More UNDOs and REDOs

Ideas for improvements and requests for new features in XnView Classic

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

Irving

More UNDOs and REDOs

Post by Irving »

I'd like to see at least 5 undo levels.

Edit: Renamed from "more UNDO's" to "More UNDOs and REDOs". Dreamer.
Clo
XnThusiast

Soon ?

Post by Clo »

:) Hello !
- Indeed I support that wish which has been expressed already here…
- I don't know if 5 levels are possible (I suppose more deep, more difficult to implement…).
• AFAIR, Pierre promised to improve the undo depth soon…

:mrgreen: Kind regards,
Claude
Clo
Old user ON SELECTIVE STRIKE till further notice
Dreamer
XnThusiast

Re: Soon ?

Post by Dreamer »

Clo wrote:- I don't know if 5 levels are possible (I suppose more deep, more difficult to implement…).
I don't think so, I think, more that one undo would depends only on memory...

However, I support this request too!

Unlimited undo, depending only on memory would be nice.

I think, with more undo, also "redo" (Ctrl+Y) feature is very important.
Irving

Post by Irving »

Well, it's why I asked for a small number.

I have a program that'll give me at least 50 undos, and I'd never be able to remember what I did at step 12 anyway. :D
mulder

but with caution ...

Post by mulder »

Yes, I agree with this, but don't make this very complicated, because I think that continous presses of Ctrl+Z to see my image before/after some modification (brightness for ex.) and to help me decide which is better is one of the greatest XnView features ...
Olive

Post by Olive »

I support this request, but then we would need a redo button too.
JohnFredC
XnThusiast

Post by JohnFredC »

I certainly support additional undos... but what I really want is behavior that allows me to retain my adjustments without affecting the original file until I choose to "render" them to it or to another file. Picassa and Raw Shooter Essentials support this kind of functionality. They save the changes you have made to images separately from the image, then re-apply the changes "in real time" if you choose to review an image you have adjusted in the past.

Raw Shooter even lets you assign each version to a tab and compare one to the other before rendering them permanently to files.

It is empowering to re-view an image in Picassa or Raw Shooter and undo a change (or changes) one made several days ago.

Today I perform this same function by saving many different versions as separate files. These files are hard to keep track of (methodical filenaming conventions are necessary) and, since I work with 90Mb PNGs, take up a lot of disk space.

I really like the idea of "virtual editing" of images as described above... it would replace my file maintenance chores with something more intuitive and save me time, too.
John
klumy

Post by klumy »

you have my vote ;)
XNView 1.91.5
Windows XP SP3

Post by Guest »

more undos/redos would be great.
@johnfred: i think this one would bloat the xnview TOO much. it has to remain small.
JohnFredC
XnThusiast

Post by JohnFredC »

I, for one, have no specific requirement for XNView to remain small. Even if it were to double in size, it would still have a negligible footprint on a modern system... even on a 64Mb memory stick.

So, size of executable shouldn't factor (to any significant degree) into decisions concerning XNView enhancements. The author's context and anticipated scope for XNView and the usefulness of any proposed enhancement should rate much higher.

If XNView had a generalized plugin interface, then "fancy" functionality such as I suggested above could be implemented in plugin DLLs. Then users with disk space issues could choose not to install specific functionality (represented by the corresponding plugin DLLs) in order to make the XNView footprint smaller in their target storage device.
John
ckit
XnThusiast

Post by ckit »

I support this as well - undo levels should only be limited by the amount of RAM you have installed!
AMD Ryzen 3 3300X 3.8Ghz, 16Gb DDR4, RX6600XT with Dell U2520D at 2560x1440@60Hz
Windows 11 Pro x64 23H2, PowerToys and Wintoys
JohnL

Post by JohnL »

I give this suggestion my full support

JohnL
camelgrass

Post by camelgrass »

I've been testing XnView just recently and that's the only reason I don't use it - because of only one "undo" level.

That would send me just crazy, I frequently use numerous undo levels and to have to restart the edit all over just 'cos I want to change something two steps back - well as I said before I'd have to book myself into a mental institution.

Cheers, Marty
surfacecleanerz

Post by surfacecleanerz »

200 undo levels are a number which should fit the needs of most persons, I think. But unlimited or RAM-limited is ok,too.

This feature is the highest priority one, I think!

A popup field, which says, which operation is undoed by pressing undo would be nice and of course redo with this popup, too. Or even a list to unfold via a button for both functions.