How to install a beta version

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

mrwul

How to install a beta version

Post by mrwul »

I have an installed XnViewMP x64
and would like to check whether the beta solved a case that I submitted.

Normally I don't use a beta: I wait for the final release, but in this case I would like to check it out.

It would be nice if the beta includes a document/text file telling me how to install it.
It does not come with the usual installer.

If I double click a image file, it will launch the 'installed' (non-beta) version.

How to proceed?
Should I simply copy over all files, i.e. from the 'beta zip extracted-folder' over the 'XnViewMP final version-folder', or what?

Thanks.
cday
XnThusiast

Re: How to install a beta version

Post by cday »

mrwul wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:48 am I have an installed XnViewMP x64
and would like to check whether the beta solved a case that I submitted.

Normally I don't use a beta: I wait for the final release, but in this case I would like to check it out.

It would be nice if the beta includes a document/text file telling me how to install it.
It does not come with the usual installer.

If I double click a image file, it will launch the 'installed' (non-beta) version.

How to proceed?
Should I simply copy over all files, i.e. from the 'beta zip extracted-folder' over the 'XnViewMP final version-folder', or what?

You probably want to leave the existing version installed and run the ZIP download independently, don't you?

In that case, place the extracted folder anywhere convenient and then open it, find the xnview.exe file and then create a shortcut that you can use to launch the program. You can then open files from File > Open... or launch them from the browser.

At a detailed level, it might be as well in Tools > Settings > Integration -- Paths tab to set all paths to Program (XnView) to ensure that operation is independent of your installed version.
cday
XnThusiast

Post by cday »

Were the above instructions helpful, can you or anyone else provide any useful comment on them?
mrwul

Post by mrwul »

cday wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:52 am Were the above instructions helpful, can you or anyone else provide any useful comment on them?
Sorry for not being able to reply earlier.

Many Thanks for your explanation.
Frankly I was not aware it XnViewMP beta could be run without being installed.
(I didn't try it, to be honest).

Matter is solved. Thanks again!
cday
XnThusiast

Post by cday »

The method above is how I, not knowing any better, have been using ZIP versions, I don't know how other people use them, so comments from others still welcome... :wink: