Rotate TIFF : Export Exif Data : Import RAW

Ask for help and post your question on how to use XnView Classic.

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

mikeincousa

Rotate TIFF : Export Exif Data : Import RAW

Post by mikeincousa »

Brand new. Not much experience with sophisticated digital photography yet.

What I am trying to do it archive 8.5 x 11 documents, some typed with most handwritten on school notebook paper. The lot is somewhere upwards of 5,000 pages. Some go way back and are very faded. They will need photo restoration techniques. I have a basic knowledge of GIMP and I am starting to learn how to import RAW images into that app.

FYI I am using a generation or two back Canon (a gift from a friend for this project).
I have it set on a tripod head: it is on a solid copy stand that I made from an old 5x7 enlarger many years ago. I have lights about 45 degree on either side of the copy board just below the camera. I think I have all the mechanical and exposure bugs worked out, but suggestions will be very welcome.

I need the highest resolution practically possible.

I am stuck already on the Subject Line topics.

I made a Tiff image with my older Sony camera as a test. I wanted to get the width x height dimensions for reference. I tried to rotate the image but I could not get that to happen. Will TIFF rotate in this app? Or is it only JPEG that can be rotated?

I wanted to post some of the data here but I cannot figure out how to export it to a file or clipboard. (Windows 10 btw.)

Thanks for any comments and guidance.

From the high mountains of Southern Colorado USA.

Michael.
cday
XnThusiast

Re: Rotate TIFF : Export Exif Data : Import RAW

Post by cday »

mikeincousa wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:03 am Brand new. Not much experience with sophisticated digital photography yet.

What I am trying to do it archive 8.5 x 11 documents, some typed with most handwritten on school notebook paper. The lot is somewhere upwards of 5,000 pages. Some go way back and are very faded. They will need photo restoration techniques. I have a basic knowledge of GIMP and I am starting to learn how to import RAW images into that app.

FYI I am using a generation or two back Canon (a gift from a friend for this project).
I have it set on a tripod head: it is on a solid copy stand that I made from an old 5x7 enlarger many years ago. I have lights about 45 degree on either side of the copy board just below the camera. I think I have all the mechanical and exposure bugs worked out, but suggestions will be very welcome.

I need the highest resolution practically possible.

You seem to have made a good start, you may possibly find the following website DIYBookScanner.org and the related forum a useful resource, if you haven't already discover it.

I am stuck already on the Subject Line topics.

I made a Tiff image with my older Sony camera as a test. I wanted to get the width x height dimensions for reference. I tried to rotate the image but I could not get that to happen. Will TIFF rotate in this app? Or is it only JPEG that can be rotated?

In the editor you can rotate any image that can be opened and then save the resulting image, or are you possibly referring to rotation using the file's EXIF data?

I wanted to post some of the data here but I cannot figure out how to export it to a file or clipboard. (Windows 10 btw.)

Could you elaborate on what you mean?
mikeincousa

Re: Rotate TIFF : Export Exif Data : Import RAW

Post by mikeincousa »

Thanks for your replies.

The Books Scanner looks to be clever and interesting.
I managed to open the tiff file and rotate it from the menu.
Yes I was referring to what you call "EXIF" data.

I was right clicking on my image then going to the bottom of that menu to "Properties"
i also tried >Edit> Properties but still could figure out how to export the data.

When I tired clicking on one item in the data then I discovered the "copy all items."

All is well.

Thanks again for your guidance.

I should be able to start exploring the app in more depth now.