XnConvert ppt or pptx to JPG Not a picture

XnConvert Multi Platform - Windows, MacOSX, Linux

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

wang876

XnConvert ppt or pptx to JPG Not a picture

Post by wang876 »

I tried to convert a pptx file (Microsoft PowerPoint 2016) to jpg, but got an error saying not a picture.

Do I need a plug-in or something to recognize ppt files? I do have ghostscript to convert pdf. Thanks for all the help!

Here is my system config.
XnConvert Version 1.77 - windows x64 (Sep 7 2018) - Libformat version 7.20
Windows 10, 64 bit, Surface Pro 4
wang876

Re: XnConvert ppt or pptx to JPG Not a picture

Post by wang876 »

I want to import a multi-page ppt file, then trim the white space, then export to multiple jpg files at 1200 DPI.

PowerPoint only allows 300 DPI for JPG export, which is quite stupid. I hope XnConvert can fix this problem. Thanks!
cday
XnThusiast

Post by cday »

wang876 wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 5:55 pm I want to import a multi-page ppt file, then trim the white space, then export to multiple jpg files at 1200 DPI.

PowerPoint only allows 300 DPI for JPG export, which is quite stupid. I hope XnConvert can fix this problem. Thanks!

I can open an example ppt file I downloaded in XnConvert, again it doesn't seem to be possible to step through the pages in the Input tab preview, so I think what you wish to do should be possible...

And I don't see any setting in XnConvert that needs to be set in order to open ppt files, but note that pptx is not listed as supported extension.
wang876

Post by wang876 »

I converted pptx to ppt, but still does not work. Could you please help to take a look at the file below?

I can see the thumbnail of the ppt, but cannot export as JPG.

Thanks so much for the help!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xv4fh4xbdb7m0fw/test.ppt?dl=0
cday
XnThusiast

Post by cday »

Seems to be more than one problem, confusing... :(

Both your file above and the file I downloaded and have attached below, when loaded in XnConvert 1.77, display thumbnails on the Input tab, but do not display in the Preview window...

Note: To display a preview, it is sometimes necessary to click on the small arrow between the Actions window and the Preview window.

However, when loaded in XnConvert 1.71 for example, both files display thumbnails on the Input tab, and mine displays a preview but yours does not...

So a possible bug in XnConvert 1.77 relative to 1.71, and a seeming difference between your file and mine...

If possible could you confirm the above and provide the result of any further tests you can perform.

Note: Both files open normally in LibreOffice Impress.

Edit: I'm not sure now that there is in fact a difference between 1.77 and 1.77, it has all been rather confusing!
Attachments
PowerPointSequenceOptions.zip
(152.46 KiB) Downloaded 40 times
cday
XnThusiast

Post by cday »

@wang876 -- I've just added a small update to my post after you logged on, please read it again.
wang876

Post by wang876 »

I am using XnConvert 1.77.

For your file, it worked for me!
For my file, still does not work.

when loaded in XnConvert 1.77, both files display thumbnails on the Input tab, and your displays a preview but mine does not...

So it seems to be the ppt file format problem.

It should be noted that my file was created in PowerPoint 2016 (pptx format), then saved as ppt format. Not sure whether that would be the problem.

It would be nice if XnConvert can support pptx files.

Btw, can you specify the export resolution of ppt files (>300 DPI)? I can't find that option. But the image resolution from your exported file seems to be low.

thanks for all thelp!
cday
XnThusiast

Post by cday »

wang876 wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:47 pm I am using XnConvert 1.77.

For your file, it worked for me!
For my file, still does not work.

When loaded in XnConvert 1.77, both files display thumbnails on the Input tab, and your displays a preview but mine does not...

So it seems to be the ppt file format problem.
O.K.

It should be noted that my file was created in PowerPoint 2016 (pptx format), then saved as ppt format. Not sure whether that would be the problem.
Well possibly, but that shouldn't be the case... If you have a problem you could possibly try converting using LibreOffice Impress, if you don't have another solution...

It would be nice if XnConvert can support pptx files.
Yes...

Btw, can you specify the export resolution of ppt files (>300 DPI)? I can't find that option. But the image resolution from your exported file seems to be low.

You could try adding the action Image > Set DPI ...

I presume that Powerpoint ppt files use vector text and other content, and don't know what determines the resolution when they are opened as bitmaps, not Ghostscript I'm reasonably sure.
wang876

Post by wang876 »

Thank you so much for your replies! Essentially, my goal is to create figures in ppt, then convert to jpeg in high res without white margins.

I currently print ppt/pptx into high res pdf, then using XnConver to convert pdf into jpeg. So far, it works fine.

It would be cool not going through pdf. Anyway, pretty nice already.

I used to use Microsoft Visio to create figures. but not everybody has it. PowerPoint would be a more universal solution.

Thanks a lot! Happy New Year!