0.92: XnViewMP not showing webp images when opened from Windows Explorer

*** Please report new bugs here! ***

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview, Dreamer

anonymous_user

0.92: XnViewMP not showing webp images when opened from Windows Explorer

Post by anonymous_user »

XnView: MP 0.92 - 64 bit

If I try opening a webp file from with Windows Explorer, XnViewMP will open up with a blank view and no image. However if I use the XnViewMP browser, I can go to the webp file and it will open just fine that way.

Effect: image not shown

To reproduce:
1. Set XnViewMP as default application for webp files
2. Open Windows Explorer and open a webp file

Actual behaviour (bug): XnViewMP opens but doesn't show the image

Expected behaviour: XnViewMP should show the image
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: 0.92: XnViewMP not showing webp images when opened from Windows Explorer

Post by xnview »

i can't reproduce, please check the registry association?
Pierre.
anonymous_user

Post by anonymous_user »

How do I check the registry association? I already tried settings another app as default and then changing back to XnViewMP but it didn't help.

Also I tried deleting my config files so XnViewMP would be at default settings but that didn't help either.

Thankfully .webp files are not extremely common so this isn't a huge deal for me.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

if you drag&drop a .webp on XnView MP's icon, it works?
Pierre.
anonymous_user

Post by anonymous_user »

Yes if I drag and drop a webp file onto the XnViewMP window or shortcut then it opens fine.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

so it seems that entry for .webp in registry has a problem
Pierre.
gendalf

Post by gendalf »

I'm having the same issue (MP 0.92 & 0.93) it can open .webp from xnview browser and has thumbnails, but can't from double clicking the files in windows explorer (it just opens the xnview browser in default folder).

btw how to add webp thumbnails to windows explorer?
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

gendalf wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:28 pm I'm having the same issue (MP 0.92 & 0.93) it can open .webp from xnview browser and has thumbnails, but can't from double clicking the files in windows explorer (it just opens the xnview browser in default folder).

Please check the .webp entry in registry?
Pierre.
gendalf

Post by gendalf »

I'm not sure what am I looking for in there, give me an example of how should it look like and which key to look for or maybe as a .reg file.
the files do claim to be associated with xnviemp in their info window.
voltius

Post by voltius »

xnview wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:45 am
gendalf wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:28 pm I'm having the same issue (MP 0.92 & 0.93) it can open .webp from xnview browser and has thumbnails, but can't from double clicking the files in windows explorer (it just opens the xnview browser in default folder).

Please check the .webp entry in registry?
I have the same problem since 2-3 weeks ago. The entry in registry is correct.

Please fix it!
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

Please check in Settings>Intergration>File association
Pierre.
Drakan

Post by Drakan »

Same here v0.93.1 64bits
With XnView Classic no problem, but with XnView MP, when you open a .webp file with "Open With.." or associating the file, the program runs, but does not load any image.

In the "Windows 10" registry when it is associated with XnView Classic it appears:
But if you delete the ".webp" and ".webp_auto_file" registry entries when you associate it with XnView MP:

Can that "%1" make a difference? I've tried adding it with:
"C:\Program Files\XnViewMP\xnviewmp.exe" "%1" but even if you delete the entire string ".webp_auto_file" from the registry, keep doing the same thing, the program runs but does not load the image.

DP:
When you click on "Settings>Intergration>File association" Windows 10 tells you "To change the default applications, go to Settings> Applications> Default Applications." but XnViewMP is already associated as the default images program.
Drakan

Post by Drakan »

Ok, I don't know what I did exactly, but I fixed it!
Surely someone can simplify the steps and find simplest solution.

What I did was something like:
1. Run "C:\Program Files\XnViewMP\Associate files with XnViewMP.exe", click on [Unregister from XnViewMP]
2. Open RegEdit "Computer\HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT" and delete the associations that were marked in the program "Associate files with XnViewMP.exe" on mine reg were 4 or 5 assigned files (.png .jpg .bmp .gif .. something like that)
3. Run XnViewMP normally
4. Go to Start Button> Settings> Applications> Default applications, and set the default Windows as a photo viewer, then.. select as photo viewer "XnView MP"

If someone with the same problem can solve with this way or simplify it would be appreciated.
Anyway now in the windows registry if it has been associated well and what I described in my previous post appears:
"C:\Program Files\XnViewMP\xnviewmp.exe" "%1"
(And I have not added it, it has been added automatically) :D
gendalf

Post by gendalf »

the thumbnail issue seems to be windows 10 related, an update to the latest version or an installation of an appropriate codec fixes it.

I've managed to make xnviewmp view open the file, when doubeclicking a .webp, by adding a "%1" at the end of the link in ..ROOT\webp_auto_file (it is without a dot for me btw).
But it seems that path-related issues have appeared, sometimes it opens just fine, other times - depending on the file name, and/or path, it shows a "file not found" error.

I've noticed that the same issue(opens xnview browser instead of the file directly) applies to .svg .gifv .jxr .heic

(latest edit 2020.01.05)
meitricsu

Post by meitricsu »

After more than a year, the problem is....unsolved, although it was solved! Why I say this? Because it was solved somewhere between 0.92 and 0.95 versions. Then, on the 0.97 version, it got broken again! The last version, 0.98.0, still has this bug. So, if you want to use a version that can open webp and svg files without problems, use 0.96.5 version, it works like a charm. I hope this problem gets attention from the devs, because it's so easy to reproduce: just open any webp file and it will open the browser window and not the file; from the browser window, if you double click on the webp file, it will open just fine, but not directly. So, just use 0.96.5 version until they solve it and keep it solved.
XnviewMP 0.96.5 x64