Use ICC profile - Add "use monitor profile" option

Ideas for improvements and requests for new features in XnView MP

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

Blackx

Use ICC profile - Add "use monitor profile" option

Post by Blackx »

I am impressed by the new color management capabilities in 0.21. Even thumbnails are rendered perfectly :)
Only one thing could be improved (aside from the slowdown ;) ) ... it would be great to have the profile automatically retrieved from the monitor. This is for us, who profile the monitor regularly, so the new monitor profile doesn't always need to be manually changed in XnViewMP. This would be less error-prone.

BTW the ICC settings could be a bit clarified. I've spent some time figuring it out until I found that the first profile is for monitor and the second is for images which doesn't have a profile embedded (and the latter setting should probably be "sRGB" by default).
Danny

Re: Use ICC profile - Add "use monitor profile" option

Post by Danny »

It's a good idea in itself, but finding out the monitor profile is difficult across different OS. In Linux there isn't a standard way of defining a global monitor profile. It works more on a per program level.
Get the bugs fixed, THEN start adding features. It sucks, but someone has to do it.
Blackx

Post by Blackx »

Thank you for your answer. What a pity :(
However, for other OSes it might be a welcome addition (I'm personally interested in Windows version). Also, I noticed that option for using the monitor profile is present in Windows version of GIMP. Maybe there is similar code for Linux too, even though it won't be completely standardized way.

BTW Your answer was helpful for me also in another way - to remind me that I need to switch the profiles in XnView MP. Of course I had forgotten to update them last time :)
Danny

Post by Danny »

Blackx wrote:Thank you for your answer. What a pity :(
However, for other OSes it might be a welcome addition (I'm personally interested in Windows version). Also, I noticed that option for using the monitor profile is present in Windows version of GIMP. Maybe there is similar code for Linux too, even though it won't be completely standardized way.
Well, i don't know enough to completely rule this out, just don't get your hopes too high. You'd have to write extra code for each OS i suppose. Since Windows and MacOS have a standard interface for color profiles, those surely could be covered. But in Linux it depends on which color management system you've installed. That makes it a moving, difficult target.

I think that option is there in the Linux version of Gimp, too. But i think it relies on having a certain color management system installed as well. If you have a different one - you're outta luck.
Get the bugs fixed, THEN start adding features. It sucks, but someone has to do it.
Blackx

Post by Blackx »

Ok. Anyway, thank you for your comments and useful information!
gaaned92

Post by gaaned92 »

I agree with Blackx that the ICC pane should be clarified :

1-there should be an indication that the first field refers to the monitor profile. A display ICC profile is to be provided in order to get correct colors on monitors. Generic monitor profiles are available at DPreview in case of unavailability of a calibration system.
2- Regarding the photo color profile, I follow Blackx thinking that it concerns photos without embedded profile (e.g. sRGB, AdobeRGB...). In this case a profile has to be provided and in general it is sRGB. ThusI don't understand the meaning of the "none" choice button.
sRGB being the default profile for photo, non color managed applications ( as Picasa) display correctly photos with such a profile. In this case, no profile transformation is performed and I dont understand why there is an overhead in Xnview.

MP displays correctly photos with embedded profiles if you check "use ICC profile (slower)" , "sRGB" and provide a monitor profile.

André
circle.hk

Post by circle.hk »

Hi Danny,

Will this feature be included in Windows / MacOS version of XnView first?
It is really useful for user like us using multiple monitors..
Micha

Post by Micha »

Hi Danny,

a general question for this topic - if I calibrated my monitor and the profil is set for Windows, than this profile is automatic used for viewing images per XnView?

I ask this, because I have the problem that Photoshop shows a light other looking images as XnView, Opera, Internetexplorer ... . So I try to find where the reason is. Is XnView, Opera, Internetexplorer ignoring the profile or PS?
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

Micha wrote:a general question for this topic - if I calibrated my monitor and the profil is set for Windows, than this profile is automatic used for viewing images per XnView?
No currently you must set it in option of XnView
Pierre.
Micha

Post by Micha »

Hi Pierre,

where can I set the monitor profile, but so that the profile of the images is keeped?
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

Option>General>ICC
Pierre.
Micha

Post by Micha »

Also if I select the monitor profile than an image at XnView looks not like at Photoshop. So I think, XnView isn't the problem. If I render an image per Vray, than the frame buffer show me the same image like XnView. Doe's somebody know, why PS doesn't show the same like at XnView (also if I set the monitor profile)? Only if I enable a monitor softproof, than PS show me the same image like XnView. But I don't like to enable the softproof at every PS startup. Sorry for the OT.

Micha