Square selection with Ctrl or Shift

Ideas for improvements and requests for new features in XnView Classic

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

VuDu

Square selection with Ctrl or Shift

Post by VuDu »

<Moderator's note: This topic has been split from another topic>

One nice thing that would be very usefull it's the ability to set some aspect ratio (default 1:1) when holding Shift or Ctrl when making a selection. This already exists in Adobe's Photoshop and I'd really love to see it on XnView.

For example, we have a large picture and we want to crop a a 1:1 selection area to use it for a Forum avatar, we could just hold Shift and select the area and we'd be sure that the result would be a square ;)
Ad decus et ad libertatem nati sumus
Aut haec teneamus aut cum dignitate moriamur
nerbrume

Post by nerbrume »

VuDu wrote:One nice thing that would be very usefull it's the ability to set some aspect ratio (default 1:1) when holding Shift or Ctrl when making a selection. This already exists in Adobe's Photoshop and I'd really love to see it on XnView.

For example, we have a large picture and we want to crop a a 1:1 selection area to use it for a Forum avatar, we could just hold Shift and select the area and we'd be sure that the result would be a square ;)
Hello !

mmm, this thread is quite old, but I stumble upon it searching for this very feature.
So I second it, holding shift is quite a natural usage to make square selections.

Thanks ! :mrgreen:
nerbrume

Post by nerbrume »

And thanks Mod for moving this one.
I didn't dare starting another thread :? .
nim

Post by nim »

bumping this request and voting for shift as the modifier in question as it's shift in photoshop
helmut

Post by helmut »

nim wrote:bumping this request and voting for shift as the modifier in question as it's shift in photoshop
I second this request. Shift key sounds very good to me, all MS Office products (Wod, PowerPoint, ...) use the Shift key for square shapes.
coverback

Post by coverback »

count me in as well, very convenient feature if you ask me.