Mac: Completely remove XnView MP and its settings?

Ask for help and post your question on how to use XnView MP.

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

Henry-In-Florida

Mac: Completely remove XnView MP and its settings?

Post by Henry-In-Florida »

I'd like to completely remove the old version and all related files, to start clean with 0.93. How can this be accomplished on the 0.92 Mac installed version?

It seems these days, that almost every app has specific settings files that aren't contained in its own resources files inside the app as they used to be years ago. Maybe it's the OS that forces files to live elsewhere I don't know, but the cruft that builds up is truly boggling my mind. So, now, just make it a practice to clean it up when deleting a program or even updating it (in case the developers doesn't delete the cruft along with installing new files), each time. :(

I have several operational reasons other than the above drive space preservation reasons in XnViewMP specifically:
  1. Do not have saved if even possible all the settings (globally) that I modified from the startup version and want to start over. I know where my database is (selected in settings myself) but not the various settings I modified along the way.
  2. Many of the settings are not working as expected and as shown in the various videos.
  3. The program is too deep in several aspects and the defaults may work as they are for the minimal tasks that I can used right away.
  4. There are database errors which crept in while 'playing' with the previous version I hope to prove to be simply over using the previous versions.
Thanks,
Henry
- -
Henry-In-Florida

Computer Equipment: MacBook Pro 2017 Touch Bar, 8GB RAM, Mojave (10.14.2), 250GB Internal SSD; on a Desktop with Dual Dell External Displays
External Storage: SSD RAID 1.5TB, 500GB SSD (via T3)
XnViewMP 0.93
cday
XnThusiast

Re: XnView MP for Beginners

Post by cday »

Henry-In-Florida wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:31 pm I'd like to completely remove the old version and all related files, to start clean with 0.93. How can this be accomplished on the 0.92 Mac installed version?

It seems these days, that almost every app has specific settings files that aren't contained in its own resources files inside the app as they used to be years ago. Maybe it's the OS that forces files to live elsewhere I don't know, but the cruft that builds up is truly boggling my mind. So, now, just make it a practice to clean it up when deleting a program or even updating it (in case the developers doesn't delete the cruft along with installing new files), each time. :(

I have several operational reasons other than the above drive space preservation reasons in XnViewMP specifically:
  1. Do not have saved if even possible all the settings (globally) that I modified from the startup version and want to start over. I know where my database is (selected in settings myself) but not the various settings I modified along the way.
  2. Many of the settings are not working as expected and as shown in the various videos.
  3. The program is too deep in several aspects and the defaults may work as they are for the minimal tasks that I can used right away.
  4. There are database errors which crept in while 'playing' with the previous version I hope to prove to be simply over using the previous versions.

The location of the various settings should be shown in Tools > Settings... > Integration -- Paths tab :D
Henry-In-Florida

Re: XnView MP for Beginners

Post by Henry-In-Florida »

cday wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 3:56 pm
Henry-In-Florida wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:31 pm I'd like to completely remove the old version and all related files, to start clean with 0.93. How can this be accomplished on the 0.92 Mac installed version?

[/list]
The location of the various settings should be shown in Tools > Settings... > Integration -- Paths tab :D
Yes, cday.

Was able to find and delete the necessary files manually in order to start over AND clean my drive of cruft from XnView. There should be an easier way (my suggestion to Pierre, et al). I started over with a new version - 0.93 after a little delay. There is less freezing but several of the anomalies of 0.92 are still with me:
  • Multi-monitor operation doesn't revert to single monitor after turning off.
  • No quick and easy means of enabling/disabling the feature on screen or as a keyboard shortcut (since you guys like shortcuts so much, at least a way of building that up should be available).
  • Similar for Fullscreen operation. Worse in this case there are two things to do ENABLE Full screen and USE full screen. At least that's how it seems still.
Henry
- -
Henry-In-Florida

Computer Equipment: MacBook Pro 2017 Touch Bar, 8GB RAM, Mojave (10.14.2), 250GB Internal SSD; on a Desktop with Dual Dell External Displays
External Storage: SSD RAID 1.5TB, 500GB SSD (via T3)
XnViewMP 0.93