very much for your efforts to help in this situation.I enthusiastically followed and installed the link, I even rebooted my computer. I opened XnView and navigated to a certain video folder, but no luck. .mp4 & .mov files still have no thumbnail view.

However if I click the default icon, the files will open in the XnView Player ( Very Strange )

I do believe a fix will eventually be solved , but for now .flv, .wmv, .avi, and .mpg........................ will just have to wait for .mp4 & .mov to join them in video thumbnails.

But once again thank you very much for your kind efforts in this situation.
marsh
XnThusiast

Post by marsh »

I'm surprised using addon did not work, Ian. Do you have a mp4 sample which forum can look at as a common reference?
Ian Andrews

Post by Ian Andrews »

Good Evening Marsh

Erm I dont need to upload a sample, it is EVERY .mp4 file on my computer that behaves this way. as well as .mov files. But I only have about 5.mov files and I am not very concerned about them.

All this behavior is still going on despite me going to Tools > Options > Browser, etc.etc. etc. Anyway I put up with this behavior because .flv files used to act this way about 3 years ago.........Then the fix happened.

.mp4 has basically become the internet high quality standard. Which is why I am more concerned, A few years ago I would say .flv files was the standard. And as previously said XnView had trouble generating .flv files thumbnail views back then.

So currently I use windows explorer ( All file types work ). But if I know for certain that I am Researching / Browsing / Experimenting / Or Working With Pictures/Images I just open them in XnView. Which is why I got the Software originally.

Yours Thanks For Your Efforts.

Ian
marsh
XnThusiast

Post by marsh »

Updating the addon's exe with a recent build is the only new tip I can think of.
For example, 'standing cat' (available as flv & mp4).

Code: Select all

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVV_HXtEbLo
hans-jürgen

Post by hans-jürgen »

It's the same for me: no thumbnail preview for MP4 files, but they play in XnView using ffdshow codecs and Haali Media Splitter. Furthermore you cannot extract single frames or create a thumbnail gallery from them either.
ZZee ya, Hans-Jürgen
BLUEZZ BASTARDZZ - "That lil' ol' ZZ Top cover band from Hamburg..."
INDIGO ROCKS - "Down home rockin' blues. Tasty as strudel."