Output filenames in lowercase?

Discussions on NConvert - the command line tool for image conversion and manipulation

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

cyberspectre

Output filenames in lowercase?

Post by cyberspectre »

I'm pretty sure nconvert can do this, because xnviewmp can. But it's not listed in the manpage. How can you output filenames in lowercase?
cday
XnThusiast

Re: Output filenames in lowercase?

Post by cday »

cyberspectre wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:38 pm I'm pretty sure nconvert can do this, because xnviewmp can. But it's not listed in the manpage. How can you output filenames in lowercase?

Output filenames are set using the -o switch:

Code: Select all

-o filename       : Output filename
              Use # to specify position of numeric enumerator
              Use % to specify source filename
              Use $ to specify full source pathname
              Use $$ to specify source folder name
              Use $EXIF:DateModified[date format] to specify EXIF date modified
              Use $EXIF:DateTaken[date format] to specify EXIF date taken
									Date format: Please check documentation of strftime
What form of output filenames do you need? If lowercase letters are used in the above options or in the source filenames, they will also be used in the output filenames. If you wish to change uppercase letters in the source filenames to lowercase, I doubt if that is possible using NConvert, however I may be able to suggest a possible solution...

[Edited]
cyberspectre

Post by cyberspectre »

Moderator's note: Apologies, you post has been inadvertently overwritten, please see the following post which quotes your post.
cday
XnThusiast

Post by cday »

cyberspectre wrote: ↑21 Nov 2018, 21:38 wrote: Thanks. The files to be converted use both upper and lowercase characters. I want the nconvert output files to have all lowercase characters. What would you suggest?
I was thinking of the command line utility Bulk Rename Command.

I'm not very familiar with it, as I've only used it once or twice and not recently, so you will have to read the literature to see if it supports renaming filenames containing uppercase letters to lowercase.

Note: Probably not an issue in your case, but as far as I know Windows (and quite possibly Linux also) command line utilities read source files in a non-Windows sort order, so that filles numbered 1, 2, 10, 11 are read in the order 1, 10, 11, 2... That can result in, for example, successive pages of a document being in the wrong order.

As far as I know there is no solution other than padding the file numbers with leading zeros when necessary, which as far as I know can only be done in Windows without encountering the same issue. If you come across a solution please post!
cyberspectre

Post by cyberspectre »

cday wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:56 pm
cyberspectre wrote: ↑21 Nov 2018, 21:38 wrote: Thanks. The files to be converted use both upper and lowercase characters. I want the nconvert output files to have all lowercase characters. What would you suggest?
I was thinking of the command line utility Bulk Rename Command.

I'm not very familiar with it, as I've only used it once or twice and not recently, so you will have to read the literature to see if it supports renaming filenames containing uppercase letters to lowercase.

Note: Probably not an issue in your case, but as far as I know Windows (and quite possibly Linux also) command line utilities read source files in a non-Windows sort order, so that filles numbered 1, 2, 10, 11 are read in the order 1, 10, 11, 2... That can result in, for example, successive pages of a document being in the wrong order.

As far as I know there is no solution other than padding the file numbers with leading zeros when necessary, which as far as I know can only be done in Windows without encountering the same issue. If you come across a solution please post!
Interesting. Thanks for the insight. I'm surprised it isn't built into nconvert, considering XnViewMP can do it.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

i'll add it
Pierre.
cyberspectre

Post by cyberspectre »

xnview wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:33 ami'll add it
You're the man, Pierre! I'll keep my eye out for the next release.