Reversed water stamp

XnConvert Multi Platform - Windows, MacOSX, Linux

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

MWI

Reversed water stamp

Post by MWI »

Hi,
I would like to batch process by adding a background to a bunch of images with transparent background.
Is there a way to reverse the water stamp so that the water stamp ends up behind the images?
Or is there another way of solving this process?

Best regards
Mattias
cday
XnThusiast

Re: Reversed water stamp

Post by cday »

MWI wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:40 am I would like to batch process by adding a background to a bunch of images with transparent background.
Isn't that the normal watermark process, where the image with transparency is at the front?

Is there a way to reverse the water stamp so that the water stamp ends up behind the images?
I don't understand, then the watermark image with transparency would be entirely hidden by the other image, wouldn't it?

If necessary, could you could upload two example images and describe the result you need?

Or is there another way of solving this process?
Maybe... :wink:
MWI

Post by MWI »

I will try to explain my problem better;)
If I have rendered different versions of a chair with different colors etc and with transparent background.
Can I then use xnconvert to put in the same background to all of them?

M
cday
XnThusiast

Post by cday »

MWI wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:14 am I have rendered different versions of a chair with different colors etc and with a transparent background.

Can I use xnconvert to put in the same background to all of them?
I see the problem, in effect the watermark image changes for each required output image, so the normal XnConvert watermark batch conversion couldn't be used. You could only process one image at a time... :(

Possibly there might be a workaround, but I don't immediately see one, and I don't have the time at the moment to try to think of one. An interesting challenge, though!

One possible solution, not easy unless you have good command line experience, might be to use NConvert in a script that changes the watermark file for each copy of the background file.

Otherwise, you probably need to use a software that supports layers and also batch processing if you have many images to process.

Edit:

Suppose you remove the transparency in the images -- convert to 24-bit for example -- that would give a background colour, I'm not sure which colour or whether it could be selected??

Edit:

Looking at the 'Change colour depth' action it looks as if you might be able to select any desired colour as background if you reduce from 32-bit to 24-bit depth... :D :?:
MWI

Post by MWI »

Hmm,
I have tried to mask out the chair by rendering a alpha channel and then use the mask action but with no good result.
It should be great and easy to just have an option if the watermark shall be in the foreground or background.
Working with script have I no experience of unfortunately.

Well, I love XnConvert but this is really a function that I really miss:(
cday
XnThusiast

Post by cday »

I'm still slightly confused, you want the chair to be visible against a coloured background?

Are you able to upload an example chair image (or other example image) and indicate the background you want?
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Post by XnTriq »

MWI

Post by MWI »

Thanks XnTriq
That is exactly what I'm after:)
I need to apply different watermark images to the same background image.

I will read your links and see If there is something for me. Otherwise I guess I need to make masks in Gimp.
Hoverer that is not a preferred process as I need to do this from time and then processing thousand of images:(
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Post by XnTriq »

I support this request:
MWI wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 1:17 pmIt should be great and easy to just have an option if the watermark shall be in the foreground or background.
Welcome to the forum, BTW (-:
MWI

Post by MWI »

Thanks XnTriq:)
Yes, It would be great function in a great software.
I hope for the best and work with my masks in the meantime:(
cday
XnThusiast

Post by cday »

XnTriq wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:31 pm I support this request:
MWI wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 1:17 pmIt should be great and easy to just have an option if the watermark shall be in the foreground or background.
I have some difficulty with the terminology used here, although there is evidently some need for a seemingly novel function:

A 'watermark' as the term is normally used has transparency, and is placed in front of another image; in batch processing the same watermark image is placed in front of multiple images.

The request is to be able to place an image behind another image: that image will only be visible if the front image has transparency, so describing the image placed behind as a watermark seems inappropriate. And in batch processing the need is to place the same background image behind multiple foreground images that have transparency, the opposite of the usual watermarking function.

The new action might be better termed 'Place background behind image' or something similar, otherwise it is likely to cause confusion. It will be understood that the foreground image must normally have transparency, otherwise the function would have no obvious use.
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Post by XnTriq »

MWI wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:16 pmI hope for the best and work with my masks in the meantime:(

cday wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:22 pmThe new action might be better termed 'Place background behind image' or something similar, otherwise it is likely to cause confusion. It will be understood that the foreground image must normally have transparency, otherwise the function would have no obvious use.
Yes, a dedicated action for merging/blending would even be better.
MWI

Post by MWI »

Hi,
Long time but still a highly wanted function for me:)
Is there any plans for a function like " "Place background behind image"
Will soon start doing 1 million renders for a web configurator and are planing the process.
Using this function could rely speed up the time for us building the pics library:)

M