Face Recognition

Ideas for improvements and requests for new features in XnView Classic

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

thibaud

Re: Face Recognition

Post by thibaud »

Ty wrote:Revisit the idea in a couple years when better software and tools may be available.
You mean like family genetic scan recognition or something ?
seriously I don't see how the tools could dramatically evolve has to select for you which people you want to tag on your photos.
what Picasa is offering now looks already pretty ahead of it's time if you ask me.
thibaud

Post by thibaud »

JohnFredC wrote: Image
I'm not saying face recognition isn't a cool thing. But there are consequences if one wants to make use of it.
Plus it contributes to obsessive /compulsive behavior! :shock:
wtf is my sister doing in there ? :D
Dreamer
XnThusiast

Post by Dreamer »

JohnFredC wrote:...But if you have thousands of photos...:
Solution? Favourite faces feature? Include/Exclude filter?
Dreamer
Dreamer
XnThusiast

Re: Re:

Post by Dreamer »

xnview wrote:
Dreamer wrote:Pierre, is there a chance to implement this feature? I want to tag my pictures, but I'd wait if you plan to implement such a feature. It would be much more convenient.
I don't think, currently the face recognition SDK that i found are not free...
OK then, what about face detection only, combined with this feature?

People tagging like on facebook

Then easily drag the names from category tree to squares in the photo.
Dreamer
Ty

Post by Ty »

Thibaud, I was wondering about your sister too.
JohnFredC
XnThusiast

Post by JohnFredC »

Ty wrote:Thibaud, I was wondering about your sister too.
LOL!!!! 8)
John
rra

Post by rra »

Yesterday I played a while with Picasa's feature to name-tag faces.
First of all, it recoqnized faces very effeciently, and then manually tagging some known faces
provides info for Picasa to automatically tag all similar faces,
the user can ofcourse accept or reject this suggested tags.

I was stunned how well Picasa did this job, it was slow, but supprisingly accurate, far better then a 70% score !
One big drawback is the fact that Picasa doesn't put the tag into the individual image-files
but uses a separte data-base.
This makes the application only valid within Picasa itself.
Having XnView search for faces and tagging them would be a great feature,
especially when the tags get written in the IPTC data of the image itself.

René
oops66
XnThusiast

Post by oops66 »

rra wrote:...Having XnView search for faces and tagging them would be a great feature,
especially when the tags get written in the IPTC data of the image itself.
René
I agree, but for me this function (Face recognition) is only a pre-processing function and should be implemented (if / in case of ) into XnViewMediaDetector (not directly into XnView) to be able to tag into the IPTC keywords field all recognized persons (it's already the case into XnViewMediaDetector for some other tags: the pre-processing rename file function, pre-processing category belonging, pre-processing Iptc Template belonging... and maybe in the future XnViewMedia&FacesDetector: ...+ pre-processing face recognition to IPTC keywords field ?)
XnViewMP Linux X64 - Debian - X64
Dreamer
XnThusiast

Post by Dreamer »

oops66 wrote:...this function (Face recognition) is only a pre-processing function and should be implemented (if / in case of ) into XnViewMediaDetector (not directly into XnView)
I disagree, perhaps in the full version of XnView (MP?), but it should be definitely in XnView IMO.
Dreamer
Ty

Post by Ty »

I have already commented on this topic, but here's another thought:

In order to keep a software product relevant and moving forward, and to make sure that development energy is spent in the best possible places, it is important to NOT COMPETE with people or companies who have (a) more resources than you, and (b) have already established themselves in a particular market. XnView does many, MANY things that Picasa cannot and will not do, and I expect that I and many others will continue using XnView forever (although that's a long time!) because it offers so many outstanding image manipulation capabilities. But to try to make XnView a competitor of Picasa--which includes trying to duplicate all Picasa features--is, in my opinion, quite silly. XnView is an imaging "power tool" for knowledgeable/expert users, whereas Picasa (and Nikon and Canon and Kodak and many other image management programs) are mass market programs intended for people who don't know anything about images or imaging.

I think it is important that XnView development energy be spent on features and capabilities that increase XnView's value to its existing community of users, rather than trying to make it be all things to all people.

Or perhaps we need buttons in XnView that say "Get your photographs printed here!!" and "Banners, t-shirts and coffee mugs with your picture, $9.99!!"
Jaff

Post by Jaff »

Until any face recognition support, even writing persons names as tags in IPTC/XMP keywords, here's a handy program to do the job: AvPicFaceXmpTagger writes Picasa 3.5 face recognition information as XMP to your images using Microsoft Photo 1.2 Schema (unsuported by XnView when it re-write XMP).

:idea: simple Xnview support: %appdata%\Google\Picasa2\contacts\contacts.xml and .picasa.ini (from pictures folders) can be used to add person(s) names to IPTC/XMP by XnView

___[ contacts.xml ]______________

<contacts>
<contact id="73656d2b68b1859" name="Mihaela" display="Miki" modified_time="2009-11-14T03:50:42+02:00" sync_enabled="1"/>
<contact id="5730bc9b4df4ac31" name="Oprea Nicolae" display="Jaff" modified_time="2009-11-14T04:45:05+02:00" sync_enabled="1"/>
<contact id="dcde1cf86557d20" name="Ana Maria" display="Ana" modified_time="2009-11-14T03:49:18+02:00" sync_enabled="1"/>
</contacts>

___[ .picasa.ini ]______________

[PIC_0014.JPG]
faces=rect64(6dc20fc9947a4da7),dcde1cf86557d20
[PIC_0019.JPG]
faces=rect64(819913bcbecc75dd),73656d2b68b1859
[PIC_0013.JPG]
faces=rect64(6d7010da911e49d0),dcde1cf86557d20
[PIC_0024.JPG]
faces=rect64(93995199c3329e66),dcde1cf86557d20;rect64(1c002d5550cc8199),5730bc9b4df4ac31

name/display name ---> IPTC/XMP
Last edited by Jaff on Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Imi este indiferent ce cred ceilalti despre mine, caci oricum fiecare crede ce-i convine lui si nu ceea ce e real, doar ca mi-ar fi placut sa ma vada asa cum sint de fapt, nu asa cum poate le-ar placea lor sa creada. Ei au ales deja...
Tommy0701

Post by Tommy0701 »

Hy folks,
I see that you are talking about face recognition.
If you are interested about it I can propose you one great free to download book which inspire some future ideas by identifying potential research directions.This book will serve as a handbook for students, researchers and practitioners in the area of automatic (computer) face recognition.
You can find it here: http://www.intechopen.com/books/show/ti ... ecognition
obelisk

face recognition

Post by obelisk »

<Moderator's note: This topic has been merged with the topic Face Recognition.>

Is it possible?
face recognition like some mac has, you show it a few faces and a name, it tags your collection for that person.

maybe relevant links:

http://face.com/
http://www.techsupportalert.com/content ... ection.htm
CoSpi

Post by CoSpi »

on Windows can by used WIC (Windows Imaging Component)
http://blog.thomaslebrun.net/2012/11/wi ... bf9HPlyTvR
Andreas1974

Post by Andreas1974 »

Is there still no support for showing Face tags in the XnView Software?

As I see it: face tag support does not need to deal with actual automatic face recognition, but to make me switch from Windows Photo Gallery there has to be a way to display the face rectangles and names "on top of" the photo. I've been adding face tags for many years, using Photo Gallery in different versions. And there has to be a way to manually select a face (rectangle) and add a name to it, saving it into the XMP data using the current standard.

The face tag data is stored in XMP "rdf:Bag" elements, but there are a few variants of exactly how. I had a look at it a few years ago, and then I found three ways of storing the rectangle and face data inside the Bag.

Sample code:

Code: Select all

// Pick out Windows Live Face Tags (pairs of a rectangle and a name)
			// First try to get a "Description" parent node for the face areas
			XmlNodeList nodes;

XmpStructs.XmpFaceStorageType xmlType = XmpStructs.XmpFaceStorageType.Unknown;
			int nodesTotalCount = 0;

XmlNodeList DescNodes = xmlDoc.SelectNodes("//rdf:Bag/rdf:li[rdf:Description]", nsmgr);
			if (DescNodes.Count > 0)
			{
				// There was a Description element (At least the older version of Photo Gallery Live and Piccasa use the Description element, but in slightly different ways)
				nodes = xmlDoc.SelectNodes("//rdf:Bag/rdf:li[rdf:Description[MPReg:Rectangle and MPReg:PersonDisplayName]]", nsmgr);
				nodesTotalCount = nodes.Count;
				if (nodesTotalCount>0) xmlType = XmpStructs.XmpFaceStorageType.Old;

if (nodesTotalCount == 0)
				{
					nodes = xmlDoc.SelectNodes("//rdf:Bag/rdf:li[rdf:Description[@mwg-rs:Name]/mwg-rs:Area]", nsmgr);
					if (nodesTotalCount > 0) xmlType = XmpStructs.XmpFaceStorageType.Picasa;
				}

} else {

// People tags can be stored in more than one way. ExifTool stores them without the "description" elements
				nodes = xmlDoc.SelectNodes("//rdf:Bag/rdf:li[MPReg:Rectangle and MPReg:PersonDisplayName]", nsmgr);
				if (nodesTotalCount > 0) xmlType = XmpStructs.XmpFaceStorageType.ExifTool;

}
There are also some (similar) differences when it comes to storing the rectangles.

The aforementioned (Nov 16, 2009) AvPicFaceXmpTagger is using ExifTool, which I see is included in XnViewMp (as a tab).

Is displaying and editing the PersonDisplayName and its accompanying rectangle considered for future versions of xnView?