Dual pane file browser [with visuals]...

Ideas for improvements and requests for new features in XnView Classic

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

TsunamiZ

Post by TsunamiZ »

Hey it's just a feature that is useful if added to XnView. Whether or not it's practical to add at this time is a different consideration.
Xyzzy

Post by Xyzzy »

OK.
TsunamiZ

Post by TsunamiZ »

Another consideration:

With the vision of the future being thin display technologies, widescreen television, widescreen computer screens, higher resolution enviroments, you would expect to see more implementation of dual pane style features in more programs in the future. Such as dual pane: web browsers, file managers, dual page display mode in more programs, etc. It's the next step up from having tabs to browse multipages.

So with that anticipation of making better use of 4:3 and widescreens, it's about time programmers consider similar concepts on how to make multitasking in programs more intuitive, seamless, and visually informative. :idea:
Xyzzy

Post by Xyzzy »

IMO too much efforts currently goes into making more visual impression instead of practical functionality. We get slow interfaces with aesthetics of Barbie. But people seem to buy it and customer, voting with a wallet, is always right :( Good XnView is freeware :)

One can make great GUI with Windows 2000 style and Vista's Aero Glass is ugly.

As for 'multi-pane everything', application has to be written with that in mind. Otherwise rewrite is rather necessity.

X.
TsunamiZ

Post by TsunamiZ »

But you should be aware that I mentioned how specific GUI enhancements improve user efficiency and visual ergonomics. It's not just to make a program look polished and modern. It's about visual organization and allowing responsive workflow by the user.

Most modern PC's have no noticable impact on the CPU with running "eye candy" interfaces. And professionally / thoughtfully designed "eye candy" is often times overlooked for their productive enhancements. For example: Apple OSX skin vs. Microsoft XP...

Notice, for the OSX skin, how much quicker it is to see which boxes are checked and where buttons are. The OSX skin has a nice contrast color coding. The XP skin is rather low contrast and requires more interpretation time by the user [thus slower user interaction]. These factors are magnified when viewing the GUI small or from a distance. Visually ergonomic GUI also helps to reduce user error by making items easier to approve by the user.
Last edited by TsunamiZ on Fri Feb 17, 2006 4:53 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Danny

Re: Dual pane file browser [with visuals]...

Post by Danny »

xnview wrote:Ok, but need a fully rewrite of the interface....
Another (temporary?) solution could be the possibility of having multiple browser windows (tabs). That would allow similar functionality (like Xyplorer, in case you know it).
I bet that wouldn't need a recode, would it?
Last edited by Danny on Fri Feb 17, 2006 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TsunamiZ

Post by TsunamiZ »

Danny wrote:
xnview wrote:Ok, but need a fully rewrite of the interface....
Another (temporary?) solution could be the possibility of having multiple browser windows. That, combined with the tabbing feature, would allow similar functionality (like Xyplorer, in case you know it).
I bet that wouldn't need a recode, would it?
That's not really the same as dual pane integrated into the program. The tiling would be a hassle to setup if running more than one program on the taskbar. You would have to control 2 different taskbar tabs for minimize/restore. Activating each instance of the program would require a preliminary click. Change of program settings wouldn't be synchronized. Large toolbars wouldn't be fully displayed. Tabs wouldn't be as easy to manage. And I can go on and on about more reasons. Only a true dual pane browser could bring significant workflow efficiency.
Xyzzy

Post by Xyzzy »

TsunamiZ wrote:But you should be aware that I mentioned how specific GUI enhancements improve user efficiency and visual ergonomics. It's not just to make a program look polished and modern. It's about visual organization and allowing responsive workflow by the user.
I don't think these examples serve your purpose. It is not important if option is selected or not (because the fact of selection/unselection has not meaning itself), but the name/function of option. I also don't know why drop-down list selectors are highlighted. First I need to get option meaning, the way of functioning is secondary.

X.
Danny

Post by Danny »

TsunamiZ wrote:That's not really the same as dual pane integrated into the program. The tiling would be a hassle to setup if running more than one program on the taskbar. You would have to control 2 different taskbar tabs for minimize/restore. Activating each instance of the program would require a preliminary click. Change of program settings wouldn't be synchronized. Large toolbars wouldn't be fully displayed. Tabs wouldn't be as easy to manage. And I can go on and on about more reasons. Only a true dual pane browser could bring significant workflow efficiency.
You don't fully grasp what i was saying. Let this image help you understand:
TsunamiZ

Post by TsunamiZ »

Xyzzy wrote:
TsunamiZ wrote:But you should be aware that I mentioned how specific GUI enhancements improve user efficiency and visual ergonomics. It's not just to make a program look polished and modern. It's about visual organization and allowing responsive workflow by the user.
I don't think these examples serve your purpose. It is not important if option is selected or not (because the fact of selection/unselection has not meaning itself), but the name/function of option. I also don't know why drop-down list selectors are highlighted. First I need to get option meaning, the way of functioning is secondary.

X.
It doesn't directly relate with the original topic. But it was pointed out to you for the "eye candy is a waste of time" comments.
Last edited by TsunamiZ on Fri Feb 17, 2006 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TsunamiZ

Post by TsunamiZ »

Danny:

How did you bring up another browser tab?
Danny

Post by Danny »

TsunamiZ wrote:Danny:

I didn't. That was my suggestion. Being able to have multiple browser tabs.
TsunamiZ

Post by TsunamiZ »

Danny wrote:
TsunamiZ wrote:Danny:

I didn't. That was my suggestion. Being able to have multiple browser tabs.
Yes that would be nice, too.
TsunamiZ

Post by TsunamiZ »

Also would be nice to have a Recycle Bin tab.
Dreamer
XnThusiast

Post by Dreamer »

Already suggested here.

XnView already have more 'file manager' features that some file managers.

Maybe a completely new program - just a browser could be created instead of implementing such feature to xnview. I don't know. It would be "Image / multimedia file manager" with direct access to xnview, with previews, thumbnails... In xnview could be an option to switch to this "Image file manager" instead of xnview browser. What do you think?

Anyway, I like this idea, as xnview feature or new program, since it's my idea. :wink: