"Rebuild thumbnail"-suggestion

Ideas for improvements and requests for new features in XnView Classic

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

Troken

"Rebuild thumbnail"-suggestion

Post by Troken »

Hello,

I was wondering if it could be possible to rebuild only a selected file/folder thumbnail. Now all files in current folder are rebuilt. This takes quite some time if you have many/large files in a folder.

thanks
Troken
JohnFredC
XnThusiast

Post by JohnFredC »

Support++++
John
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: "Rebuild thumbnail"-suggestion

Post by xnview »

Troken wrote:Hello,

I was wondering if it could be possible to rebuild only a selected file/folder thumbnail. Now all files in current folder are rebuilt. This takes quite some time if you have many/large files in a folder.
Ok, but why do you want only rebuild one thumbnail??
Pierre.
Troken

Re: "Rebuild thumbnail"-suggestion

Post by Troken »

xnview wrote:Ok, but why do you want only rebuild one thumbnail??
It's mostly when I want to update folder-thumbs, after changing the content.
Karl02

Post by Karl02 »

I would expect that the thumbnail of a folder is updated automatically when the content of that folder changes, but in version 1.91.6 this is not always the case. When dragging and dropping an image to a subfolder, the thumbnail of that subfolder is updated. However, when cutting the image, changing to the subfolder, pasting the image and go up again, the thumbnail is not updated. Is this a bug :?:
-- Karl
Troken

Post by Troken »

Karl02 wrote:I would expect that the thumbnail of a folder is updated automatically when the content of that folder changes, but in version 1.91.6 this is not always the case. ...
I can confirm this.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

Troken wrote:
Karl02 wrote:I would expect that the thumbnail of a folder is updated automatically when the content of that folder changes, but in version 1.91.6 this is not always the case. ...
I can confirm this.
Right, so the problem is only for folder thumbnail?
Pierre.
Troken

Post by Troken »

xnview wrote:Right, so the problem is only for folder thumbnail?
I think so, but I have not tested on single files.
Karl02

Post by Karl02 »

If I edit an image with an external editor, the thumbnail of the image is updated correctly, but the thumbnail of the folder is not updated. It seems that xnview isn't watching for changes of a folder/directory.

In this context I'd like to mention that it is not possible to paste images to a subfolder by right-clicking on it and selecting "Paste". See also this post. Instead, the image is copied as "Copy of ..." to the same folder. This is not intuitive in my opinion.
-- Karl
loth

Post by loth »

xnview wrote:
Troken wrote:
I can confirm this.
Right, so the problem is only for folder thumbnail?
this is now working in 1.92 quite good :-) thank you.
Karl02

Post by Karl02 »

In version 1.92 it is now possible to rebuild only the thumbnail of a single folder, but the thumbnail of the folder is not always automatically updated. I have written a bug report for this case.
-- Karl
Troken

Post by Troken »

Yes, hence this thread is solved. The new feature works well, but automatic update would be interesting too of course.
herr_k.

Post by herr_k. »

great thanks.
through which criteria it is chosen which 4 thumbs are show on the folder?
i would like to see (in the context menu pressing right mouse over the foldertab) the choice also to rebuild the thumbs with the newest pictures in the folder (also automatic this would be a better solution for me).

alternativ it would be great if one could see the actual folder name over/inside the folder-icon, because i never use the labels like filename.. on the picturethumbs, but it is a little bit annoying, that automatically the foldernames are also not shown.
so either maybe an option to hide file- & foldernames seperately (with still remaining folderthumbs) or show the folder name instead of the folderthumbs, so no space is wasted.
or perfect would be like this with option to choose the font/size:

is this possible?
loth

Post by loth »

herr_k. wrote:great thanks.
through which criteria it is chosen which 4 thumbs are show on the folder?
i would like to see (in the context menu pressing right mouse over the foldertab) the choice also to rebuild the thumbs with the newest pictures in the folder (also automatic this would be a better solution for me).

alternativ it would be great if one could see the actual folder name over/inside the folder-icon, because i never use the labels like filename.. on the picturethumbs, but it is a little bit annoying, that automatically the foldernames are also not shown.
so either maybe an option to hide file- & foldernames seperately (with still remaining folderthumbs) or show the folder name instead of the folderthumbs, so no space is wasted.
or perfect would be like this with option to choose the font/size:

is this possible?
i like your idea.
have a look at this thread http://newsgroup.xnview.com/viewtopic.p ... highlight=
maybe you open a new one too.