PDF file name with French accent letters doesn't open

Discussions on NConvert - the command line tool for image conversion and manipulation

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

Hrvgl

PDF file name with French accent letters doesn't open

Post by Hrvgl »

It seems that it is not possible to convert a PDF file to a BMP file when the filename has a french accent letter "éçà...".
The report shows that the name is not properly translated to the GS DLL, and so the DLL does not find the PDF file.
cday
XnThusiast

Re: PDF file name with french accent letters

Post by cday »

Hrvgl wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:40 pm It seems that it is not possible to convert a PDF file to a BMP file when the filename has a french accent letter "éçà...".
The report shows that the name is not properly translated to the GS DLL, and so the DLL does not find the PDF file.
Confirmed for NConvert 7.20 :(

But NConvert 6.35 does open files with unicode accents in the filename, I haven't checked later versions... :D

Earlier versions of XnView software can be download from this link: Old versions .
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

NConvert is not unicode, on french Windows, i have no problem with lastest version
Pierre.
cday
XnThusiast

Post by cday »

xnview wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:52 am NConvert is not unicode, on french Windows, i have no problem with lastest version
Ah...

But on my computer NConvert 6.35 opened a test PDF file which 7.20 doesn't... ??

Possibly related to NConvert compatibility with different GS versions???
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

x64 version of NConvert? With same ghostcript version?
Pierre.
cday
XnThusiast

Post by cday »

xnview wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:16 pm x64 version of NConvert? With same ghostcript version?
I am having difficulty reproducing now, possibly something in my workflow was relevant, or possibly I became confused... And with the number of variables potentially involved, it is not really practical to spend more time at the moment.

You are saying that NConvert does not support Unicode, and that whether filenames with accents are read or not depends on the particular computer locale?