XnView Multi Platform - alpha 0.001

Ideas for improvements and requests for new features in XnView MP

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

VuDu wrote:It doesn't look good on Gnome/XFCE... may look "native" on KDE but looks "alien" here.
Is it a toolkit problem?
Is there way to avoid those huge and ugly fonts/panels/scrollbars/tabs?
Could you post a screenshot? Currently it's a demo, so the interface is not final :-)
Pierre.
VuDu

Post by VuDu »

Here it is:

Ad decus et ad libertatem nati sumus
Aut haec teneamus aut cum dignitate moriamur
Schattenreiter

Post by Schattenreiter »

VuDu wrote:Here it is:

Lum! :shock:

Where did you get this one?! =D

Please, tell me!
HackIntosh
Mountain Lion 10.8.2G530GA-Z77M-D3HSapphire 5770Soundblaster Audigy Platinum16GB-1333-DDR3Atheros AR9280
Cambuci-RJ

Post by Cambuci-RJ »

Last edited by Cambuci-RJ on Fri Jan 25, 2008 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VuDu

Post by VuDu »

xnview wrote:
VuDu wrote:It doesn't look good on Gnome/XFCE... may look "native" on KDE but looks "alien" here.
Is it a toolkit problem?
Is there way to avoid those huge and ugly fonts/panels/scrollbars/tabs?
Could you post a screenshot? Currently it's a demo, so the interface is not final :-)
I'm a programmer too, so I know what a 0.0001 alpha version means ;) :wink:
Here's another screenshot with some "native" looking windows:

Btw, what are your plans on this project? Keep it as XnView handicaped brother or "breed" till it overkills the main project?
Ad decus et ad libertatem nati sumus
Aut haec teneamus aut cum dignitate moriamur
jgutierrez

Post by jgutierrez »

Looks quite promising Piere.

Will that new codebase be compilable x64?

Will be the QT libraries statically linked? Also it would be great for the Visual C++ 2003 runtimes.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

jgutierrez wrote: Will that new codebase be compilable x64?
Yes
jgutierrez wrote: Will be the QT libraries statically linked? Also it would be great for the Visual C++ 2003 runtimes.
I don't know yet
Pierre.
JohnFredC
XnThusiast

Post by JohnFredC »

Hi Pierre

I just want to comment that XnView has been down a long road and many versions to acquire the favorable features and design we currently enjoy. XnView represents a consensus of many inputs and because of that, most users (I think) like the way it looks, works, and feels.

In light of that...
...please consider very carefully whether it would be advisable for you to "re-invent" the interface at this late date, even if the XnView MP project offers a tempting opportunity to do so!

IMHO, all versions of XnView should look and behave the same way (within the restrictions imposed by platform specifics, of course).

EDIT

After making such a strong statement :shock: , let me add that I personally really like the vertical tabs on the XnView MP folder tree sidebar to select between folders and categories. Hope they are implemented in the current version sometime soon!

Thanks for listening!
John
marsh
XnThusiast

Post by marsh »

JohnFredC wrote: After making such a strong statement :shock: , let me add that I personally really like the vertical tabs on the XnView MP folder tree sidebar to select between folders and categories. Hope they are implemented in the current version sometime soon!
Vertical tab placement is very "KDE", I guess. I remember some of your old screenshots which showed them. Better for symbols than words? It would be fun to see an example without, also.
Cambuci-RJ

Post by Cambuci-RJ »

Does XnView MP support graphic format .gif?
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

Cambuci-RJ wrote:Does XnView MP support graphic format .gif?
yes
Pierre.
WDef

Post by WDef »

Thanks Pierre for all your hard work on XnView multiplatform.

You might recall I'm the guy who built a uci package for Damnsmalllinux with your permission out of the static redhat binary for XnView1.70, which works very well (except for the famous menu crashing issue), available eg

http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... mydsl/uci/

and in the mirrors.

The new XnViewMPAlpha won't run on dsl however since it requires libstdc++.so.6

We dsl users very much appreciated the way you provided binaries for XnView1.70 for linux compiled against an older glibc etc on RedHat - this meant I could build a uci for Damnsmalllinux.

Would you be able to perhaps provide an additional static build of XnViewMPAlpha on an older system using libstdc++.so.5 (I think maybe RedHat9 - or definitely Debian Woody / Knoppix3.4) again?

EDIT: I don't know but you may need to talk to Trolltech or whoever about getting Qt that's been backported to the older environment - however I'm quite sure they would have it.
stenosis

Post by stenosis »

great, looking forward for this :D
califdaves

Features with Post subject: XnView Multi Platform - alpha 0.

Post by califdaves »

Have had xnview for a while, have no problem running on mac os x 10.4.11 with recent xcode. I am confused by the whole category of PLUGIN I see them all over the forum but can't find any Mac related folders associated with xnview for addon or plugin.

I do not see any of the other features that appear on your website??

Please Help, I have been really looking through forums et al but cannot find an answer to the plugin on mac os x questions.

Thanks Much. Merci Beaucoup!!

Dave
Troken

Post by Troken »

Fantastic, I just played around with Linux the first time last weekend (Ubuntu) and this comes as splendid news!