encoding problem(jpeg2000)

Bugs found in XnView Classic. Please report only one bug per topic!

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

Jinny

encoding problem(jpeg2000)

Post by Jinny »

I encoded some png images(32-bit) but most of them were not converted.

I chose JPEG-2000 format.

I still don't get what's the problem.

I uploaded a png file which I failed to convert.

Is there anyone who knows why?

I have some png files(32-bit) and they are have to be encoded (jpeg2000).

Thank you
Attachments
K32bit_0003.png
K32bit_0003.png (2.7 KiB) Viewed 4332 times
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Re: encoding problem(jpeg2000)

Post by XnTriq »

There seems to be a bug in the OpenJPEG plug-in :bugconfirmed:

Workaround: Remove openjp2.dll from the Plugins sub-directory of your XnView installation and replace it with Xjp2.dll (JasPer).
Jinny

Post by Jinny »

Thanks, but I removed openjp2.dll from the Plugins and 'jpeg-2000 format' is also removed.

I want to convert pngs to jpeg-2000, not jpeg-2000 file format.

then what should I do?
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Post by XnTriq »

Jinny wrote:Thanks, but I removed openjp2.dll from the Plugins and 'jpeg-2000 format' is also removed.
Did you download jp2000.zip and extract Xjp2.dll into the Plugins sub-directory of your XnView installation?
Jinny wrote:I want to convert pngs to jpeg-2000, not jpeg-2000 file format.
When you restart XnView you should be able to convert your PNGs to JPEG 2000 file format and code stream.
  • File » Save As... » Save as type
    Tools » Batch Processing... » General » Output » Format
    • JP2 - JPEG-2000 JP2 File Format
    • JPC - JPEG-2000 Code Stream
Jinny

Post by Jinny »

I got it. So you mean 'jpeg 2000 file format' is the latest version of jp2 right?

Then I have to convert them all using that format, thanks. :)
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Post by XnTriq »

Jinny wrote:So you mean 'jpeg 2000 file format' is the latest version of jp2 right?
Sorry, I don't know. The file version of Xjp2.dll is 1.98.3, but I believe that refers to XnView.
cday
XnThusiast

Post by cday »

Information on the OpenJPEG plug-in can be found here:

http://www.openjpeg.org/

A listing of the versions available for download is given here:

http://code.google.com/p/openjpeg/wiki/WhatsNew?tm=6

It looks as if there may have been two or three updates since the version included with XnView, with the 'More info' and 'detailed view' links referring to numerous bug fixes.

We don't know why xnview decided to change to the openjpeg plug-in rather than continue with the Xjp2 plug-in.
Last edited by cday on Sat Jan 18, 2014 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Post by XnTriq »

As mentioned in one of my previous posts, the JasPer plug-in (Xjp2.dll) enables XnView to read & write JPEG-2000 File Format (.jp2) as well as JPEG-2000 Code Stream (.jpc) files.
Wikipedia (JPEG 2000 » [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JPEG_2000#File_format_and_code_stream]File format and code stream[/url]) wrote:Similar to JPEG-1, JPEG 2000 defines both a file format and a code stream. Whereas the latter entirely describes the image samples, the former includes additional meta-information such as the resolution of the image or the color space that has been used to encode the image. JPEG 2000 images should — if stored as files — be boxed in the JPEG 2000 file format, where they get the .jp2 extension. The part-2 extension to JPEG 2000, i.e., ISO/IEC 15444-2, also enriches this file format by including mechanisms for animation or composition of several code streams into one single image. Images in this extended file-format use the .jpx extension.

There is no standardized extension for code-stream data because code-stream data is not to be considered to be stored in files in the first place, though when done for testing purposes, the extension .jpc or .j2k appear frequently.
Michael Adams ([url=http://www.ece.uvic.ca/~frodo/jasper/index.html#doc]JasPer Software Reference Manual[/url] » Codecs) wrote:One of the two image formats specified in the JPEG-2000 Part-1 standard (i.e., ISO/IEC 15444-1) is the so called JPEG-2000 code stream format. The JPC codec in JasPer implements this format.
The design of the JPEG-2000 codec implementation was driven by several key concerns: execution speed, memory usage, robustness, portability, modularity, maintainability, and extensibility. In some cases, however, during the design process, modularity, portability, and understandability of the code were weighed more heavily than execution speed and memory usage. Code understandability and portability were critical considerations since this software was intended to be used as a reference implementation of the JPEG-2000 Part-1 codec in the JPEG-2000 Part-5 standard.
Since the JPEG-2000 standard does not specify any means for encoding color space information in a JPEG-2000 code stream, the decoder must make certain assupmtions about the color space of an image. If accurate color representation is important, the JPEG-2000 code stream format should not be employed. The JPEG-2000 JP2 format should be used instead.
If you open a JPEG-2000 file saved with Xjp2.dll in XnView and go Tools » View in Hex mode, you should see a comment: “Creator: JasPer Version 1.900.1”. According to the official website, this is the latest version of the JasPer codec library.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

cday wrote:We don't know why xnview decided to change to the openjpeg plug-in rather than continue with the Xjp2 plug-in.
Jasper is no more supported, it has a lot of security issue, and doesn't support all jpeg2k format...
Pierre.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

Ok, OpenJPEG seems to have problem for image < 64 pixels
Pierre.
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Post by XnTriq »

xnview wrote:
cday wrote:We don't know why xnview decided to change to the openjpeg plug-in rather than continue with the Xjp2 plug-in.
Jasper is no more supported, it has a lot of security issue, and doesn't support all jpeg2k format...
Secunia: Vulnerability Reports for JasPer 1.x :-|
cday
XnThusiast

Post by cday »

The latest Openjpeg 2.0.0 plug-in (dated 1/12/2012) is attached if anyone needs it:
openjpeg-2.0.0-win32-x86 dll.zip
(77.22 KiB) Downloaded 112 times
There doesn't seem to be a win64 version.

The pixel size limitation referred to above seems to be that the image length and width must both be at least 64px.

If it is necessary to encode smaller images the Jasper Xjp2 plug-in referred to above can used, although it has known security issues.
Xn User

Post by Xn User »

Please tell me where I can recive or download lwf_jp2.dll in 64 bit version ? This me very need. However wheen I asked this in this forum , I recive answer what now use only OpenJPEG , but why? In 32 bit version work old version lwf_jp2.dll , but wheere I can download 64 bit versino ?
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Post by XnTriq »

Xn User wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 10:08 am Please tell me where I can recive or download lwf_jp2.dll in 64 bit version ? This me very need. However wheen I asked this in this forum , I recive answer what now use only OpenJPEG , but why? In 32 bit version work old version lwf_jp2.dll , but wheere I can download 64 bit versino ?
The LuraWave JP2 plug-n (lwf_jp2.dll) was developed by LuraTech. LuraTech was acquired by Foxit Software in October of 2015.
xnview wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 4:09 pm
user100 wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:04 pmlow speed open JPEG 2000 files when using the plugin openjp2.dll.
When using the LuraWave plugin.jp2 Dll (lwf_jp2.dll was in older versions ) the speed is 2-4 times higher and less CPU usage.
Yes, but lurawave is an old plugin no more supported
cday
XnThusiast

Post by cday »

@Xn User:

In addition to XnTriq's answer above, if you must run the 32-bit plug-in on a Windows 64-bit computer, you should be able to install the XnView MP 32-bit version as well as the 64-bit version, and then use either or both as you wish... :D