Automate XnView in Starting different Slide shows

Ask for help and post your question on how to use XnView Classic.

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

BoLzI

Automate XnView in Starting different Slide shows

Post by BoLzI »

Hello,

i need a standalone XnView which is controlled by the command line or with VisualBasic.

Now i must know, if i can start XnView by parameters so that it starts automaticly a Diashow from a specified directory, which i tell him at the start.

Is there any possibility to make this work, i think starting the diashow isn't such complex, because i can tell him this in the Options, but how can i tell him the directory at start time or can i tell him the directory when XnView is open with a script?

Thx for help, kind regards,

BoLzI
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: Automate XnView in Starting different Diashows

Post by xnview »

BoLzI wrote:Hello,

i need a standalone XnView which is controlled by the command line or with VisualBasic.

Now i must know, if i can start XnView by parameters so that it starts automaticly a Diashow from a specified directory, which i tell him at the start.

Is there any possibility to make this work, i think starting the diashow isn't such complex, because i can tell him this in the Options, but how can i tell him the directory at start time or can i tell him the directory when XnView is open with a script?
You can write a .sld file and start xnview with -slide parameter.
Pierre.
helmut

Re: Automate XnView in Starting different Diashows

Post by helmut »

xnview wrote:You can write a .sld file and start xnview with -sld parameter.
Yes, writing a temporary slide file (.sld) and starting XnView will do the job. Let me know here if a VB source sample is wanted.
ATH

Post by ATH »

Hello,

What is a .sld file ? How does it work ?
I have the same needs than BoLzI : I'd like some standalone diashow using picts that are grouped in one folder.

Thanks for you explanations !

ATH
ATH

Post by ATH »

Ok, I got the answer from XnView by asking for some slideshow, so now I have the .sld file structure.
:wink:
helmut

Post by helmut »

ATH wrote:What is a .sld file ? How does it work ?
A .sld file is a text file which basically consists of some slide show options and the list of files to be displayed.

A Sample:

Code: Select all

# Slide Show Sequence
Timer = 5
Loop = 1
FullScreen = 1
TitleBar = 0
View = 1
CenterWindow = 1
ReadErrors = 1
HideMouse = 0
RandomOrder = 0
ShowFilename = 1
BackgroundColor = 0
"D:\My Images\Crocodile.jpg"
"D:\My Images\Elefant.bmp"
"D:\My Images\Eagle.jpeg"
"D:\My Images\Karibou.png"
Once you have created a slide show and want to use it again, later, you save it by clicking the "Save" button in the dialog "Slide show".
Later, you can load it by opening the slide show dialog and then clicking on "Open" button.

If you want to start XnView and display a slide show, you will use the command line option, e.g.

Code: Select all

xnview -slide "my exciting two hour slide show.sld"
As written above, the slide file is a simple text file, so you can use write a Perl script, VB or JAVA program for example which creates a .sld file and then starts XnView.
mysterix

Re: Automate XnView in Starting different Slide shows

Post by mysterix »

Can I somehow make complicated slideshows with different timer for each photo by editing .sld file?
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: Automate XnView in Starting different Slide shows

Post by xnview »

mysterix wrote:Can I somehow make complicated slideshows with different timer for each photo by editing .sld file?
no sorry, the delay is global
Pierre.