Face Recognition

Ideas for improvements and requests for new features in XnView Classic

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

Dreamer
XnThusiast

Face Recognition

Post by Dreamer »

The software with this feature is / will be provided with the new Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ7.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ7 software
The portrait images taken with the camera’s Face Recognition function are organized neatly in the folder of the name registered with the camera. Not only that, the software also features an independent Face Recognition function that recognizes the faces in the picture stored in your PC to sort the photos by the face. You do not have to pick out each photo one by one out of thousand of photos when you only want pictures of a specific person. With PHOTOfunSTUDIO 3.0 HD Edition, the software automatically sorts your images into virtual folders based on the faces you registered. You can also enjoy slideshows with a variety of effects and use your iTunes music library as background music. Motion pictures can be uploaded directly to YouTube using the built-in YouTube uploader.

I don't know if it's so good, of course it can't be perfect, but it would be really useful to have such a feature also in XnView. :)

I'm not sure where the info about the face (name / age) will be saved in that software, but if this feature would be ever implemented in the XnView, it should be saved in IPTC IMO.
Dreamer
ckit
XnThusiast

Post by ckit »

I think Picasa 3 has this feature too.
AMD Ryzen 3 3300X 3.8Ghz, 16Gb DDR4, RX6600XT with Dell U2520D at 2560x1440@60Hz
Windows 11 Pro x64 23H2, PowerToys and Wintoys
jaqian

Post by jaqian »

It would be a really handy feature to have if it could be implemented. I agree that if possible the information should be written to IPTC.

Just wondering, with everything that is written to IPTC these days will we ever run out of run to add info? Think keywords, geotagging etc.

Does Pierre do all the work himself or does he have help?
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Post by XnTriq »

jaqian wrote:Does Pierre do all the work himself or does he have help?
Welcome, jaqian :-)
Dreamer ([url=http://newsgroup.xnview.com/viewtopic.php?p=21185#21185]Hotkeys / Shortcuts Requests[/url]) wrote:
i think the programming team could do it very easily
There is no "programming team", there is just single author - Pierre!
xnview ([url=http://newsgroup.xnview.com/viewtopic.php?p=69425#69425]xnview sur Clubic[/url]) wrote:Oui article pas mal, il commence mal, mais fini très bien.
Mais je trouve que comparer XnView ou Fastone à ACDsee, Picasa et Microsoft Photo n'est pas terrible, les 3 derniers ayant des moyens importants (acdsee a au moins 15 développeurs dessus)...
most

SDK

Post by most »

There are some face recognition SDK out there, Pierre might be able to use of them!?

TZ-7 is on my purchase list, so I will update you guys how the information is stored when I got the camera.

/M
jaqian

Post by jaqian »

XnTriq wrote: Welcome, jaqian :-)
Thanks XnTriq only coped your message now :)
Sony Alpha α100 (Silver)
Linux Mint 7
Dreamer
XnThusiast

Re:

Post by Dreamer »

ckit wrote:I think Picasa 3 has this feature too.
Hmm.. Is XnView worse than Picasa? :P

Pierre, is there a chance to implement this feature? I want to tag my pictures, but I'd wait if you plan to implement such a feature. It would be much more convenient.
Dreamer
JohnFredC
XnThusiast

Re: Face Recognition

Post by JohnFredC »

Picasa is so aggressive in identifying faces it pulls faces from crowds at football games and train stations, shadowy reflections in street windows, statues, magazine covers (on newsstands)...

...too much of a "good" thing, frequently.

We were at the Spanish Steps in Rome a few years ago where I photographed my wife sitting in the middle. Picasa captured over an hundred faces out of the crowd in that photo, automatically.

Managing (er, uh, "un-identifying") all those faces is a burden.
John
oops66
XnThusiast

Post by oops66 »

+1, I think it's too complicated for the moment to have this function working correctly (& not only for XnView).
XnViewMP Linux X64 - Debian - X64
Dreamer
XnThusiast

Post by Dreamer »

Perhaps a simple option would solve this problem - "Exclude unknown faces"?
Dreamer
JohnFredC
XnThusiast

Post by JohnFredC »

That would help a little, but Picasa's recognition of previously identified individuals isn't perfect either... I'd estimate only about 70% accurate (meaning ~30% of the photos of previously identified individuals may appear in the "who is this?" group, depending on angle of the face, hair style, sunglasses, etc).

Sounds silly to complain about it: face recognition via software is an incredible thing.

But...
John
Ty

Post by Ty »

I agree entirely, John. Picasa's face recognition is (a) wonderful, and (b) kind of pain in the butt. I've used it extensively, and it is great when one is working on family albums and classmate pictures. But its recognition of reflections, incidental/background faces, and various other categories of miscellaneous is problematic, and calls into question the overall benefit of the recognition software. My vote is to not complicate XnView with this feature, at least for now. Revisit the idea in a couple years when better software and tools may be available.
Dreamer
XnThusiast

Post by Dreamer »

JohnFredC wrote:I'd estimate only about 70% accurate (meaning ~30% of the photos of previously identified individuals may appear in the "who is this?" group, depending on angle of the face, hair style, sunglasses, etc).
Hmm.. but isn't 70% better than 0%? It never will be 100%, because of reasons above, but just click, or select person from the list is much easier than manually select and tag the face. Moreover, it might be improved, so it could be 80, or 90% in XnView, maybe. If you have 1000 photos, you have to tag one person 1000 times and you'd have to manually select the face, if it would be just 70%, you'd have to tag one person just 300 times and it would be automatic, no need to select the face manually every time!
Dreamer
JohnFredC
XnThusiast

Post by JohnFredC »

Dreamer wrote:but isn't 70% better than 0%?
Well yes.

But if you have thousands of photos...:

Plus it contributes to obsessive /compulsive behavior! :shock:
Last edited by JohnFredC on Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: Re:

Post by xnview »

Dreamer wrote:Pierre, is there a chance to implement this feature? I want to tag my pictures, but I'd wait if you plan to implement such a feature. It would be much more convenient.
I don't think, currently the face recognition SDK that i found are not free...
Pierre.