Keep folders sorted alphabetically

Older bugs which are supposed to be fixed in 0.84. *** Please try to reproduce your bug and confirm the bug fix. ***

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview, Dreamer

Foxyrick

Keep folders sorted alphabetically

Post by Foxyrick »

When I change the sort order of thumbnails in the browser, it would be very useful not to sort the folders by the same criterion, but just keep them sorted alphabetically at the top.

A tick box somewhere in the settings could be used to make the folder sort order 'fixed' at alphabetical regardless of the thumbnail order selected.
helmut

Re: Keep folders sorted alphabetically

Post by helmut »

+1 (makes much sense)

This new setting should be active by default, i.e. folders are sorted alphabetically always.. "Name" and "Name (Numeric)" might also affect folders, but all other sort orders shouldn't unless this new settings is unchecked.)
Foxyrick

Post by Foxyrick »

Still waiting for this... it's the only thing that stops me using XnView MP as my main photo manager.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

Foxyrick wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:45 pm Still waiting for this... it's the only thing that stops me using XnView MP as my main photo manager.
which sort do you use? folders are sorted alphabetically
Pierre.
Foxyrick

Post by Foxyrick »

xnview wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 4:27 pm which sort do you use? folders are sorted alphabetically
I most often use date sort, so the earliest files are at the top and most recent at the bottom (occasionally vice versa).

When I do that, the folders sort in the same order which makes it hard to navigate them from that window. It would be better if the folders could, by way of a settings option, be made to always sort alphabetically. Sorting them in the same way as files rarely makes any sense.

There are a few other viewers and managers I use and all of them have that option. I prefer XnView MP though, over all the graphics managers, except for this one constant irritation.

ETA: I keep checking, every update, to see if it has been added yet ;-)
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

Foxyrick wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:48 am I most often use date sort, so the earliest files are at the top and most recent at the bottom (occasionally vice versa).
ok, right it will be changed
Pierre.
Foxyrick

Post by Foxyrick »

I'll look forward to it, thank you.

Just to be totally clear:

The folders should remain sorted in A-Z alphabetical order at the top of the thumbnails, regardless of what sort method and order is selected for the thumbnails.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

See issue for current status and some details.
Pierre.
Foxyrick

Post by Foxyrick »

That's excellent news, thank you. I look forward to the release.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

This problem is supposed to be fixed in XnView MP 0.94. Please check and confirm the bug fix here.
Pierre.