Don't show hidden system files/folders in browser

Ideas for improvements and requests for new features in XnView Classic

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

ckv

Don't show hidden system files/folders in browser

Post by ckv »

XnView has an option to show hidden files and folder in the browser, which I really appreciate.

But while hidden files/folders are shown, I still don't like to see the hidden system files/folders (files/folders with hidden and system file attribute) in the XnView browser. Windows explorer does just that [img] (A little misleading label, but that option is just to show the hidden system files/folders in explorer.)

Hidden system files like desktop.ini, thumbs.db, folder.htt... or System Volume Information folder are not very usefull while browsing with XnView.

So I suggest that XnView hides the hidden system files/folders even when "Show hidden files and folders" option is on. Also a new option could be added to show the hidden system files/folders.
XnView Tweak UI - Tool to customize your XnView beyond the regular XnView options.
UI-less Settings - Documentation of all the hidden settings in XnView.
XFAM - Tool to create and customize XnView file associations.
ckit
XnThusiast

Post by ckit »

You can disable these files using the "Custom files" feature in Browser\File List options.
AMD Ryzen 3 3300X 3.8Ghz, 16Gb DDR4, RX6600XT with Dell U2520D at 2560x1440@60Hz
Windows 11 Pro x64 23H2, PowerToys and Wintoys
ckv

Post by ckv »

ckit wrote:You can disable these files using the "Custom files" feature in Browser\File List options.
Sorry, but that's not even nearly the same.
XnView Tweak UI - Tool to customize your XnView beyond the regular XnView options.
loth

REQ: Don't show hidden system files/folders in browser

Post by loth »

ckv wrote:XnView has an option to show hidden files and folder in the browser, which I really appreciate.

But while hidden files/folders are shown, I still don't like to see the hidden system files/folders (files/folders with hidden and system file attribute) in the XnView browser. Windows explorer does just that [img] (A little misleading label, but that option is just to show the hidden system files/folders in explorer.)

Hidden system files like desktop.ini, thumbs.db, folder.htt... or System Volume Information folder are not very usefull while browsing with XnView.

So I suggest that XnView hides the hidden system files/folders even when "Show hidden files and folders" option is on. Also a new option could be added to show the hidden system files/folders.
i need this feature too, and really like to have such options.
as i don't need to see the "RECYCLER" folder, nor the "System Volume Information"

for the sake of completeness i tried ckit's idea, but that helped in no way, like ckv said.

so is there a chance to implement such an "ignorelist" ?
ckv

Post by ckv »

Humpty pumpty.

Is loth and me the only ones who doesn't like to see hidden/system files and folders in browser?

If it's still unclear what suggesting... As for reference, the always popular Total Commander has this feature. In Total Commander it's the "Show hidden/system files (for experts only)" option.
Clo
XnThusiast

And more !

Post by Clo »

:arrow: ckv

:) Hello !
…In Total Commander it's the "Show hidden/system files (for experts only)" option.
• And more, since when that option is on, you can hide only some items (folders and¦or files) using the Ignore List feature…
- That allows to see hidden files (i.e. I need to see the descript.ion files) and to hide the items that loth points out…
It can be even switched ON¦OFF via a button in the tool-bar (to hide your erotic pics for your little sister, for example !)
- Anyway, even if I don't hide the other items, I think that the option is needed and I support your suggestion.

:mrgreen: KR
Claude
Clo
Last edited by Clo on Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Old user ON SELECTIVE STRIKE till further notice
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

You can disabled option/FileList/Misc/Show hidden files or folders
Pierre.
Clo
XnThusiast

Not selective

Post by Clo »

:arrow: Pierre

• Indeed, but it isn't selective, you show or hide all such items…
- Please, read about the TC “Ignore List” above, it isn't very complicated to implement, I assume…
- The list is a simple plain TXT file made¦updated from an Option page.

Claude
Clo
Danny

Post by Danny »

This doesn't make sense to me. You either show them or you don't, and there's already an option that let's you choose.
Get the bugs fixed, THEN start adding features. It sucks, but someone has to do it.
Clo
XnThusiast

That I don't want

Post by Clo »

:arrow: Danny

:) Hi !
…You either show them or you don't, …
• It's just that I do not wish ! Please, re¦read my articles above…

- I guess you aren't a TC user, or else you'ld have got the advantages of the “Ignore List”…
- Do you think that the Author of TC has added it only for the look ? :P

:mrgreen: VG
Claude
Clo
Last edited by Clo on Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ouistiti

Post by ouistiti »

:arrow: Clo

Indeed, the TC "Ignore List" is much better than a Show / Hide all only !

Friendly

Paul
L'important n'est pas de convaincre, mais de donner à réfléchir.
The important thing is not to convince, but to incite to think.

Dreamer
XnThusiast

Post by Dreamer »

What about a compromise? Keyboard shortcut to toggle between show/hide the hidden files? Requested years ago.
Dreamer
Clo
XnThusiast

We need commands !

Post by Clo »

:arrow: Dreamer

• Nothing against, but :
1. Actually, we need this command (and a mountain of others) available for any use, let's say a short cut
(must be hard-coded), a button (the user can add it already), a menu item (currently, hard coded too).
2. That shouln't solve the issue : Hide that we need only, it's still ALL or NOTHING. :|

Claude
Clo

{OT} Ah ah ! We reach the same messages count… :P {/OT}
loth

Post by loth »

Dreamer wrote:What about a compromise? Keyboard shortcut to toggle between show/hide the hidden files? Requested years ago.
thats not a compromise :-)
thats a total other feature (which implementation i ++support)

ignoring user-chosen files/folders is not the same like hide system-files/-folders. but we all know that.

in many projects, i only want to see some files/folders out of a big bunch which are burned on a cd, or stored anywhere else in a big collection of folders and files.
limiting the view to only the folders that i want to see (with ignoring mostly what i don't want to see) will be a great ease.

it could be that simple:
ignore list:

Code: Select all

thumbs.db
\System Volume Information\
\RECYCLER\
\project\old\*
\project\older\*.psd
will:
ignore all the thumbs.db files,
all \System Volume Information\ folders
all \RECYCLER\ folders
everything, which will be under the directory \project\old\
all *.psd files under the directory \project\older\

this ignorelist, should be, as you mentioned in you "compromise" combined with a keyboard-shortcut. to switch the function on/off on demand and very fast.

Last bumped by ckv on Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:47 pm.