[FIXED] RC1: Does not run on Windows 98

Bugs and Issues in 1.82 Test versions which have been fixed and verified as resolved.

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

[FIXED] RC1: Does not run on Windows 98

Post by Guest »

I need some advice on how to install this. What I tried generated two error messages on starting xnview:

(1)Error Starting Program
The XNVIEW.EXE file is
linked to missing export SHELL32.DLL:SHBindToParent.

(2)C:\Program Files\XnView\xnview.exe
A device attached to the system is not functioning.

I tried to install by renaming the xnview.exe file and the two dll files. I then moved the new fiiles into the correct directories. I also moved in the slide.exe plugin and then the WebTemplate folder. I didn't bother with moving in the skins directory.

I would very much like to try this version. What am I doing wrong? This is on a windows 98 machine if it matters and my installed version of xnview is 1.74.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

Anonymous wrote:I need some advice on how to unstall this. What I tried generated two error messages on starting xnview:

(1)Error Starting Program
The XNVIEW.EXE file is
linked to missing export SHELL32.DLL:SHBindToParent.

(2)C:\Program Files\XnView\xnview.exe
A device attached to the system is not functioning.

I tried to install by renaming the xnview.exe file and the two dll files. I then moved the new fiiles into the correct directories. I also moved in the slide.exe plugin and then the WebTemplate folder. I didn't bother with moving in the skins directory.

I would very much like to try this version. What am I doing wrong? This is on a windows 98 machine if it matters and my installed version of xnview is 1.74.
I'll fix soon the problem with 98
Pierre.

Post by Guest »

xnview wrote: I'll fix soon the problem with 98
I guess this means I did it right and there's mothing I can do to install it now. Wondering because what I did made sense to me but I have actually never done this with a program that has a full install routine.

Would this beta work on a Windows Millenium machine? That's my other machine.

And it goes without saying but I'll say it anyways. Thanks for the great program.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

Anonymous wrote:Would this beta work on a Windows Millenium machine? That's my other machine.
I think
Pierre.

Post by Guest »

xnview wrote:
Anonymous wrote:Would this beta work on a Windows Millenium machine? That's my other machine.
I think
How woud I go about installing the beta on my other machine? I need some step by step directions. Thanks.

Re: RC1: Uninstall on Windows 98

Post by Guest »

Anonymous wrote:I need some advice on how to unstall this.
This topic seems like it's in outer space. Perhaps it's because of my spelling error. I want to install the beta. I do not want to unstall or uninstall it or anything else. Does that help? Has anyone else tried to iinstall this beta on a 98 or Me machine? Success? Failure? Amd in particular, what method did you use to install.
helmut

Re: RC1: Uninstall on Windows 98

Post by helmut »

Anonymous wrote:
Anonymous wrote:I need some advice on how to unstall this.
This topic seems like it's in outer space. Perhaps it's because of my spelling error.
Your typo "unstall" was really misleading. But the answers would not have been different: Currently, there is a bug in XnView 1.80 RC1. For this reason, it will not run on Windows 98. And there is no way or trick to make it run. You have to wait for the RC2, which should be available in some few days.
I want to install the beta. I do not want to unstall or uninstall it or anything else. Does that help? Has anyone else tried to iinstall this beta on a 98 or Me machine? Success? Failure? Amd in particular, what method did you use to install.
Windows ME is not spread a lot. For "Installing" the release candidateds of XnView you simply unpack the ZIP archive to any directory on your hard disk and then start it. At the moment even Pierre doesn't know exactly what the problem is. Simply try it out and you'll see whether it works on Windows ME. If not, you can report it here and remove the whole directory, again.

Post by Guest »

Works fine on WinME. The tabbed interface is the first thing I noticed. I like that.

Post by Guest »

Seeing as how this is considered an important issue I should mention that this is Windows 98 Second Edition.

Post by Guest »

This applies for Windows NT 4 SP 6 also...
Dreamer
XnThusiast

Post by Dreamer »

XnView 1.80 RC1 will not run on Windows 98.
All the issues above have been resolved in RC2.
Therefore moved to "Solved Bugs, Requests, and Suggestions"