does xnViewMP have an error log?

Ask for help and post your question on how to use XnView MP.

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

limar500

does xnViewMP have an error log?

Post by limar500 »

every now and then, xnViewMP freezes, because unresponsive and the only way to close it is to to close it'a process under "Task Manager".
I would like to know what causes it to crash, is there some kind of error log I can take a look at in order to find out?
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: does xnViewMP have an error log?

Post by xnview »

on every folder? at startup?
Pierre.
limar500

Post by limar500 »

xnview wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:54 am on every folder? at startup?
at some folders, I can't remember which
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

if you have the problem, please try to find the file problem?
Pierre.
limar500

Post by limar500 »

xnview wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:04 am if you have the problem, please try to find the file problem?
after a lot of trial and error I found the problem:
when I'm in a thumbnail view - for some videos, the process of creating a thumbnail for that video gets stuck (the process bars gets stuck on %76 or where ever it comes across that file)... the process goes on forever until xnviewmp turns unresponsive and I no choice but to shutdown the process in the "Task manager".

if I delete or move the file from the folder - xnviewmp goes all the way to 100% and everything is fine.
of course if I switch to different view that doesn't require thumbnails there is no problem as well.

the video itself plays find in xnviewmp and in any video player, so I have no indication as to what is wrong with the video file or xnviewmp can't succeed in creating a thumbnail for it.

what can be done?
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

limar500 wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:58 am what can be done?
Is it possible to send me the video file? You can disable thumbnails for video file
Pierre.
limar500

Post by limar500 »

xnview wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:14 pm
limar500 wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:58 am what can be done?
Is it possible to send me the video file? You can disable thumbnails for video file
can I disable thumbnail creation for a certain, specific video file?
Tehbotol

Post by Tehbotol »

hi i'm also the one that affected by the bug, and currently in communication with the dev, and the dev is trying to fix it
seems it's related to short duration video that cause xnview mp unable to make the thumbnail

for now what i notice helps is disabling the 4 thumbnails option (uncheck it) in Settings - Thumbnail - Show 4 thumbnails
which should reduce the hang up to minimum (from 3 video i sent to the dev, 2 managed to be browsed without any issue with 1 thumbnails mode)

also if you like maybe just move the video that have issue to another folder first (you can find the problematic video by looking at the xnview browse and find the first one that doesn't have thumbnail) or you can also disable the thumbnails creation for video in the settings
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

limar500 wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:34 pm can I disable thumbnail creation for a certain, specific video file?
you can in settings>Filelist>exclude
Pierre.
GeF

Post by GeF »

Tehbotol wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:24 pm hi i'm also the one that affected by the bug, and currently in communication with the dev, and the dev is trying to fix it
seems it's related to short duration video that cause xnview mp unable to make the thumbnail

for now what i notice helps is disabling the 4 thumbnails option (uncheck it) in Settings - Thumbnail - Show 4 thumbnails
which should reduce the hang up to minimum (from 3 video i sent to the dev, 2 managed to be browsed without any issue with 1 thumbnails mode)

also if you like maybe just move the video that have issue to another folder first (you can find the problematic video by looking at the xnview browse and find the first one that doesn't have thumbnail) or you can also disable the thumbnails creation for video in the settings
This fixed my problem, disabling the 4 thumbnails for videos. I've been going nuts because half of my folders would not load correctly and freeze during scanning for no discernable reason.

Thanks
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

GeF wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:32 am This fixed my problem, disabling the 4 thumbnails for videos. I've been going nuts because half of my folders would not load correctly and freeze during scanning for no discernable reason.
please, send me some video files with the problem?
Pierre.
Tehbotol

Post by Tehbotol »

also could someone here test this videos and see if it make xnview mp deadlock/hang
since it cause xnview mp to hang on my pc but not on the dev pc

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1S9K5Ko ... sp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1O2ODIy ... sp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1f1n4ZD ... sp=sharing

please separate the video to 3 folder and try to browse one by one in xnview mp
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

Pierre.
MartinP

Post by MartinP »

I too have those freezes on some video files - as read here it looks like it is working on 0.94 beta 1 - well I really would love to try it
MartinP

Post by MartinP »

Update: I just found in another thread here to change the xnview.ini and set useInternalVideoPlayer=false

Now it is not freezing anymore for problem videos, it is just not creating thumbnails - but that's better than freezing anyway...