SmartCurve - Curves adjustment Photoshop plugin

All non-XnView related: softwares, formats, imaging, photography...

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

Lesmo16

SmartCurve - Curves adjustment Photoshop plugin

Post by Lesmo16 »

Very handy curves adjustment Photoshop plugin (Freeware).

HP: http://free.pages.at/easyfilter/curves.html

DL: http://free.pages.at/easyfilter/smartcurve.zip
English and German version icluded in ZIP file

Installation in xnView:
Make sure that an image is displayed in XnView.
Then select Filter > Adobe-Photoshop-Plug-Ins > Adobe 8BF filters.
In the appearing dialog press the "Config" and then the "Add" button and choose
the folder where you installed SmartCurve. Press OK. SmartCurve will now appear
in the list on the left. To run SmartCurve double click on the SmartCurve
entry or select it and press the "Start" button.
Last edited by Lesmo16 on Sun Jul 04, 2010 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Everyone who believes in telekinesis, raise my hand!
Paul Verizzo

Re: Smart Curves - Curves adjustment Photoshop plugin

Post by Paul Verizzo »

Hi, first posting here after using XnView for a couple of months and Irfanview for a decade. XnView has bumped Irfanview as my "go to" photo program!

My biggest complaint would be the lack of a built in curves adjustment. I stumbled across Smart Curves, which works nicely, BUT, and it's a big but, is the procedure as outlined above to open Smart Curves. Not doable for more than one picture. And at least for me, the 8bf dialog box will not go away until Smart Curves is closed!

XnView is almost perfect for me. I don't need layers or "painting" functions, but I do need an easy to use curves function. I feel crippled without it.

Related to this is the rather confusing method of installing Photoshop Plug-ins........wait, you don't use the Plug-ins folder? Like every other program?

For what it's worth, the programs that I have checked out and/or use include Irfanview (still easier to use batch processing, too!), Corel Photo-Paint, my Minolta A2 software (great curves function!), the GIMP, and Raw Shooter. No one program does everything well (for instance, The GIMP lacks keyboard shortcuts, for all practical purposes), but XnView comes the closest!

PLEASE????
Troken

Post by Troken »

Paul Verizzo wrote:... but I do need an easy to use curves function. ...
Yes, I've missed curves too, and I rarely use plug-ins because it it to complicated to start a plugin, so I agree on those points. Usually it takes 5 clicks with the mouse to start a plug-in.

Maybe this would be a thread for the XnView general support?
RickS

Post by RickS »

Usually it takes 5 clicks with the mouse to start a plug-in.
It shouldn't. If all you use is Smart Curves then it only takes two clicks, one to open the plugins manager and the second to click "Start", since XnView will always default to the last used plugin. If the last used was not Smart Curves it should only take three clicks. Of course, at about, what, 2/10ths of a second per click, whose counting? :)
Troken

Post by Troken »

Yes, let me re-phrase myself, it takes up to five clicks, from viewing an image, to having the plugin open - but as you say, it shouldn't take more than three or so.

1. Click the menu "filter".
2. Click "Photoshop 8bf-plugins"
3. Click in the tree so reveal the plugin you want to use.
4. Click the actual plugin. (Or double-click, and skip step 5).
5. Click the button "start".

When finished with the plug-in, it actually takes one more click:
6. Click to close the plugin-dialog.
RickS

Post by RickS »

Yes, let me re-phrase myself, it takes up to five clicks, from viewing an image, to having the plugin open - but as you say, it shouldn't take more than three or so.
I made the assumption that you would have an "8bf" icon on your View toolbar, like I have. That eliminates one click. And, I didn't include closing the plugins dialog, but that is another issue since you may want to have it stay open for use of another plugin, therefore avoiding your steps #1 and #2. In PSP X, once you open the "Effects" menu, the menu tree opens with just the movement of your mouse cursor so these "clicks" aren't necessary, but the time spent is no less. You do avoid expending an infinitesimal number of calories, though. :D

Maybe this setup isn't ideal for everyone. It doesn't bother me, but I'm just one user. I'd rather Pierre's time was spent on more pressing issues but I suppose if he can eliminate a click here or there without much effort, then fine by me.
Troken

Post by Troken »

RickS wrote:I made the assumption that you would have an "8bf" icon on your View toolbar, like I have.
Nice idea! Have to use it too.
RickS wrote:You do avoid expending an infinitesimal number of calories, though.
Yes, quite important :)
RickS wrote:I'd rather Pierre's time was spent on more pressing issues ...
I totally agree, this is not a main issue. But the amount of clicks has prevented me from using filters, and instead opening an image editor to preform effects. Maybe not completely rational, but the dialog for 8bf-plugins is not my best friend.
Denyer

Re: SmartCurve - Curves adjustment Photoshop plugin

Post by Denyer »

Is there a way to use Photoshop plugins for batch processing that I'm missing?
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Re: SmartCurve - Curves adjustment Photoshop plugin

Post by XnTriq »