Missing features in linux version?

Questions, suggestions, and answers for XnView on all Un*x platforms (Linux, HP-UX, AIX, ...)

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

cRoMo

Post by cRoMo »

But QT-based xnview will definetely be much slower that FOX-based, even when using QT 4.1. And actually I am not sure if QT is a portable widget in the way FOX is. But it's all up to the xnview developer :)[/b]
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

cRoMo wrote:But QT-based xnview will definetely be much slower that FOX-based, even when using QT 4.1. And actually I am not sure if QT is a portable widget in the way FOX is. But it's all up to the xnview developer :)[/b]
The problem is that i don't want X11 on MacOS X
Pierre.

Post by Guest »

Are you going to build the Windows version with QT too?
Any estimated date we could expect this new version for Linux

Post by Guest »

cRoMo wrote:But QT-based xnview will definetely be much slower that FOX-based, even when using QT 4.1.
How do you define "slow" and "fast"?

E.g. I personally think that the current Motif implementation is "fast", and if it's sometimes not so fast, then it's not the GUI library's fault - displaying large images can be "slow" sometimes, so what?

I don't think that the GUI library will be the bottleneck here.
cRoMo wrote:And actually I am not sure if QT is a portable widget in the way FOX is.
It is. It can be used with almost any compiler out there on Win32, Mac and X11 platforms, and on Win32 and Mac it imitatates the native look almost perfectly.

By the way, this is just another point where Qt, together with other ones, wins over FOX: Qt and the other ones are "really" themeable, FOX is not. With FOX you can only change fonts and the colour scheme, but the actual look is hard-wired to imitate that of Windows 2000 everywhere.

Qt and the other ones can look like almost everything with themes. This is not just cosmetic stuff, it also has something to do with accessibility. After all these things, maybe it might be worth using a "slower" GUI library, because you get much compensation for the "slowness".

I think Pierre should just use what he likes best. The result will be the best if he uses the libraries he likes most.
cRoMo

Post by cRoMo »

Saying slower I meant running times, all the apps written in Fox I tried were running really fast and I never saw any QT app beeing that fast. This could change with QT 4 and hopefully will.
I do agree with you that very often it's not GUI fault of slowness.
Regarding portability - I have no expirience with QT and as I said I was not sure of QT's portability capabilities so if you're saing it _is_ convinient to use QT for multiplatform programming I belive you know what you're saing ;)
Regarding themability - I was convinced that FOX does use native theming on both linux and windows and seems I was wrong.

Anyway, I do hope to see XnView on QT unless it's written with QT 4.x ;)

Post by Guest »

cRoMo wrote:Regarding themability - I was convinced that FOX does use native theming on both linux and windows [...]
Sorry to say, but it doesn't. I'm using X File Explorer - a FOX application - as my daily file manager and am very lucky with it (because it's incredibly much faster than both Nautilus and Konqueror), but it doesn't support native theming:

It's not bad, but you can only change the colours, not the overall look, the widgets' forms and so on...
cromo

Post by cromo »

Do you already have any plans regarding qt-port of xnview, any estimated release date?
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

cromo wrote:Do you already have any plans regarding qt-port of xnview, any estimated release date?
I start the development in August...
Pierre.

Post by Guest »

xnview wrote:
cromo wrote:Do you already have any plans regarding qt-port of xnview, any estimated release date?
You WILL start or you startED? ... :wink:
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

Anonymous wrote:
xnview wrote:
I'll start :-)
Pierre.

Post by Guest »

xnview wrote:
Anonymous wrote:
xnview wrote: I start the development in August...
I'll start :-)
Hi,

As you plan to release a Linux QT version, do you consider enabling it to use some KDE components like the kprinter printing dialog or the KDE file dialog?

kind regards,
Bartek M.