XnView MP does not "see" all pictures with an added IPTC keyword

Ask for help and post your question on how to use XnView MP.

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

KLE-France

XnView MP does not "see" all pictures with an added IPTC keyword

Post by KLE-France »

Hi all,
By definition, we all come to the forums when we have a problem. But before that (because I do have one), thanks to you all for what is overall one of the finest image viewers/managers out there! Every great once in a while, I'll try out something different, and, no-no-no, back to XnView for me.

But yes, my problem:
I'm currently using the "Edit IPTC-IIM/XMP" function to add keywords to my photos.
In all photos, the added keywords appear in the "IPTC-IIM" tab under "Keywords & Categories".
All of the keywords are added as expected to the "Categories Filter" tab.
However, and here's the problem: Not all of the photos with any particular keyword show up in the categories filter.
For example, I have a good hundred or so photos keyworded with "Family", but only 10 show up in that filter.
The photos that do show up, have the little yellow flaggy-majig icon on the thumbnail, and those that don't show up do not.
This is true for nearly all of the keywords; there's maybe only one or two that appear complete.
All photos are jpegs.
Any ideas as to what's going on here, and on how to fix it?
Thanks in advance!
KLE
michel038
XnThusiast

Re: XnView MP does not "see" all pictures with an added IPTC keyword

Post by michel038 »

It seems that database is not up to date...
Did you move or rename folders or photos with another browser?
KLE-France

Post by KLE-France »

Hi michel038,

No, I haven't moved any photos around--at least not recently, not since I started adding keywords. I surely have in the past, to organize, post-process etc.,

I indeed suspect either some database issue, or perhaps some issue specific to certain (most!) files...

Is there some way to update the database? I looked around the program for an "update database" button, but, if it's there, I didn't find it.

Thanks in advance for any other ideas or info you may have

KLE
michel038
XnThusiast

Post by michel038 »

Go to : Settings, Metadata, and mark "import xmp subject or iptc keywords to db categories" option.

Many ways to update database (=catalog) :
-for a few photos, select them and click "View, Update catalog from files"
-for a few folders, go to settings, catalog, delete lines containing these folders, and then, use "add folders" button. Before, you could enable "check integrity of catalog" option in this pane and restart xnviewmp. I didn't study "optimize" button, perhaps this could repair catalog also.

-for a lot of photos, you can completely renew database : (when keywords are written in iptc or xmp metadata)
- to be able to "work" in categories pane, you must select some photos.

1) Backup categories in a text file (small arrow below "Categories" title bar: categories management ...)
2) Backup "File's-categories" in a xml file (File's categories menu at the same place)
3) delete all categories ( "clear all" )
4) close xnviewmp, rename xnview.db as xnview.db.old , restart. Delete default categories except one, if they came back and if you don't need them.
5) import categories (text file). If you cannot, create one category, and then import categories. Categories can also be automatically created with existing keywords when folders will be browsed, but sometimes not so clean.
6) check (verify) all options in settings, metadata ( import xmp subject or iptc keywords to db categories , and un-mark "export ..." )
7) go to settings, catalog, and use "add folder" button with the root directory that contains all your photos.
This will take about one hour for 50000 photos.
8 ) restore the export option metadata ( un-mark "import" and mark "export" )

En français, consultez le tuto dont le lien est dans ma signature ...
KLE-France

Post by KLE-France »

Thanks again michel038.

In between my last post last night and your post this morning, I found this post: https://newsgroup.xnview.com/viewtopic.php?t=32401, and particularly CameronD's comment, where he advised, like you, to select all photos in a file (Ctrl+A) "then View->Update catalog from files to force a refresh." That indeed works for me, since I basically have a file per year, so there's not that many of them.

So, yes, a bit laborious, but it works!

Merci beaucoup et bonne fin de journée!
KLE