Magnify

Ideas for improvements and requests for new features in XnView Classic

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

magn

Magnify

Post by magn »

Hi!

Thanks for this good program.

I tried many others, but always come back to XnView. But I have a suggestion for a new function. There is a free program called FastStone Image Viewer, which does the following function: Magnify. It's really cool, and I think more usable than the current zoom functions.

It works like this:
The user is viewing a picture, than pushes the left mouse button, and the picture is immadietely zoomed in to a preset value (for example: 200%). While holding the left mouse button, the user can scroll the current zoomed image. Releasing the button, the picture returns to its original zoom level.

This is better than current zoom funtion, because it zooms to a specific area of the picture (where the cursor stays), and only for the time the button is pressed. It also zooms immediately to the preset zoom value. And it only uses the mouse, which is more comfortable than mouse + keyboard.
Yes, I know I can configure the zoom to the mouse wheel, but its better for picture switching.

Could you make this function (selectable) ? :)
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: Magnify

Post by xnview »

magn wrote:Hi!

Thanks for this good program.

I tried many others, but always come back to XnView. But I have a suggestion for a new function. There is a free program called FastStone Image Viewer, which does the following function: Magnify. It's really cool, and I think more usable than the current zoom functions.

It works like this:
The user is viewing a picture, than pushes the left mouse button, and the picture is immadietely zoomed in to a preset value (for example: 200%). While holding the left mouse button, the user can scroll the current zoomed image. Releasing the button, the picture returns to its original zoom level.

This is better than current zoom funtion, because it zooms to a specific area of the picture (where the cursor stays), and only for the time the button is pressed. It also zooms immediately to the preset zoom value. And it only uses the mouse, which is more comfortable than mouse + keyboard.
Yes, I know I can configure the zoom to the mouse wheel, but its better for picture switching.

Could you make this function (selectable) ? :)
Ok :-)
Pierre.
Dreamer
XnThusiast

Post by Dreamer »

+1

...but I'd like to have more options, also as customized mouse shortcut, for example right+left button, or - another idea:

Make a standard function when using left button + move a cursor (make selection, move picture), but "quick zoom" (feature requested in the first post) after a second. I don't know if it would work, but it would be better - to have all the functions on the left mouse button.
Dreamer
pic_viewer

Post by pic_viewer »

Dreamer wrote:+1

...but I'd like to have more options, also as customized mouse shortcut, for example right+left button, or - another idea:

Make a standard function when using left button + move a cursor (make selection, move picture), but "quick zoom" (feature requested in the first post) after a second. I don't know if it would work, but it would be better - to have all the functions on the left mouse button.
But nobody wants to wait for a second. And with hi-q zoom enabled it will be even more than that. Means for this function we need another option to disable hi-q zoom, or disable it automatically.
Dreamer
XnThusiast

Post by Dreamer »

It was just an idea - of course option is needed, what about this:

Use left mouse button to:

( ) make selection
( ) move picture
( ) magnify
(o) make selection + magnify in [0.6*] ms without moving a cursor
( ) move picture + magnify in [0.6*] ms without moving a cursor

* This number would be customizable.

Then perhpas a permanent shortcuts - Ctrl+left button, Shift+, Alt+... to make selection, move picture, magnify. This way all actions would be possible and anyone could choose action for left button only.
Dreamer