Annoying copy-paste behaviour

Bugs and Suggestions in XnView Classic which have been resolved

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

helmut

Post by helmut »

xnview wrote:So perhaps an option like "Select previous folder in thumbnail view" will be the solution
The option label is pretty long, which is often an indicator that an option is too complicated and should be rethought.

I didn't follow all the discussion and my statement might not fit in: ".." stands for the parent folder and selecting automatically and pasting should paste to the parent folder (and not the current folder).
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

helmut wrote: I didn't follow all the discussion and my statement might not fit in: ".." stands for the parent folder and selecting automatically and pasting should paste to the parent folder (and not the current folder).
It's not the problem :-)
Go to a folder with subfolder, enter in a subfolder (thumb view) with double click or enter, click on '..' or up, and the previous subfolder is now selected.
It's a very old behavior needed by all old users of ACDsee.
So the problem is if now you want to paste in this folder and not subfolder, you need to deselect it.
Pierre.
Dreamer
XnThusiast

Post by Dreamer »

xnview wrote:So the problem is if now you want to paste in this folder and not subfolder, you need to deselect it.
Yes, but why the file should be pasted to the subfolder? It's a new option? It's not a standard behavior and it's even danger feature IMHO. Is it possible to disable this feature?? Again - I think it should be disabled by default, or removed completely.

If anyone wants such a feature, perhaps another menu items/shortcut should be added, e.g.:

- context menu and menu item "Paste to selected subfolder"
- and keyboard shortcut for "Paste to selected subfolder"

I'll try to explain it again. When you select the image, press Ctrl+X to cut, then go to another folder, up for example, then press Ctrl+V to paste to the new folder, the image is pasted to the selected subfolder, not to the current folder - as in explorer and all programs I know.
xnview wrote:Go to a folder with subfolder, enter in a subfolder (thumb view) with double click or enter, click on '..' or up, and the previous subfolder is now selected.
It's a very old behavior needed by all old users of ACDsee.
This is a standard behavior of all file managers I know too - and also explorer (at least in Windows Vista) and it's very useful.
Dreamer
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

Dreamer wrote:
xnview wrote:So the problem is if now you want to paste in this folder and not subfolder, you need to deselect it.
Yes, but why the file should be pasted to the subfolder? It's a new option? It's not a standard behavior and it's even danger feature IMHO. Is it possible to disable this feature?? Again - I think it should be disabled by default, or removed completely.
No, it's a standard behavior too, try in windows explorer for example
Pierre.
Troken

Post by Troken »

xnview wrote:
Dreamer wrote:
No, it's a standard behavior too, try in windows explorer for example
Yes, it is standard if the subfolder is selected already - in Windows. So that behaviour is ok.

But the problem is: no subfolder should get selected in the first place. That is also standard Windows behaviour. To copy into a subfolder, the user must take an active action and select the subfolder.

So XnView should imo mimic the behaviour of Windows.

Is there anyone else than me that thinks that this issue is really getting complicated? :)
Dreamer
XnThusiast

Post by Dreamer »

Strange, the file is pasted to the CURRENT folder, not to selected in explorer - always, I tried it again - it works the same way in all file managers (TC, FC, Salamander...). :o

Also when I enter the folder, then exit (press Backspace), the previous folder IS SELECTED!

My OS again: Windows Vista Home Premium 32 bit English.
Dreamer
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

:-)
So which option is the better?
"Select previous folder item" or "Can paste on subfolder item"??
Pierre.
Troken

Post by Troken »

Dreamer wrote:Strange, the file is pasted to the CURRENT folder, not to selected in explorer - always, I tried it again - it works the same way in all file managers (TC, FC, Salamander...). :o

Also when I enter the folder, then exit (press Backspace), the previous folder IS SELECTED!

Yes, confusing. So Microsoft has changed the behaviour of folders then...
xnview wrote::)
Oh, been away a couple of days, must read through the whole thread before answering that question.
Dreamer
XnThusiast

Post by Dreamer »

Troken wrote:
Dreamer wrote:Strange, the file is pasted to the CURRENT folder, not to selected in explorer - always, I tried it again - it works the same way in all file managers (TC, FC, Salamander...). :o

Yes, confusing. So Microsoft has changed the behaviour of folders then...
Perhaps because it's better. When you want to check several folders, you enter the first folder, exit, then go to second, third ... 25th and exit 25th folder, it's very useful if the 25th folder is selected and you can just press down and Enter, not search for that folder each time...
Troken wrote:
xnview wrote::)
Oh, been away a couple of days, must read through the whole thread before answering that question.
For me this is clear.

"Select previous folder item":
+ is useful (one example is above)
+ is the standard (in Windows Vista Explorer, Total Commander, FreeCommander, Altap Salamander...)
- ?

"Can paste on subfolder item":
+ might be useful for some users who know about it - how it works
- might be very danger for users who don't know about it
- it's not the standard in explorer, file managers...
Dreamer
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

Dreamer wrote: "Can paste on subfolder item":
So i add this option, ok?
Pierre.
Troken

Post by Troken »

xnview wrote:
Im not totally clear about the options anymore, but after Dreamers conclusion, I vote for "Select previous folder item", it has more "+" than "-". If that is standard for other managers, then it should be used I guess.
marsh
XnThusiast

Post by marsh »

xnview wrote:
For keyboard only? I see non-windows file-managers which paste both ways discussed here. It is difficult topic to follow, so I'm mainly looking at original article.
Dreamer
XnThusiast

Post by Dreamer »

xnview wrote:So i add this option, ok?
Which option do you mean now?

I think "Select previous folder item" should be retained and "Can paste on subfolder item" should be removed, or option should be added, but it should be disabled by default.

BTW "Select previous folder item" option is also in many other programs, it's missing in one (FTP client) and the navigation is really difficult there - when using this program I realize how useful this option is. I didn't see the other option in any program yet and I've tested many file managers and programs with the file managers, so I think it would be (it IS) more confusing than useful for most users (if it will be enabled by default).
Dreamer
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

:-)
Dreamer is for "Can paste on subfolder item" and Troken for "Select previous folder item".
I think that "Select previous folder item" is a standard behaviour.
But if i add "Can paste on subfolder item" as option, the problem is always the same for Troken!
:? Perhaps the solution will be 2 options???
Pierre.
Dreamer
XnThusiast

Post by Dreamer »

No, I'm for "Select previous folder item" too! I said "Can paste on subfolder item" should be removed, or added as option, disabled by default.

Just to be sure - "Can paste on subfolder item" is to paste into the subfolder, right? I think the default behavior should be the same as in explorer and other programs - always paste to the current folder, not to the selected subfolder.
Dreamer