New icons

Ideas for improvements and requests for new features in XnView MP

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

Troken

Post by Troken »

mezich wrote:to: helmut
folder with ... is nice idea. I will make it.

to: Troken
will add export icon.
Hooray!
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Post by XnTriq »

As an avid XnView user I feel very fortunate that Yuri provided us with his awesome set of toolbar icons and continues to add new ones.
The skin has earned him quite a few grateful admirers (including myself) of his work.
Fellow board member pdavit said it best:
pdavit ([url=http://newsgroup.xnview.com/viewtopic.php?p=38386#38386]Default skin...[/url]) wrote:By far Mezich's skins is the best. Not only comparing to other sets in offer but also as a stand alone one. It is artistically appealing with a modern/vivid look that can never be criticized as extreme. Color selections are perfect being neither dull nor tiresome. Themewise it follows the perfect ratio between simplicity and completeness so every icon is easily self explained on what it represents and the action it encapsulates.
Thanks a lot, Yuri Mezentsev!
xnview wrote:Do you have an idea of metaphor for 'open with'?
For my own little monochrome skin I used a generic application icon, combined with a pencil to represent the “Associated Editor” and a link symbol for the “Associated Program” button:
I also thought about throwing in a basic file icon, but with an overall size of 16² pixels that would've become too crowded:
Ulead took a clever approach with the toolbar of their GIF Animator:
I'd like to propose a similar solution for XnView MP/QT and XnView Win32 (rocket ≈ launch program):
Troken

Post by Troken »

XnTriq wrote:Ulead took a clever approach with the toolbar of their GIF Animator:
Very clever indeed – but one question: can there be copyright trouble using other software icons?
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Post by XnTriq »

Troken wrote:Very clever indeed – but one question: can there be copyright trouble using other software icons?
Hi Troken =)

The icons of all those applications are actually not “embedded” inside Ulead GIF Animator's program files. UGA reads them from the executables of the editors. It's basically the same concept as with the launchbar of many file managers.
helmut

Post by helmut »

XnTriq wrote:Very clever indeed – but one question: can there be copyright trouble using other software icons?
Ah, now I understand: XnView would dynamically read the other application's icon and display the the icon of the last recently used application in the toolbar. Sounds interesting, but you will need an initial icon that is active as long as there is no "last recently used application". So the search for an icon continues... ;-)

The rocket metaphor for launching could be used, but doesn't 100% fit because the main thing are the astronauts (=images) which fly with the rocket (=application).
mezich

Post by mezich »

two versions "Open with" and "Export"
http://www.mezich.ru/xnview/openw&export.png
helmut

Post by helmut »

mezich wrote:two versions "Open with" and "Export"
Thank you, Yuri, for your drafts. I like the "Export" icon, but I don't like the "Open with". What does the normal "Open" look like? Perhaps "Open With" could be just a variation of "Open"?
mezich

Post by mezich »

helmut wrote:
mezich wrote:two versions "Open with" and "Export"
Thank you, Yuri, for your drafts. I like the "Export" icon, but I don't like the "Open with". What does the normal "Open" look like? Perhaps "Open With" could be just a variation of "Open"?
Open looks like folder with small green arrow.
Folder and rocket too abstract for "Open with..."
As I think, it should be icon with list of applications.
Jarda

Mezich rulez! :)

Post by Jarda »

I completely agree with thibaud ideas.

Idea for Open file icon:
Can be convenient folder with arrow, e.g. as the second icon on this screen?
http://www.klatovsko.cz/www/j353840/ope ... ig/pb1.jpg

Idea for the diff between Copy to... and Move to... icons:
Can You make the paper for Move to... icon less clean (greyed or something like shadow conture to show to the user the image disappears from the original location when moved) in contrast to Copy to... icon?

BTW: I am happy XnView MP will use the icons from Mezich, I like the Mezich skin in the current regular Windows version. Great job, Mezich, spasiba! :)

[/url]
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Post by XnTriq »

helmut wrote:I like the "Export" icon, but I don't like the "Open with". What does the normal "Open" look like? Perhaps "Open With" could be just a variation of "Open"?
I absolutely agree that – in accordance with the rules of good iconography – buttons for related commands should have a common theme wherever possible.

In XnView's case this would include:
  • Paste / Import clipboard
  • Save / Save as / Export
  • File operations (Copy to / Move to)
  • Open with (Associated program / Associated editor)
Now, one could argue that Open with is not as closely related to Open as it might appear at first glance, and that cmd_ShellOpen & cmd_ShellEdit have more to do with shell:SendTo.
Therefor the “programs” analogy Yuri has chosen seems perfectly appropriate to me, especially since his draft leaves little room for misinterpretations.
The icons in the left column are taken from the current Mezich skin.
The right column shows Yuri's first draft for Open with and Export. “Export #2” is my alternative proposal.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

Yuri, is it possible to make new icons for layout too? (16x16)
Pierre.
Clo
XnThusiast

Et une loupe !

Post by Clo »

:arrow: Pierre

:) Hello !

• And you provide a magnifying glass ? :P

I proposed ANOTHER SOLUTION you didn't answer to (I spent “only” five hours to draw the mock-up)… :|

:mrgreen: KR
Claude
Clo
Old user ON SELECTIVE STRIKE till further notice
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: Et une loupe !

Post by xnview »

Clo wrote: I proposed ANOTHER SOLUTION you didn't answer to (I spent “only” five hours to draw the mock-up)… :|
Yes, sorry, i can't reply to all posts. And this is almost the solution used in the first alpha, but i don't like it
Pierre.
thibaud

Post by thibaud »

ok here are the 16x16 layouts icons:

yuri's style (hope it's alright with you yuri). well that's 8 more you won't have to worry about :)

> pierre, I'll send the individual 24bit .png
thibaud

Post by thibaud »

somehow missed the 2 filmstrip ones,
here they are: