Not enough memory bug

Ask for help and post your question on how to use XnView Classic.

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

surfacecleanerz

Not enough memory bug

Post by surfacecleanerz »

Hello,

I want to open an .tiff file via XNView file browser and when clicking on it in the list, it says "Not enough memory". If I open the picture before it in the list and then switch to the tiff file it is opened, as expected.

Happens in 1.92, too.

(Not that really annoying bug, because normally I have much memory free, but now an full virus scan 8antivir free) runs, which eats full 2GB...

XNView is great! I really won't miss it anymore!

Update: XNView seems to eat memory when opening .tiff files. It needs 530000KB for an 64MB tiff file. The internal viewser of Win XP needs only 290000KB

regards,
Stefan
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Post by XnTriq »

Hm, I thought this bug was fixed in v1.92.1 :?
XnTriq ([url=http://newsgroup.xnview.com/viewtopic.php?p=57412#57412]1.91.6 : Halt upon exiting[/url]) wrote:
xnview wrote:
XnTriq wrote: I had the same problem today in browser mode (XnView v1.92 on Windows 2000 SP4).
Really, do you reproduce it?
Yes, a (write-protected) TIF image is the culprit.
MARCANNE [url=http://newsgroup.xnview.com/viewtopic.php?p=58246#58246]Mémoire insuffisante[/url] wrote:Je possède un PC avec 4 Mo de RAM, et avec XnView je souhaite ouvrir des photos en TIF de 1,5 Go chacune. Impossible de les lire, le logiciel indiquant "MEMOIRE INSUFFISANTE"

Quelqu'un a-t-il une idée ?
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: B2: Not enough memory bug

Post by xnview »

surfacecleanerz wrote: Update: XNView seems to eat memory when opening .tiff files. It needs 530000KB for an 64MB tiff file. The internal viewser of Win XP needs only 290000KB
Is it a B&W picture? How many pixels?
Pierre.
surfacecleanerz

Hello,

No it is coloured. It is the same image as in the other thread:

it is 47,6MB. 15584x7792x32.

regards,
Stefan
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

surfacecleanerz wrote:Hello,

No it is coloured. It is the same image as in the other thread:

it is 47,6MB. 15584x7792x32.
So you need 464Mb to load it
Pierre.
JohnFredC
XnThusiast

Post by JohnFredC »

Hmmm... XnView has always had problems opening reasonably large images. See my old post here!
xnview wrote:So you need 464Mb to load it
Are you implying that is a general rule of thumb? Perhaps: Multiply the image file size by 10 to get the memory XnView needs to display it?

What kind of memory is that? RAM? Swap file? Video card?

I don't think XnView uses all available memory for displaying large files. I have a 4Gb swap file + ~450Mb of free RAM and the largest file that XnView will usually load is about 90Mb (it varies). With 4.5 Gb available, I would expect that (using the "times 10" formula) XnView should be able to open a 400Mb image without problem (though slowly, of course)...

But it won't!
John
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

JohnFredC wrote:Hmmm... XnView has always had problems opening reasonably large images. See my old post here!
xnview wrote:So you need 464Mb to load it
Are you implying that is a general rule of thumb? Perhaps: Multiply the image file size by 10 to get the memory XnView needs to display it?

What kind of memory is that? RAM? Swap file? Video card?
Sorry but i don't understand. For a 15584x7792x32 picture, i need 15584x7792x4 bytes
Pierre.
JohnFredC
XnThusiast

Post by JohnFredC »

Hi Pierre

You responded (above)
... where "it" was the 47.6Mb image posted by surfacecleanerz .

That's approximately 10x the image filesize.
John
surfacecleanerz

My image is LZW compressed, which should have a great affect, because 5ß% are transparent areas (because of a bug in the Panorama software...).
oops66
XnThusiast

Post by oops66 »

JohnFredC wrote:Hi Pierre
You responded (above)
... where "it" was the 47.6Mb image posted by surfacecleanerz .
That's approximately 10x the image filesize.
Hello,
It's normal:
The 47.6Mbytes image is "compressed", but you need to open it (RAM memory and/or hdd swap) : 15584x7792x32bits picture = (15584x7792x4bytes)/(1024*1024)Mbytes = 463.23 Mb, then at lest 464Mb of memory.
The same file in B&W = 15584x7792x1bit = 14.47Mb

Oops, too late ! LOL
My image is LZW compressed, which should have a great affect, because 5ß% are transparent areas (because of a bug in the Panorama software...).
XnViewMP Linux X64 - Debian - X64
surfacecleanerz

Hello,

ok, I understand the memory used to display it, but why it can be loaded when switching from one picture to the next in viewer mode and not when doubleclicking it in folder mode?

regards,
Stefan
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

surfacecleanerz wrote:Hello,

ok, I understand the memory used to display it, but why it can be loaded when switching from one picture to the next in viewer mode and not when doubleclicking it in folder mode?
Ok, View mode make a copy of the picture, that's the problem...
Pierre.
Jaff

Re:

Post by Jaff »

almost offtopic
surfacecleanerz wrote:My image is LZW compressed, which should have a great affect, because 5ß% are transparent areas (because of a bug in the Panorama software...).
No bug here! you have 1 transparent layer.
* Some people need a transparent image to edit it instead of completition with a single colour or Smart Automatic Color Completition (kind of zoom from inside to outside, completing missing pixels (yours are transparent) with nearest color used in image)
* Try to align (rotate) panorama before render to minimise output file size
* Crop image removing small parts of it like white sky from left
Imi este indiferent ce cred ceilalti despre mine, caci oricum fiecare crede ce-i convine lui si nu ceea ce e real, doar ca mi-ar fi placut sa ma vada asa cum sint de fapt, nu asa cum poate le-ar placea lor sa creada. Ei au ales deja...