b2: Show thumbnail for file shortcut

Bugs and Issues in 1.82 Test versions which have been fixed and verified as resolved.

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

Xyzzy

b2: Show thumbnail for file shortcut

Post by Xyzzy »

Hello!

This option, regarding name, should control creation/display of thumbnail for lnk to image file.

What it actually does is to show 'info icons' for lnk file if it is selected (thumbnail is always created) AND Show info icons is selected (and of course target file has EXIF etc.).
If Show info icons is not selected, it does nothing.

I think either the option name or option action is completely wrong.

X.
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: b2: Show thumbnail for file shotcut

Post by xnview »

Xyzzy wrote:Hello!

This option, regarding name, should control creation/display of thumbnail for lnk to image file.

What it actually does is to show 'info icons' for lnk file if it is selected (thumbnail is always created) AND Show info icons is selected (and of course target file has EXIF etc.).
If Show info icons is not selected, it does nothing.

I think either the option name or option action is completely wrong.
Sorry i don't understand the problem?
Pierre.
Xyzzy

Post by Xyzzy »

Option is 'Show thumbnail for file shortcut'.
I think that it defines if there are thumbnails for links to image files. But it is not so.
So either option is broken or option name is wrong. One of these should be corrected.

X.
Clo
XnThusiast

Any file---

Post by Clo »

:arrow: Xyzzy

:) Hello L. !

- I understand that option as "Short cuts to any file-type", not only image-files…
- I have mainly *.lnk files for EXEs, and the browser displays the appropriate icon as thumb-nail for each programme as it should, and like I expect…

:mrgreen: Kind regards,
Claude
Clo
Last edited by Clo on Tue Dec 20, 2005 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Old user ON SELECTIVE STRIKE till further notice
Xyzzy

Post by Xyzzy »

I created shortcut to application .exe. Regardless of setting, application icon is displayed. Changing it has no effect. That is the problem. The only effect I see is as described.

I agree that it refers to file of any type.

L.
helmut

Post by helmut »

When activating option "Show thumbnail for file shotcut", a thumbnail is shown for shortcuts which link to a file which allows for creating a thumbnail. When unchecking the normal file symbol with link should appear.

As far as I can see this is broken: When unchecking the option the thumbnail is still shown, but it shouldn't. :bug: Even cleaning the thumbnail cache does not help.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

helmut wrote:When activating option "Show thumbnail for file shotcut", a thumbnail is shown for shortcuts which link to a file which allows for creating a thumbnail. When unchecking the normal file symbol with link should appear.

As far as I can see this is broken: When unchecking the option the thumbnail is still shown, but it shouldn't. :bug: Even cleaning the thumbnail cache does not help.
No it works for me, perhaps you have it in cache??
Pierre.
Xyzzy

Post by Xyzzy »

b2
Deleted INI and disabled cache completely (unchecked Browser>Cache>Enable caching).

The only effect of this option, if checked, is that for lnk leading to JPEG there are info icons for EXIF etc. displayed. If unchecked, they are not.
Thumbnail for LNK is displayed anyway.

X.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

Xyzzy wrote:b2
Deleted INI and disabled cache completely (unchecked Browser>Cache>Enable caching).

The only effect of this option, if checked, is that for lnk leading to JPEG there are info icons for EXIF etc. displayed. If unchecked, they are not.
Thumbnail for LNK is displayed anyway.
Really, i don't understand. if unchecked i have only the icon of the link file
Pierre.
Xyzzy

Post by Xyzzy »

Definitely problem here!

I made another test: in Windows created shotcut to XnView executable and changed its icon to icon from another application (another exe).

b2, deleted ini, cleared and disabled cache. Navigated to directory with shortcut to XnView I created. Icon of another application was displayed. BAD, XnView icon should be displayed.

X.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

If 'show thumbnail link' is disabled and clean .ini, you must not have the file in thumbnail list.
Someone has the same problem?
Pierre.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

After some test, i have the same problem... (Only on Xp)
Pierre.
Xyzzy

Post by Xyzzy »

Still problems

b3, deleted ini, cleared and disabled cache.

Created directory with links to jpg, jpg with EXIF, video, html and exe file. In Windows changed icon for exe shortcut to icon from some other exe.

I navigate to created directory.
1. There are thumbnails for image and video files only. :bug:, there should be thumbnails also for HTML file and icon embedded in exe (or is it supposed to work this way, ie. only for images and video files?.
2. I press F5- info icons for shortcut (little arrows) disappear. :bug:
2a. Go to another directory and back to make these icons reappear.
3. Uncheck Browser>Thumbnail>Show thumbnail for file shortcut
3. I press F5, info icons for shortcut (little arrows) disappear (the same bug) and display is not changed (this may be by design).
3a. I navigate to another directory and back-> Everything is OK now.

To sum it up:
- F5 makes info icons for shortcut disappear- :bug:
- "Shortcut thumbnails" are made only for image & video files- :bug: or by design
- F5 does not refresh file list according to current state of Show thumbnail for file shortcut option - :bug: or by design

Moving to New.

X.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

Xyzzy wrote:1. There are thumbnails for image and video files only. :bug:, there should be thumbnails also for HTML file and icon embedded in exe (or is it supposed to work this way, ie. only for images and video files?.
It's normal that you have no thumb for HTML so not a bug
2. I press F5- info icons for shortcut (little arrows) disappear. :bug:
2a. Go to another directory and back to make these icons reappear.
3. Uncheck Browser>Thumbnail>Show thumbnail for file shortcut
3. I press F5, info icons for shortcut (little arrows) disappear (the same bug) and display is not changed (this may be by design).
3a. I navigate to another directory and back-> Everything is OK now.
Ok
Pierre.
Xyzzy

Post by Xyzzy »

fixed in rc1.

X.