XnView.db always created, even if thumbs cache db disabled

Ideas for improvements and requests for new features in XnView MP

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

Defenestration

XnView.db always created, even if thumbs cache db disabled

Post by Defenestration »

Why does XnViewMP put the file XnView.db in the folder, C:\Users\<user name>\AppData\Roaming\XnViewMP, even when thumbnail caching is disabled ?

Can this be fixed in a future version, so the file is only created if thumbnail caching is disabled ?
mahikeulbody

Re: XnView.db always created, even if thumbs cache db disabl

Post by mahikeulbody »

I think db is not only to cache thumbnail but also to cache exif and others metadata informations.
As I said in another thread, the use of db is confusing IMHO.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

The database is used for thumbnails cache, but for categories, metadata, ...
Pierre.
Defenestration

Post by Defenestration »

I prefer to use XnView in portable mode (ie. by having xnview.ini) in the program folder. Even with this, XnViewMP 0.35 still puts files in my C:\Users folder.

When using an .ini file, I would prefer it if all files were created in/under the location of the xnview.exe program folder. This would also allow it to be used on USB pen drives, without leaving any traces.

While checking the registry, I also noticed that Xnview creates a couple of entries, and some are also created by Qt.

Can you make it so that when using a .ini config file, XnView won't create any files, folders outside of the program folder, or registry entries (ie. so no traces will be left at all) ?

Also, what options do I need to disable/change to stop XnView creating the XnView.db file ?