"embedded thumbnail" overlay doesn't work (1.91.4)

Bugs found in XnView Classic. Please report only one bug per topic!

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

ilgaspa

"embedded thumbnail" overlay doesn't work (1.91.4)

Post by ilgaspa »

BUG SUMMARY
XnView version: 1.91.4

I noticed that "Has embedded thumbnail" overlay (the little icon appearing in bottom right corner of a thumbnail if the image has an embedded exif thumbnail preview) doesn't appear for any on my images in XnView 1.91.4, altrought them all contain the embedded thumbnail.

I havent' the old versions anymore, so I don't know if installing an older version of XnView solves the problem, but I'm pretty sure it's a bug as even images taken directly from my canon cameras haven't the overlay in 1.91.4.

I also tried reinstalling xnview from scratch and rebuilding the thumbnails (even with exifer) but the overlay is still missing.

I'm sorry, but as all of the images I have doesn't display the overlay (even the ones wich are read directly from my camera) I can't find the exact steps to reproduce this bug.

(obviously I checked that the embedded thumbnail checkbox under File info is checked... and it is ;-) )
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: "embedded thumbnail" overlay doesn't work (1.9

Post by xnview »

ilgaspa wrote:BUG SUMMARY
XnView version: 1.91.4

I noticed that "Has embedded thumbnail" overlay (the little icon appearing in bottom right corner of a thumbnail if the image has an embedded exif thumbnail preview) doesn't appear for any on my images in XnView 1.91.4, altrought them all contain the embedded thumbnail.

I havent' the old versions anymore, so I don't know if installing an older version of XnView solves the problem, but I'm pretty sure it's a bug as even images taken directly from my canon cameras haven't the overlay in 1.91.4.

I also tried reinstalling xnview from scratch and rebuilding the thumbnails (even with exifer) but the overlay is still missing.

I'm sorry, but as all of the images I have doesn't display the overlay (even the ones wich are read directly from my camera) I can't find the exact steps to reproduce this bug.

(obviously I checked that the embedded thumbnail checkbox under File info is checked... and it is ;-) )
Could you send me a sample file?
Pierre.
ilgaspa

Post by ilgaspa »

I'll send it in a couple of minutes... it's going to be a big mail (2.5MB), I prefer not resizing it and ensure that the metadata remains intact
ilgaspa

Post by ilgaspa »

Mail sent :-) It has the same subject as the thread title ;-)
ilgaspa

Post by ilgaspa »

Ok, i think I found the problem:

if "Use embedded thumbnail" is not checked, the overlay is never displayed, even for images that have an embedded thumbnail. I never noticed this before O_o I think that the overlay should be shown always if an image has an embedded thumbnail, regardless of the fact the thumbnail is then used by the browser or not...

steps to reproduce
1 Uncheck "Use embedded thumbnail"
2 be sure that the embedded thumbnail checkbox under File info is checked
3 clear your thumbnail cache
4 go to an image that has a thumbnail: the overlay doesn't appear
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

ilgaspa wrote:Ok, i think I found the problem:

if "Use embedded thumbnail" is not checked, the overlay is never displayed, even for images that have an embedded thumbnail. I never noticed this before O_o I think that the overlay should be shown always if an image has an embedded thumbnail, regardless of the fact the thumbnail is then used by the browser or not...
No, this icon show you that the thumbnail is taken from embedded thumbnail
Pierre.
spacemarine

Post by spacemarine »

ilgaspa wrote: I think that the overlay should be shown always if an image has an embedded thumbnail, regardless of the fact the thumbnail is then used by the browser or not...
Yes, yes and yes, I also think so ;)

I just installed 1.91.5, and after playing around with it, I also found that
behaviour annoying (I also thought it to be a bug :bugconfirmed:).
This behaviour definately is confusing and not what users would expect IMHO.

I always thought that the little thumbnail symbol indicates the presence
of an embedded thumbnail, just as e.g. the EXIF symbol indicates the
presence of EXIF information.

I think the thumbnail symbol should always be shown if the image contains
an embedded thumbnail.
If this thumbnail is then actually used for creating / displaying
the image thumbnail in XnView's browser, then the thumbnail icon should
maybe be a little different ...
for example, using a different color.

Please think about it.
Cheers,
Spacemarine