XnView crashes when it uses more than 3GB RAM

Ask for help and post your question on how to use XnView Classic.

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

vommie

XnView crashes when it uses more than 3GB RAM

Post by vommie »

Hi

I have a problem: when XnView opens folders with more than ~10.000 files with thumbails (224x170) the memory gets filled up to 3GB, which takes quite long, and after 3GB XnView freezes. I have 8GB RAM, but I think because of XnView is 32bit it can't use more than 3GB. :bugconfirmed:

Is there any chance XnView gets x64 one day or it changes the memory usages (f.e. if it caches only thumbnails ± 50 pre/post the actual one, instead of the whole folder)?

Before you tell me I have to restructure my folders: I don't feel like sorting files for hours and also don't have the time. So I only want to know if that problem is known and if I can hope for changes in XnView or if there any workarounds without moving files on the drive. :)

I hope for an answer & thanks for the tool no matter what you're plans are!
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: XnView crashes when it uses more than 3GB RAM

Post by xnview »

vommie wrote: Is there any chance XnView gets x64 one day or it changes the memory usages (f.e. if it caches only thumbnails ± 50 pre/post the actual one, instead of the whole folder)?
Yes XnView can't use more than 3GB. And yes i must change that for big folder...
Pierre.
vommie

Post by vommie »

Thanks for the (good) answer.
So I'll watch the changelogs in future :)
Aokromes

Post by Aokromes »

vommie wrote:Hi

I have a problem: when XnView opens folders with more than ~10.000 files with thumbails (224x170) the memory gets filled up to 3GB, which takes quite long, and after 3GB XnView freezes. I have 8GB RAM, but I think because of XnView is 32bit it can't use more than 3GB. :bugconfirmed:

Is there any chance XnView gets x64 one day or it changes the memory usages (f.e. if it caches only thumbnails ± 50 pre/post the actual one, instead of the whole folder)?

Before you tell me I have to restructure my folders: I don't feel like sorting files for hours and also don't have the time. So I only want to know if that problem is known and if I can hope for changes in XnView or if there any workarounds without moving files on the drive. :)

I hope for an answer & thanks for the tool no matter what you're plans are!
Even i have 12 GB of ram i see having 1000s of files on a single folder extremely bad way to store things.
vommie

Post by vommie »

It depends on the tools you use and on the files you store.
For me it's the best way. I use subfolders, but it wouldn't make sense for me too make hundrets of subfolders in my "wood-textures"-folder. Catalogue-software should handle this.
marsh
XnThusiast

Post by marsh »

xnview wrote:
vommie wrote: Is there any chance XnView gets x64 one day or it changes the memory usages (f.e. if it caches only thumbnails ± 50 pre/post the actual one, instead of the whole folder)?
Yes XnView can't use more than 3GB. And yes i must change that for big folder...
Is there a similar limit for XnViewMP (under linux)?
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

marsh wrote: Yes XnView can't use more than 3GB. And yes i must change that for big folder...
Is there a similar limit for XnViewMP (under linux)?[/quote]
Yes, with current version. Next version will not load all thumbnails!
Pierre.
vommie

Post by vommie »

What do you mena with next version?
0.27 for XnViewMP?
2.0 for XnView?

I don't want to stress (i hope and wait for months, reading every changelog in the hope there's a change ^^), but i really would like to use XnView(MP), this ram overflow problem is the only thing keeping me from using your great tool :(

Hope this will really get some priority :]
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

vommie wrote:What do you mena with next version?
0.27 for XnViewMP?
2.0 for XnView?
I means with XnViewMP....
Pierre.