Font not big enough

Ask for help and post your question on how to use XnView MP.

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

xnview
Author of XnView

Re: Font not big enough

Post by xnview »

'Show as>Thumbnails + labels'
Pierre.
user0
XnThusiast

Post by user0 »

anticipating further questions

Font settings from Appearance tab will affect the following 2 modes of 'Show as' dropdown (available in Browser mode):
show_as.png
show_as.png (5.2 KiB) Viewed 1429 times
The Electro Machine

Post by The Electro Machine »

Of what and from where should I take another screenshot?

I am asking because this
xnview wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 6:04 am 'Appearance' change font for Thumbnails mode not details
is either too complicated for my understanding of English language [of which I am not a native speaker] and my command of XnView is too low or it is your answer that has some ill factors in it
Last edited by The Electro Machine on Sat Apr 29, 2023 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
user0
XnThusiast

Post by user0 »

The Electro Machine wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 5:15 pm Of what and from where should I take another screenshot?

I am asking because this
xnview wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 6:04 am 'Appearance' change font for Thumbnails mode not details
is either too complicated for my understanding of English language [of which I am not a native speaker] and my command of XnView is too low or it is your answer that is has some ill factors in it
1. change font in Settings (Thnumbnail > Appearance tab)
2. open xnview in Browser mode
3. find 'Show as' icon from my message above
- press it
- change view from Details to Thumbnails + Filename
Arrowhead

Post by Arrowhead »

Why not allow users to simply change the UI font? For example, Texmaker has this option, and it seems to be using the same technology (judging by the OK and Cancel icons).
Attachments
texmaker.png
texmaker.png (30.51 KiB) Viewed 1371 times
B.Douille

Post by B.Douille »

@The Electro Machine Back to original question...
Is there a way to increase font size of listed files and folders?
Windows adapt the window size and the font size (in pixel) of all applications, based on both the resolution and the pixel density (in PPI) capability of the screen. This can be easily demonstrated by connecting 2 screens of same resolution but different size on a PC. Moving any application from screen 1 to screen 2 shows a change in between. As a result, the window of the app get the same size for your eyes, same for the text.
Having a deep look at the screenshot you sent I can only deduct you have either a very big screen or a couple of quite high resolution : Vertical 1440 or so and a screen ratio >2.28 (maybe Cinema 2). Sometime, having such a large screen may impact the readability of the text. It all depends on the PPI announced by your screen. It's not specific to XnView. Any application, even The calculator and the file explorer expose the same behaviour.

However, Windows offers a mean to adapt, optimise if not done automatically during the auto-setup of the screen. It's called the screen scaling factor and is available in the Parameters > System > Display. It appears automatically if you have a small-sized screen in FullHD (laptop). You have to force-click on the button if your FullHD screen is a desktop size.
Daniel, promoting XnView since 2004, moved to MP (exclusively) years ago (Platform Windows and Linux Ubuntu)
B.Douille

Post by B.Douille »

@Pierre However, where I agree with "The Electro Machine" is the font size of dialog windows in XnView.

Comparing the font size used to display the top menu, the name of the folders in the browser tree, the name of the informations in the detailed view, they are all consistent, whatever the screen and auto-adapt to it (thanks to Windows scaling feature :)
Opening the Settings dialog, the tree on the left has got the right size but the names of the folders on the top and all the text inside these folders are smaller, sometime difficult to read :( Same for the Image resize, Batch Convert, Print dialogs,... all.

Again I think this depends on screen size (not resolution). For example it happens on my laptop, it doesn't happens on my desktop. Maybe the font used in these dialog boxes doesn't support the scaling I mentioned in my previous reply.
Daniel, promoting XnView since 2004, moved to MP (exclusively) years ago (Platform Windows and Linux Ubuntu)
The Electro Machine

user0 wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 5:30 pm [...]
1. change font in Settings (Thnumbnail > Appearance tab)
2. open xnview in Browser mode
3. find 'Show as' icon from my message above
- press it
- change view from Details to Thumbnails + Filename
Arrowhead wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 11:23 pm Why not allow users to simply change the UI font?
So I can only utilize bigger font when using thumbnails and not when using view showing me a list of items with details?
The Electro Machine

I am using 38" monitor with aspect ratio of 21:9 resulting with 3840 x 1600 resolution and pixel density of 109 ppi / 43 ppcm

It the same monitor as my previous 34" 3440 x 1440, which I replaced for the purpose of getting bigger letters and more lines of data on one screen. [And I want to have 40" 4K for the same reasons, waiting for such with a panel made in a robust OLED technology]
B.Douille wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 7:08 pm [...]
having such a large screen may impact the readability of the text. It all depends on the PPI announced by your screen. It's not specific to XnView. Any application, even The calculator and the file explorer expose the same behaviour.

However, Windows offers a mean to adapt, optimise if not done automatically during the auto-setup of the screen
[...]
I have been using

Settings > System > Display > Scale and layouts > Change the size of text, apps, and other items > 150%

for years now, even back then on Windows 7 and that 1440p version

B.Douille wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 7:28 pm [...]
I think this depends on screen size (not resolution). For example it happens on my laptop, it doesn't happens on my desktop. Maybe the font used in these dialog boxes doesn't support the scaling I mentioned in my previous reply.
File-manager FreeCommander users are able to adjust separately size of font for file / folder names, address bar, status bar and probably also some other features I dot personally use; with menus and pop-up windows for various features using settings of Windows. And that 150% of mine affects all appearance of FreeCommander

While in file-locator Everything [by voidtools], in alpha version 1.5 [with enchanced GUI still being tested out], every text element of this program is adjustable as a whole and also on an element-by-element basis, giving its users complete control of data and controls readability in it

Thus it is possible to control [at least on Windows 10] appearance of file lists, bars, drop-down lists etc. in various programs - but XnView only has this ability for thumbnailed mode of view?
B.Douille

Post by B.Douille »

Can we keep focused on the pb with inconsistent font size so we can progress on this topic ?

See below samples, can you try to reproduce and confirm ?

- The texts within green squares looks well sized (name of the windows as reference)
- The texts within red circles looks either too small, unreadable or too big

On standard UHD display, the UI showing inconsistent font size (smaller)
Setup Dialog - Some fonts are too small (UHD 3840x2160).png
On extended UHD screen the UI may show inconsitent fonts (bigger this time)
Setup Dialog - Some fonts are too big (dual screen - screen 2 UHD).png
On standard HD display, showing inconsistent font size. Some of the fonts in the Batch Rename dialog may be a litle bigger
Batch Rename - Font sizes are inconsistent (HD 1920x1080).png
On standard UHD display, showing inconsistent font size. Some fonts in the Batch Rename dialog are too small, unreadable this time
Batch Rename - Font sizes are inconsistent (UHD 3840x2160).png

Once the source of this problem is found and fixed, we can see what happens with the use of bigger screens (hope this fix this as well :wink: )
Last edited by B.Douille on Wed May 10, 2023 11:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
B.Douille

Post by B.Douille »

I edited my previous post to make it more obvious, adding titles in the screenshots and highlighting the inconsistencies
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

Qt Framework has some problem with no integer font scaling like 125/150/175
Pierre.
B.Douille

Post by B.Douille »

Qt Framework has some problem with no integer font scaling like 125/150/175
Thanks Pierre. I though of such kind of issue. Any plan for this caveat to be fixed soon ?

edit: maybe some fonts are buggy, some others are not. A workarund would be to use those not affected :wink:
The Electro Machine

So for now when using 150% in Scale and layouts of Windows the issue with font sizes is to be expected?

All I am trying to do is to get bigger signs in those lines market with yellow

[thus, as a side effect, also less lines]
B.Douille

Post by B.Douille »

xnview wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 11:44 am Qt Framework has some problem with no integer font scaling like 125/150/175
I saw a big improvement with 1.5.2. At least with a standard HD screen the fonts are all on same size, consistent with Windows font (name of the window for example). I don't have access to other screens or TV, 4k or UHD right know but I believe there was a change as well, in improvement I hope.