Program crashes when moving first file

Bugs found in XnView Classic. Please report only one bug per topic!

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

uzernaam

Re: Program crashes when moving first file

Post by uzernaam »

By clean .ini, do you mean the default program configuration after install?

Just uninstall xnview with revo uninstaller, also removed all files left behind and registry entries, then reinstalled.

No, it won't do it now. But the interface is very much not to my liking in default. For example, I turn off all caches because my work folders are huge and have thousands of images in them, and though a cache would ostensibly speed up the loading of thumbnails, it also gets bogged down with too many images and changes in folders. I prefer to just have the program load the folder directly without it having to mess around with caches.

Anyway, I'm still using xnview and watching it crash 10, 20, 30 times a day. Very frustrating. Otherwise it's a great program.
cday
XnThusiast

Post by cday »

uzernaam wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:31 pm By clean .ini, do you mean the default program configuration after install?

Just uninstall xnview with revo uninstaller, also removed all files left behind and registry entries, then reinstalled.

No, it won't do it now. But the interface is very much not to my liking in default. For example, I turn off all caches because my work folders are huge and have thousands of images in them, and though a cache would ostensibly speed up the loading of thumbnails, it also gets bogged down with too many images and changes in folders. I prefer to just have the program load the folder directly without it having to mess around with caches.

Anyway, I'm still using xnview and watching it crash 10, 20, 30 times a day. Very frustrating. Otherwise it's a great program.

There is an option Tools > Options... > Browser > Thumbnails -- Cache tab - Enable caching where caching can be turned off, might that setting be what you need, or do I misunderstand?
uzernaam

Post by uzernaam »

cday wrote: There is an option Tools > Options... > Browser > Thumbnails -- Cache tab - Enable caching where caching can be turned off, might that setting be what you need, or do I misunderstand?

I am NOT looking for cache settings. I've tried it with and without a cache. xnview always crashes when I move the first file. I have to wait anywhere from 30 to 300 seconds before I can close the program and open it again.

Here I am literally years later and the problem still exists. Xnview crashes when I move the first thumbnail. Always. Every time. Has been happening to me for years on every computer I've tried it on.

ALSO - so many people say this is a great program but I've never liked it. Another problem I have with it is that it literally TURNS MY MONITOR OFF every time I turn on video thumbnails, click on a video thumbnail, or try to open it. The power button on my monitor turns off, then I have to hit escape to stop the video, hit the power button manually, wait 10 seconds, hit it manually again before the TV will turn back on again. Then I have to close xnview for my monitor to stay on.

If it didn't do 2 things right, I wouldn't use this program at all.
uzernaam

Post by uzernaam »

So I'm not sure why I'm not getting any responses in this forum. I've only been asking why for 3 years...

When I move the first file in a thumbnail list, the program crashes.

Seriously... NOBODY can reproduce this? It has ALWAYS happened for me going back so many years I lost count.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

uzernaam wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 1:55 pm Seriously... NOBODY can reproduce this? It has ALWAYS happened for me going back so many years I lost count.
If you have a folder with 2 jpegs, start xnview, open the first one, move it with 'move to' dialog, and crash?
Pierre.