Mouse control: No grab hand and difference between platforms

Ideas for improvements and requests for new features in XnView MP

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

helmut

Mouse control: No grab hand and difference between platforms

Post by helmut »

Currently, the default behaviour of XnView MP 0.56 and XnView Classic differ regarding the mouse control:

XnView Classic:
- Mouse wheel: Zoom in/out
- Ctrl+Mouse wheel: No action
- Left mouse button: Select area
- Right mouse button: Grab image for moving

XnView MP 0.56:
- Mouse wheel: Navigate previous/next image
- Ctrl+Mouse wheel: Zoom in/out
- Left mouse button: Select area
- Right mouse button: Select area

No grabbing for moving image
The missing grabbing to move the zoomed image around is really a big lack in functionality and should be added soon. Or did I miss something?

Unify XnView Classic and XnView MP
The above mouse support of XnView Classic might not be standard (e.g. Ctrl + Mouse wheel zooms in most applications whereas in XnView Classic it does nothing), but I'm very much used to this behaviour. And I guess other users are also used to this behaviour. O.k., users (including me) can learn and get used to a new behaviour, but currently XnView Classic and XnView MP differ which makes switching between the two applications confusing and more difficult than needed.
I'd suggest:
a.) Discuss and find a useful and handy default mouse behaviour
b.) Change both XnView Classic and XnView MP to that default mouse behaviour and thus unify mouse behaviour.
oops66
XnThusiast

Re: Mouse control: No grab hand and difference between platf

Post by oops66 »

Hello,
...+1, ...Yes, maybe it's the time of an harmonization (labels, mouse ctrl, etc...) during this beta stage ???

XnView(MP) menus need to be "standardized"/simplified too:
http://newsgroup.xnview.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=28143
XnViewMP Linux X64 - Debian - X64
budz45
XnThusiast

Post by budz45 »

Hi helmut,

Well yes I agree with you somewhat.

In XnViewMP I always have enabled the 'Right mouse button' for grabbing (Pan) of pictures

Regarding the default behaviour of the 'Mouse wheel' - I think Pierre went for the IrfanView approach of having the mouse wheel navigate through pictures instead of zoom in/out because maybe he found a consensus of users that preferred this approach. Personally I prefer the default mouse wheel for Zooming. Thankfully all of this is customizable within XnViewMP.
helmut wrote: No grabbing for moving image
The missing grabbing to move the zoomed image around is really a big lack in functionality and should be added soon. Or did I miss something?
Well yes you can enable that, I have these set as these: (XnViewMP 0.56 --> settings>keyboard/mouse)
Right button = Move picture
Right button + CTRL = Move picture

This is why the configuration model in XnViewMP is so much more better and updated than in XnView Classic :)
All My Topics || my 'MP' Topics
My own Bookmarked topics--->for me only
helmut

Post by helmut »

Thank you, oops66 and budz45 for your support and feedback in this matter! With the right settings in XnView MP this works like a charm. :-)

I don't mind if the default behaviour of XnView is changed. But it should be well thought through beforehand and then it should be changed in in both XnView MP and XnView classic at about the same time.
sunnyimran

Re: Mouse control: No grab hand and difference between platforms

Post by sunnyimran »

I need am trying to find same functionality in xnviewMP 0.93 !

Please someone tell me how can I configure such that for Panning larger images I have to just move mouse and image moves accordingly. I have seen such functionality in other viewers.

waiting