Improvement of 'Create strip of images'

Ideas for improvements and requests for new features in XnView Classic

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

budz45
XnThusiast

Improvement of 'Create strip of images'

Post by budz45 »

Hi again,

I absolutely love the 'Create strip of images' feature and have just recently used it in Xnview 1.97 to join a bunch of photos of my apartment to post an website (home-swap). Fantastic feature in Xnview especially the 'mosaic' setting within it, other softwares don't match it, thank you Pierre.

Ok, here is my feedback of requests;

1) Maybe instead of 'Create strip of images' in English the menu could be better named 'Join images...' or 'Join multiple images...' - I don't know just an opinion especially for when this feature gets reintroduced for MP

2) It would be much nicer if the visible file list pane had drag n drop support; (the file pane in this picture ringed in red)
I know that within the 'Add' dialog, drag n drop is already supported - but I don't really feel I should open another window to do this when a file list pane is already right in front of me. So keep the drag n drop support in 'Add' dialog window but just extend it to the main file list pane too 8)

3) I would love if there was an ability to save profiles of each setting I make. In XnView MP v0.33 I can see that the "Adjust" features can save custom named 'presets' - OK this seems really nice and this should be a part of 'create strip of images' too.

4) It would be nice if a progress bar on the same interface with estimated time was displayed (for larger 'image-joining' operations).

5) Option ability (if possible) to use full transparent background 32bit transparency - especially for when joining transparent images together - this may make the operation of joining images much longer.

6) What about a drop-down menu button on the interface called 'Load last session' in which a list of up to 30 last used file-list sessions can be loaded and re-used again. So the last used file-list that was joined can be recovered. Names could use date naming format in the drop-down menu such as "16-12-2011_001" '002' '_003' etc. If the file/s in the file list are no longer there then on the file list pane, the file/s can be highlighted in red to designate that they no longer exist in that same destination so that when a user clicks 'create' then a small window could display to inform user something like "Some or all files are no longer available to use" - meaning that the file/s would have to be removed from this list.

This 6th request is slightly different from the above 3rd request of 'saving profiles' because saving profiles is for the saving of the configuration settings. This 6th request is for a quick recovery/re-use of the previous file-list when going back into the window again. This is because currently once I press 'create' and create the joined images I may not be happy with the joined result and may want to join them again in a different manner. So rather than going back into the window and manually adding the file-list back again, I could simply click on a drop-down menu button and select and use a 'last used' file-list session.

Excuse me for epic explanation on 6th request, just trying to make it easier to understand.
Last edited by budz45 on Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:44 pm, edited 6 times in total.
All My Topics || my 'MP' Topics
My own Bookmarked topics--->for me only
Irving

Re: Improvement of 'Create strip of images'

Post by Irving »

I agree with the name change to join images.
helmut

Post by helmut »

Good suggestions, budz!
budz45 wrote:1) Maybe instead of 'Create strip of images' in English the menu could be better named 'Join images...' or 'Join multiple images...' - I don't know just an opinion especially for when this feature gets reintroduced for MP
Just wanted to point you to discussion "Attach images..." should be "Create Panorama which shows that naming is not easy.
Irving

Post by Irving »

Do people's posts on this site have a habit of evaporating without reason given?
helmut

Post by helmut »

Irving wrote:Do people's posts on this site have a habit of evaporating without reason given?
Your post didn't evaporate, Irving, it was just moved to the topic mentioned above (here). Naming discussion should continue in that topic, not in this one.
budz45
XnThusiast

Post by budz45 »

Helmut,

The naming suggestion was only ONE of the requests listed for this feature as there were other more important requests listed (see above) e.g. extending the drag n drop support
Irving

Post by Irving »

helmut wrote:
Irving wrote:Do people's posts on this site have a habit of evaporating without reason given?
Your post didn't evaporate, Irving, it was just moved to the topic mentioned above (here). Naming discussion should continue in that topic, not in this one.
Oh, okay. I suggest the moderators at least mention it when topics are joined. I was seriously thinking of giving someone needless hell. :wink:

And the drag and drop sounds okay too.
helmut

Post by helmut »

<offtopic>
Irving wrote:Oh, okay. I suggest the moderators at least mention it when topics are joined. I was seriously thinking of giving someone needless hell. :wink:
Sorry for the confusion, Irving. I thought that you would locate your moved post in the other topic. Normally, moderator do leave notes, but when joining there is no good spot to leave a inconspicuous note.

</offtopic>
budz45
XnThusiast

Post by budz45 »

The name
'Join multiple images...'

I definitely support +1 the most in a future XnView :) I will say no more on that naming issue.
creatyourownstyles

Post by creatyourownstyles »

I also agree with the name change to join images.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

So do you agree with 'Join multiple images...'???
Pierre.
budz45
XnThusiast

Post by budz45 »

xnview wrote:So do you agree with 'Join multiple images...'???
Yes I agree :D

What are your comments on the other requests 2,3,4,5,6?

EDIT:
I will be adding a 6th and final request
budz45
XnThusiast

Post by budz45 »

One last thing,

Perhaps in the window, the naming 'Mosaic' could have a prefix of 'effect', to be called 'Mosaic effect' or 'Mosaic style' because Mosaic's, in a tradional sense, may signify a single same picture that is broken up in to little parts making that picture, like these; (which XnView's 'Create strip of images'does not support)
Image Image

I dunno, I could be wrong, I just wanted to share that.
budz45
XnThusiast

Post by budz45 »

About the naming:

Create Strip of Images = 7 syllables
Join Multiple Images = 7 syllables
Join Images = 4 syllables

The lesser the syllables the simpler it sounds when saying :D ..Just a thought.
budz45
XnThusiast

Post by budz45 »

Xnview MP 0.75 has added "Join images" support accessible from Browser view :)

The "Join images" in XnView MP needs further support for:

= Drag and Drop support on the main Join Images window from both MP browser and system explorer of Windows/Mac/Linux

= Alpha transparency background in the join images (PNG only)

= Progress bar support for when joining larger images that take time

= Saving and Loading of profiles/setting within the Join Images

= Support for Effects such as the scattered Polaroid effect displayed in this previous post here- http://newsgroup.xnview.com/viewtopic.p ... 594#p91023