Improvements to Export (and other) dialogs

Ideas for improvements and requests for new features in XnView MP

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

JohnFredC
XnThusiast

Improvements to Export (and other) dialogs

Post by JohnFredC »

The new MP Export dialog is a great improvement over the one in XnView 1.9x. I particularly like how it remembers its size & position and how the controls are rationally anchored (i.e., do NOT change size, only position when the user resizes the dialog).

However, refinements to the Export dialog (and all other dialogs) will make MP even better.

The only reason to resize the Export dialog is to change the size (usually, enlarge) the size of the preview images. The options and controls themselves do not need to resize.

In the current version, resizing the dialog causes the controls to migrate to rational positions in the dialog. This is excellent, but regardless of the logicality of the repositioning of the controls, enlarging the Export dialog wastes a large amount of screen real estate because of the blank areas in the dialog that also grow when the dialog resizes (see areas marked in red, below):

IMO, resizing the dialog should resize the previews only. No other region of the dialog should change. Unfortunately the current layout of the dialog prevents this.

I propose a reorganization of the Export dialog (and the other preview dialogs to come) into 4 horizontal regions or frames (marked A, B, C, and D in the image above).

Region A: Dialog Behaviors: height does not resize when dialog resizes
Region B: Previews: height and width resize when dialog resizes
Region C: Dialog Options: height does not resize when dialog resizes
Region D: Dialog Execution: height does not resize when dialog resizes

Organizing the dialog into individual horizontal regions in this way (plus setting the appropriate control anchors) will allow the dialog to resize with a minimum of wasted space and improved utility as shown on the example above.
John
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Re: Improvements to Export (and other) dialogs

Post by XnTriq »

I still like Olivier's 3yo suggestion to integrate a navigation/zoom proxy into the dialog:
Olivier_G ([url=http://newsgroup.xnview.com/viewtopic.php?p=41374#p41374]Export - save zoom value[/url]) wrote:What about a small overview to drag/modify the zoomed area (zoom % remembered, as suggested):
It's a draft: I'll increase window size slightly to give more room to everything -> but what do you think about this idea?
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

Right, it's a bug in the layout
Pierre.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

Please, could you test XnViewMP 0.25
Pierre.
JohnFredC
XnThusiast

Post by JohnFredC »

Much, much better!!!
John
vedavrata

Export from "File mode" ?

Post by vedavrata »

I installed the multi-platform edition of XnView (XnViewMP), and it seems to be great! :)

But this Tools » Export is available only from "Browser mode", but i can not forced it to work from "File mode", neither by the Toolbar, nor by Shortcut keys (Ctrl-Alt-S)... :?:

Thank you very much!
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: Export from "File mode" ?

Post by xnview »

vedavrata wrote:I installed the multi-platform edition of XnView (XnViewMP), and it seems to be great! :)

But this Tools » Export is available only from "Browser mode", but i can not forced it to work from "File mode", neither by the Toolbar, nor by Shortcut keys (Ctrl-Alt-S)... :?:

Thank you very much!
I'll add it in view mode...
Pierre.
vedavrata

Re: Export from "File mode" ?

Post by vedavrata »

xnview wrote:
vedavrata wrote:I installed the multi-platform edition of XnView (XnViewMP), and it seems to be great! :)

Thank you very much!
I'll add it in view mode...
Thank you, brother!

P.S. It seems for XnViewMP is the best photo editor under Ubuntu (Linux) i ever tried... :-) I used GIMP, picasa, xnview, darktable, f-spot and other... But XnViewMP is most usable, comfortable and functional.
[Under Windows i used FastStone image... BTW you can try FastStone to see its useful features and implement them to XnViewMP... Thank you.]